Rothstein: Kevin Ollie Q&A | The Boneyard

Rothstein: Kevin Ollie Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Good interview.

There are a lot of things that need to go right for us but, really, I think this is one of if not the biggest issues:

"And we want [Brimah] to rebound better. He averaged four rebounds per game last year -- that's unacceptable for a 7-footer that we want to go to the next level."

I know we've got Miller and Enoch, but Brimah's got to hold his own on the glass. His rebounding was unacceptable.

I guess it's a good thing that he can knock down 15-footers but, frankly, I want him focusing on his post moves and rebounding position. But I trust the coaching staff, and I'm glad KO is telling people that Brimah's rebounding needs major improvement. Brimah won't sniff the 1st round of the NBA Draft until he improves 50-100% in terms of rebounding.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Good interview.

There are a lot of things that need to go right for us but, really, I think this is one of if not the biggest issues:

"And we want [Brimah] to rebound better. He averaged four rebounds per game last year -- that's unacceptable for a 7-footer that we want to go to the next level."

I know we've got Miller and Enoch, but Brimah's got to hold his own on the glass. His rebounding was unacceptable.

I guess it's a good thing that he can knock down 15-footers but, frankly, I want him focusing on his post moves and rebounding position. But I trust the coaching staff, and I'm glad KO is telling people that Brimah's rebounding needs major improvement. Brimah won't sniff the 1st round of the NBA Draft until he improves 50-100% in terms of rebounding.
Funny - that was the line that stuck out to me as well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've set my sights on breaking skin's record for craziest fan reaction at a pre season island tourney.

@tcf15 do you have that .gif so I can study up?
If I was thirty years younger you'd have a battle on your hands. As it is if you are near my wife you may want to bring ear plugs.

If UConn wins it all I might end up thirty years younger!:)

Reaction Score
If Brimah gets his jumper consistent I could really care less about post moves, he looks way more fluid and natural shooting jumpers than he does trying to shoot jump hooks with either hand. He should have been shooting more jumpers last year than he did, there was a game against Tulsa where he hit like 3 or 4 face up jumpers and the reporters brought it up post game and he said he didn't like shooting jumpers because it made him look soft as a big man, he needs to abandon that mentality. If you got a good stroke and shooting motion, which he already does, it's much easier to become a consistent shooter than it is to develop a post game if you don't have the natural feel and footwork.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
How the heck is tempo even ranked?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
How the heck is tempo even ranked?
It's not a measure of success, its an indicator of strategic intent. Ollie's not saying we were the "worst" at tempo, he's saying we were one of the slowest which was an approach inconsistent with our skillset and therefore a problem.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
It's not a measure of success, its an indicator of strategic intent. Ollie's not saying we were the "worst" at tempo, he's saying we were one of the slowest which was an approach inconsistent with our skillset and therefore a problem.
He said were ranked in the 300s. Was he joking around?

I ask assuming there is actually a sabermetric stat.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He said were ranked in the 300s. Was he joking around?

I ask assuming there is actually a sabermetric stat.
No he means our possessions per game was factually one of the lowest in D1 Mens Basketball.

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjTempo

302 according to Kenpom. Edit: It was 305, I was linked up to 2016 forecast. But it looks like KP hasn't really shifted off last years results that much in his forecast.

Now 10 possessions per game separate the fastest and slowest playing teams in the game and actually a good defensive team slows down its own numbers because your poss per game is a measure of how long your opponents are eating into the shot clock as much as it is a measure of your own pace.

And taken by itself it means nothing, if you are more efficient in your offense than your opponent is it doesnt matter if you use 65 chances better than they do or if you use 75 better than they do.

The point is we had Rodney Purvis, we had Ryan Boatright, we had one of the fastest big men in college basketball in the open floor and we didn't exploit it. Now we still have two of those things and some more freak athletes in the mix and a crap ton of depth. If we don't use that to our advantage, shame on us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Their tempo was so slow last year because of the frontcourts ineptness to rebound. That forced Hamilton and the guards to hang back and help out which resulted in less fast break opportunities.

Shonn will help in this department this year but Amida needs to grab at least 7 boards a game to really help out the team to play faster

Reaction Score
Their tempo was so slow last year because of the frontcourts ineptness to rebound. That forced Hamilton and the guards to hang back and help out which resulted in less fast break opportunities.

Shonn will help in this department this year but Amida needs to grab at least 7 boards a game to really help out the team to play faster

If AB gets to 7 and Shonn gets his share DHam's numbers will come down but that's ok. Wondering how good of an outlet passer Miller is? Most of our actual transactions off of rebounds were DHam pushing himself after a board and while that's okay once in a while we need to throw it out and GO, with thee likes of DHam, Rodney and Shonn filling lanes.

Reaction Score
Last year Brimah has three games with double digit rebounds.

He had six games with one rebound.

It should be pretty easy for him to get to five a game. Seven a game will require some effort. Anything more means we're looking at a a whole new AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom