Roster NBA Player Comparison Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roster NBA Player Comparison Thread

Reaction Score
what doesnt make sense? it doesnt make sense that everyone has anointed AJ like this based on high school dunk videos. right now he stacks up a lot more favorably to kwintin williams than justice winslow. if justice was such an undersized starting PF on a loaded team then how can you say AJ is the better athlete as a frosh than justice was? what is it based on?
I tried to help you out with some of this. His name is Justise Winslow, he is 6'4.5 and was ready right away as a college freshman. He was an excellent shooter at Duke, Jackson's shooting needs a ton of work at this level. Jackson not being ready quite yet has nothing to do with his athleticism. Nobody said anything about taking Jackson over Winslow as a college freshman. The poster said he thinks Jackson is more athletic than Winslow, I agree with him. You bringing up Kwintin Williams ain't helping your cause, he was bad athlete on the court at this level. Give it some time with Jackson, if you can't see he's an athletic freak I don't know what to tell you.

Your first sentence of the second paragraph doesn't mean what you think it means, that's why I asked you to reread it.

Reaction Score
I tried to help you out with some of this. His name is Justise Winslow, he is 6'4.5 and was ready right away as a college freshman. He was an excellent shooter at Duke, Jackson's shooting needs a ton of work at this level. Jackson not being ready quite yet has nothing to do with his athleticism. Nobody said anything about taking Jackson over Winslow as a college freshman. The poster said he thinks Jackson is more athletic than Winslow, I agree with him. You bringing up Kwintin Williams ain't helping your cause, he was bad athlete on the court at this level. Give it some time with Jackson, if you can't see he's an athletic freak I don't know what to tell you.

Your first sentence of the second paragraph doesn't mean what you think it means, that's why I asked you to reread it.
appreciate you not just dismissing my argument. i agree with the gist of what you're saying but there's a couple key distinctions i wanna clarify:
1) the fact that justise was undersized and had to play against bigger/stronger PFs means he had to make up for those disadvantages with his superior athleticism. it sounds like you're saying winslow being shorter than AJ makes his athleticism less impressive, but i think it's the opposite given that winslow had to play up a position.

2) i 100% agree that AJ not being "ready" has nothing to do with his athleticism, i guess i failed to articulate that notion. but if AJ's allegedly in the top percentile of bball athletes then he should have been able to rely on his athleticism alone in order to make a noticeable impact. i brought up tyrus thomas because he had the bare minimum of requisite bball skill (as opposed to kwintin) but still played himself into the lotto as a frosh.

3) pointing out "the fact that winslow was playing with multiple pros" was meant to contrast their circumstances even further. while winslow was obviously the better all around player, imo his single best attribute as a frosh was still his athleticism, per my first point. similarly, AJs best attribute is undoubtedly his athleticism. yet while winslow was a starter on a champ team, AJ could barely muster 8 mpg on a borderline tourney team. per my second point, if AJ's as freaky as we thought it's inexplicable that he could barley crack the rotation competing against martin and polley. for as you said, it's not like he was competing with quinn cook, grayson allen, semi ojelye etc. because being benched behind them would be understandable.

i hope AJ turns out to be the freak we thought we were getting as much as anyone but i need to see something, anything, before i agree that his athleticism is hard to compare to any nba players.

Reaction Score
appreciate you not just dismissing my argument. i agree with the gist of what you're saying but there's a couple key distinctions i wanna clarify:
1) the fact that justise was undersized and had to play against bigger/stronger PFs means he had to make up for those disadvantages with his superior athleticism. it sounds like you're saying winslow being shorter than AJ makes his athleticism less impressive, but i think it's the opposite given that winslow had to play up a position.

2) i 100% agree that AJ not being "ready" has nothing to do with his athleticism, i guess i failed to articulate that notion. but if AJ's allegedly in the top percentile of bball athletes then he should have been able to rely on his athleticism alone in order to make a noticeable impact. i brought up tyrus thomas because he had the bare minimum of requisite bball skill (as opposed to kwintin) but still played himself into the lotto as a frosh.

3) pointing out "the fact that winslow was playing with multiple pros" was meant to contrast their circumstances even further. while winslow was obviously the better all around player, imo his single best attribute as a frosh was still his athleticism, per my first point. similarly, AJs best attribute is undoubtedly his athleticism. yet while winslow was a starter on a champ team, AJ could barely muster 8 mpg on a borderline tourney team. per my second point, if AJ's as freaky as we thought it's inexplicable that he could barley crack the rotation competing against martin and polley. for as you said, it's not like he was competing with quinn cook, grayson allen, semi ojelye etc. because being benched behind them would be understandable.

i hope AJ turns out to be the freak we thought we were getting as much as anyone but i need to see something, anything, before i agree that his athleticism is hard to compare to any nba players.
I don't know nothing about nothing, and I don't have a position on this argument. I do have a thought that might be relevant, though:

Perhaps Jackson's meager playing time has to do with some of Hurley's lines in the sand. For example, I believe I recall reading quotes from Hurley indicating that Jackson is lost on defense. Maybe he is sending a message along the lines of, "I don't care if you're the most athletic human on the planet and can do all kinds of positive things with that. If you don't do X, Y and Z, you're sitting."

All this is to say that it is not necessarily the case that his lack of playing time means he is not an überathletic freak.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Two comps that I like:

Bouknight - his ceiling is Demar DeRozan with an outside shot IMO. Athletic, crafty & can get to the rim in a variety of ways. Bouk is slightly shorter, but I see a lot of similarities in their games.

Andre - I know saying his name on this board is taboo, but the physical measurements/skillsets of Andre & Hamidou Diallo are quite similar. Insane athletes, with above average dribbling/passing skills --- yet struggle mightily with their respective shots.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Two comps that I like:

Bouknight - his ceiling is Demar DeRozan with an outside shot IMO. Athletic, crafty & can get to the rim in a variety of ways. Bouk is slightly shorter, but I see a lot of similarities in their games.

Andre - I know saying his name on this board is taboo, but the physical measurements/skillsets of Andre & Hamidou Diallo are quite similar. Insane athletes, with above average dribbling/passing skills --- yet struggle mightily with their respective shots.
Andre is bigger. Saw Diallo got decent minutes the other night. Same game as college, try to overpower, get stopped, kick it out wildly at the last second. Wonder what gm's think about his nba lifeline at this point?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

You may need to distinguish who AJ is lest the board somehow confuse current AJ- Andre Jackson with AJ Price, who has not played for us in 50 years.

I only bring this up b/c several BY'ers seemed to all of sudden become clueless when I used AJ a week ago in reference to Jackson rather than Andre. The BY, gotta overlook a whole lotta stuff here, hypocrisy and all.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
If Sanogo develops an outside shot he's Paul Millsap.
I would love to see that kind of improvement. This is his ceiling, I would think. Wonder about his lack of playing time last night?

Reaction Score
I would love to see that kind of improvement. This is his ceiling, I would think. Wonder about his lack of playing time last night?
Watch the first 4-5 minutes of the game. I’m not sure what happened but he looked out of it. Like he was nervous or maybe too hyped. Then Josh came in and was playing very well so those 2 things made it hard to go back to Sanogo. He’s a freshman so you have to expect those ups and downs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom