Roster Chart - mid Jan 2018 update | The Boneyard

Roster Chart - mid Jan 2018 update

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hoping that by Sunday night I can update again for some new commitments.

Of note, on the far right of the first sheet I mapped out the headcount vs the 25 slot new NLI annual cap. Looks like the staff could take 9 rather than 7 more new NLI kids. To do so would require postponing a scholarship for Donaldson until fall 2018 and Keating fall 2019. Walks on awarded a scholarship after the completion of 2 academic years do not count towards the annual cap.

Edit - couldn't get the link to work in this post - see next post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well - suddenly I am unable to share my drive. Not sure the problem, have tried several times to fix the link, no dice just yet.

Can’t scroll down on depth chart only across at the moment

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can’t scroll down on depth chart only across at the moment
Hmm, I have no problem scrolling both ways...but it can be a bit clumsy.

Note: I have incountered the inability to scroll down when viewing on a phone which is not a problem on a computer.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
With respect to depth charts, its pretty much impossible to pencil out the secondary and defensive line. A few kids will come into camp this summer amped to play and surprise us by making the two deep. Which kids exactly is impossible to say when its this wide open. Plus some will get injured which will force changes to the best laid plans.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in seeing if any of the incoming freshmen D linemen are good enough to play this fall. In a perfect world any linemen should be redshirted. However, I don't think we have that luxury. Best 5-6 on the roster make the rotation there.

Now that I think about it, that should be true for any position. We have to maximize wins.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm interested in seeing if any of the incoming freshmen D linemen are good enough to play this fall. In a perfect world any linemen should be redshirted. However, I don't think we have that luxury. Best 5-6 on the roster make the rotation there.

Now that I think about it, that should be true for any position. We have to maximize wins.

Jones is so big that he could

Reaction Score
Priority focus: I'm good with the projected 7-5 record under Exit 4's "Scheduling" link.
Bowl-bound baby!

Reaction Score
Wow! Only 2 seniors on defensive side of ball. It could be ugly this year.
If Jones starts, he's so big he's worth 2 seniors. Lwal Uguak is a nice recruit also but less chance he starts right away.

Reaction Score
A lot of them played last year. Hopefully a year of maturity will mean things will be at least a little less ugly. Really couldn’t be more ugly.

Reaction Score
You really don't need that graduated/transferred list. They ain't coming through that door.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You really don't need that graduated/transferred list. They ain't coming through that door.
Yes - well that column is there to show we have room for tranfers and that if don’t field any we will have unused scholarship slots.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I updated the roster chart moments ago. The link above should still work and connect to the updated chart.

Given the staff continues to pursue Dlineman including making some new twitter connections, I think its likly the stated plan to add 2/2/1/1/1 for OL/DB/DL/LB/RB has been revised to include a second Dlineman and at least 8 additional new NLIs.

Therefore, in the chart I revised for eight new NLIs thus leaving just two spaces for transfers (which could be enough space for as many as four new transfer kids if we postpone awarding scholarships to walk ons).

On the recruiting front:
notables:
i) Mike Z started following this Chattanooga commit - Drew Butler who is 6'5'' or 6'6'' and 243lbs playing DE. Not the fastest, but consistently beats lineman off the snap and plays with his pad level down despite his height. I like his natural physicality. Maybe this could be a back up plan if we miss on Landon Woodson. Dre also plays hoops.

ii) Regarding Antwione Sims - I wonder if the staff is seeking clarity from the NCAA regarding his original Navy NLI and whether it would count (despite attending their post grad prep school) as a signed qualified offer. The distinction is important because if his time at Navy PG school counts as a qualified offer, then Sims would be exempt from the 25 player cap making him much more desirable as it is difficult to find players that can get around the limit. The 25 player cap is only applies to first time D1 scholarship kids, therefore JUCOs count against the cap, but transfers from other D1 programs do not.

Reaction Score
Jason Thompson, Daniel Oak, and Anthony Watkins all moving on with a year of eligibility left?

Any chance of E.J. Levenberry getting a medical red-shirt and coming back for one more season?

Reaction Score
Knowing Edsall's and Dunn's offensive philosophy, gotta think Jay Rose figures prominently at TE.
I see big things from Tyler Davis, with Jay Rose in tow.. Davis provides that blue collar effort on the field. He's a little more proven than Rose right now. Also, hopefully Z. Holman can step up for us at the position as well.

Reaction Score
ii) Regarding Antwione Sims - I wonder if the staff is seeking clarity from the NCAA regarding his original Navy NLI and whether it would count (despite attending their post grad prep school) as a signed qualified offer. The distinction is important because if his time at Navy PG school counts as a qualified offer, then Sims would be exempt from the 25 player cap making him much more desirable as it is difficult to find players that can get around the limit. The 25 player cap is only applies to first time D1 scholarship kids, therefore JUCOs count against the cap, but transfers from other D1 programs do not.
would be nice to bring this young man in along with a Dante Black... We need as much depth as possible...

Reaction Score
If it's like Army Prep (and I think it is) then it wouldn't be eligible for the exemption. Army Prep students must still apply for admission to the academy following their prep year and are not guaranteed admission. I'm certain that recruited athletes get every advantage in gaining that admission (especially since the coaches use it as a de facto red shirt program), but they are still not considered academy cadets until they enroll for plebe summer.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If it's like Army Prep (and I think it is) then it wouldn't be eligible for the exemption. Army Prep students must still apply for admission to the academy following their prep year and are not guaranteed admission. I'm certain that recruited athletes get every advantage in gaining that admission (especially since the coaches use it as a de facto red shirt program), but they are still not considered academy cadets until they enroll for plebe summer.
Yes, that is what I feared. Bummer.

Reaction Score
Wow! Only 2 seniors on defensive side of ball. It could be ugly this year.

We had 8 senior starters on D last year - one could reasonably argue that was not a benefit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom