Roster Chart - mid Jan 2018 update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roster Chart - mid Jan 2018 update

Reaction Score
It really is incredible how young our secondary is going to be. So many spots up for grabs in all levels of the defense. I'm mentally preparing myself for a lot more growing pains....

Reaction Score
It really is incredible how young our secondary is going to be. So many spots up for grabs in all levels of the defense. I'm mentally preparing myself for a lot more growing pains....
We need a GS transfer and a surprise JUCO pick up to help tone down all that inexperience...

Reaction Score
Updated again.

Btw, I left David Nwaogwugwu on the chart for now as a candidate for a remaining slot even though he has committed to Temple.

You might want to change that to Pierce DeVaughn... I think that ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
The defense is going to be awful. So much youth at DL and DB

Reaction Score
The defense is going to be awful. So much youth at DL and DB

Will RE bring the offense back to a snails pace to protect the D and try to keep the games closer?

Reaction Score
Will RE bring the offense back to a snails pace to protect the D and try to keep the games closer?
I think its going to depend on how ready our QB is and how the OL shakes out

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I'm not totally sure, but when I hear RE talk about Dunn, it sounds like he's interested in installing something like BC's offense...no huddle, but an emphasis on running the ball, not lining up in shotgun much. We'll see how it works.

Reaction Score
I'm not totally sure, but when I hear RE talk about Dunn, it sounds like he's interested in installing something like BC's offense...no huddle, but an emphasis on running the ball, not lining up in shotgun much. We'll see how it works.
That is a scary thought.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I find this theory to be ridiculously ironic. Therefore...I really, really, really hope not.

You know how you keep your defense off the field? 1st downs. Last I checked, there will still be a 40 second play clock and the game clock will still stop after incomplete passes. Assuming individual plays take an average of 5 seconds, if an offense doesn't convert a 3rd down, the maximum run off would be 132 seconds (1st down (5) - 39 - 2nd down (5) - 39 - 3rd down (5) - 39 - 4th down (kick)) before the defense has to go back on the field in some capacity.

Better to dial up the offense than to "slow it down."

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
That is a scary thought.

I mean, it's come to work for BC once they got a solid RB. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but when I hear no huddle, under center offense that's one that fits the bill. It's a pretty fast pace but different than Lashlee's spread option, and it def doesn't sound like that's what we'll be running. We'll throw the ball more than BC because we don't have AJ Dillon, but I think we'll work more passes in that use the middle of the field than the bubble screens we saw under RL and will have the opportunity to run on 3rd and short without ourselves by doing so out of the gun

Reaction Score
Jerry Kill runs a 'multiple, no huddle offense' which is the same idea that RE is looking to implement under Dunn. Here's an article on that:

Is a no-huddle the same as a hurry-up offense? | Jerry Kill's 'multiple' plans for Rutgers
I understand your point. It certainly fits Edsall's style of offensive better. However, after watching 6 years of Pasqualoni and Diaco under center type offensive schemes here, I much prefer the type of offense installed by Lashlee. I was hoping that who ever replaced Lashlee would just build on what he started here. Going back to tight formations and running up the middle is not formula for winning in our conference. Memphis, Central Florida and South Florida are still going to be scoring 40 points a game against us even if we slow down our offense. If Dunn is going to use Lashlee's offense but add a little prostyle offense so we are more effective in the red zone I would be okay with that. If we are going to abandon our spread offense, then I'm going to become very concerned.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I want installed whatever offense we can execute well. If we have a better chance of first downs and scoring by running the ball more than passing, so be it. Certainly the passing game is more exciting and what I'd rather watch, but at this point I just want to win.

Reaction Score
So after the additions from today I have us still with 7 open scholarships. We have 78 accounted for with the possibility that we give 1 to Mason Donaldson and 1 to the LS Brian Keating.

Breakdown.

Offense:

QB (5): David Pindell, Marvin Washington, Brandon Bisack, Jordan McAffee, Steven Krajewski
RB (4): Kevin Mensah, Nate Hopkins, Kyhon Gillespie, Dante Black
WR (13): Hergy Mayala, Quayvon Skanes, Aaron McLean, Tyler Davis, Tyraiq Beals, Keyion Dixon, Zavier Scott, Donovan Williams, Garrison Burnett, Kyle Buss, Cameron Hairston, Elijah Jeffreys, Heron Maurisseau-Oneal, --------- (((Mason Donaldson)))
TE (3): Jay Rose, Zordan Holman, Ryan Fitton
OL (14): Matt Peart, Nino Leone, Ryan Crozier, Cam DeGeorge, Ryan Van Der Mark, James Tunstall, Robert Holmes, Stanley Hubbard, Bryan Cespedes, Ian Campbell, Noel Ofori-Nyadu, Peter Rooney, Dylan Niedrowski, Christian Haynes

--------------
39 (+Mason Donaldson)

Defense:

DL (11): Connor Freeborn, AJ Garson, Phillipe Okounam, James Atkins, Kevin Murphy, Caleb Thomas, Noel Brouse, Travis Jones, Lwal Uguak, Jonathan Pace, Pierce DeVaughn,
LB (8): Eddie Hahn, Eli Thomas, Santana Sterling, TJ Gardner, Darrian Beavers, Ryan Gilmartin, Kevon Jones, Hunter Webb
DB (17): Tahj Herring-Wilson, Omar Fortt, Tyler Coyle, Marshe Terry, Jordan Swann, Abiola Olaniyan, Robert King III, Ian Swenson, Jeremy Lucien, Malik Xavier Banks, Shamel Lazarus, Jordan Morrison, O'niel Robinson, Ryan Carroll, Keyshawn Paul, Messiah Turner, Jalon Farrell

--------------

Special Teams:

K (1): Michael Tarbutt
P (2): Brett Graham, Luke Magliozzi
LS (1): (((Brian Keating)))

----------------

39+36+3=78

Anything I missed?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree with your analysis. So my guess is that we add 1 to 3 more kids before 4/1 under this class and do everything they can to open channels for transfers after spring football for the remaining slots. Because of the 25 head per annum cap on new scholarships (transfers are exempt from the limit if from a four year program) we can only add at most three more "new" scholarship kids. Got to fill in all those remaining slots with transfers after spring. And my guess is that our crowded DB pool will push at least one kid out of the program or to WR after spring ball.

We have all winter to put the word out UConn is open for transfers - particularly at all positions but QB and WR.

Reaction Score
So after the additions from today I have us still with 7 open scholarships. We have 78 accounted for with the possibility that we give 1 to Mason Donaldson and 1 to the LS Brian Keating.

Breakdown.

Offense:

QB (5): David Pindell, Marvin Washington, Brandon Bisack, Jordan McAffee, Steven Krajewski
RB (4): Kevin Mensah, Nate Hopkins, Kyhon Gillespie, Dante Black
WR (13): Hergy Mayala, Quayvon Skanes, Aaron McLean, Tyler Davis, Tyraiq Beals, Keyion Dixon, Zavier Scott, Donovan Williams, Garrison Burnett, Kyle Buss, Cameron Hairston, Elijah Jeffreys, Heron Maurisseau-Oneal, --------- (((Mason Donaldson)))
TE (3): Jay Rose, Zordan Holman, Ryan Fitton
OL (14): Matt Peart, Nino Leone, Ryan Crozier, Cam DeGeorge, Ryan Van Der Mark, James Tunstall, Robert Holmes, Stanley Hubbard, Bryan Cespedes, Ian Campbell, Noel Ofori-Nyadu, Peter Rooney, Dylan Niedrowski, Christian Haynes

--------------
39 (+Mason Donaldson)

Defense:

DL (11): Connor Freeborn, AJ Garson, Phillipe Okounam, James Atkins, Kevin Murphy, Caleb Thomas, Noel Brouse, Travis Jones, Lwal Uguak, Jonathan Pace, Pierce DeVaughn,
LB (8): Eddie Hahn, Eli Thomas, Santana Sterling, TJ Gardner, Darrian Beavers, Ryan Gilmartin, Kevon Jones, Hunter Webb
DB (17): Tahj Herring-Wilson, Omar Fortt, Tyler Coyle, Marshe Terry, Jordan Swann, Abiola Olaniyan, Robert King III, Ian Swenson, Jeremy Lucien, Malik Xavier Banks, Shamel Lazarus, Jordan Morrison, O'niel Robinson, Ryan Carroll, Keyshawn Paul, Messiah Turner, Jalon Farrell

--------------

Special Teams:

K (1): Michael Tarbutt
P (2): Brett Graham, Luke Magliozzi
LS (1): (((Brian Keating)))

----------------

39+36+3=78

Anything I missed?

Really nice job putting this together. Looking at the defense, I'm telling you that by game 3 or earlier few if any of the upper class men will be starting. On the DL Okounam and Murphy will be in the rotation and I think we will see a lot of the 4 freshman, Jones, Ugawak, Pace and DeVaughn. Linebackers Jones and Webb will push Sterling, Gardner and Beavers. Wish they got the kid from Alabama. For DB I don't see anyone who needs to see the field besides the incoming freshman. I realize that it is somewhat crazy to project guys who have never played at this level before and expect them to be the answer. But, I see one thing they have in common and that is an aggressive style of play. What could change this? More confidence from the returning DBs and the spread of a more aggressive culture ignited by this freshman class. Love me some Uconn football!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Updated my roster chart.

For now I am assuming:
i) We use the three remaining 2018 slots in some way with spring additions (like we did with Mensah).
ii) We add three grad transfers per Edsall's quote today regarding transfer capacity. Of course, we could get regular transfers as well which have to sit out a year.
iii) We use the seventh slot on Mason Donaldson which is just a guess on my part. Could go to Keating or maybe someplace else.

Last edited:

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Donovan Williams and Tyler Davis will end up at TE/ H-back.

Reaction Score
Really nice job putting this together. Looking at the defense, I'm telling you that by game 3 or earlier few if any of the upper class men will be starting. On the DL Okounam and Murphy will be in the rotation and I think we will see a lot of the 4 freshman, Jones, Ugawak, Pace and DeVaughn. Linebackers Jones and Webb will push Sterling, Gardner and Beavers. Wish they got the kid from Alabama. For DB I don't see anyone who needs to see the field besides the incoming freshman. I realize that it is somewhat crazy to project guys who have never played at this level before and expect them to be the answer. But, I see one thing they have in common and that is an aggressive style of play. What could change this? More confidence from the returning DBs and the spread of a more aggressive culture ignited by this freshman class. Love me some Uconn football!

You've got a lot of faith in a lot of guys who have never taken 1 CFB snap.

Reaction Score
You've got a lot of faith in a lot of guys who have never taken 1 CFB snap.

I'm not sure if its faith or just that I didn't see much out of the returning players on D. Offense is a different story. These guys are going to have to play. I'm hopeful there will be some surprises with the returning guys or maybe an impact transfer. It won't take much to improve on last year's defense and I think guys who can run to the ball and hit people will have to see the field.

Reaction Score

If we have 4 true freshman in the defensive line rotation then we are in for a long season.

Reaction Score
If we have 4 true freshman in the defensive line rotation then we are in for a long season.

That may be true, but has anyone seen from the returning guys to think they can play at this level? These are the "Diaco consequences". I think Murphy works hard and will be in the rotation. Okounam, I'm more hoping. Maybe one of the Oline moves over, someone else develops or hopefully a transfer or two. Forcing one or two more punts a game would be a big improvement that would result in more wins. Just having guys who can hit, even if they are a little raw, will be an improvement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom