Roscoe still a rebound warrior | The Boneyard

Roscoe still a rebound warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we are wrong to just assume that Roscoe Smith would be doing this production for us ...

He played hard, while sitting out, against the #1 pick in the NBA draft last year and the talented Mike Moser. Plus Khem Birch and others. At UNLV, he has grown into this player. There is no guarantee that he would have come out of his Sophomore funk into the player that gets 14 rebounds a game.

I do, however, have confidence in Kevin Ollie's ability to develop kids. But ....

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm glad he's been able to flash those wing skills that were being underutilized in Storrs.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Been four days since the time we had a sticks thread

Reaction Score
He would have graduated last year.

He's considered a Jr basketball eligibility wise. 2 Years at UConn & this is his first year at UNLV playing, so he has another year of eligibility left at UNLV.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don't you worry, it's been posted.

It'll be posted again.

Maybe we should just sticky a thread that reads "Roscoe Smith rebounds ball at UNLV"

I want a flippin' mix tape of every gawd damned rebound he gets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What do you mean he's "still" a rebound warrior? He didn't really blow us all away with his rebounding here, in the first place.

Reaction Score
What do you mean he's "still" a rebound warrior? He didn't really blow us all away with his rebounding here, in the first place.

Roscoe averaged 5.2 rebounds at UConn as a freshman. That's better than any of our frontcourt players are averaging this year. He has always been a very good rebounder.

Reaction Score
Playing for a team projected to end the season 20-11 with a 34% chance to make the tour.. Currently 8-4 with best win against Miss. St.

Reaction Score
Roscoe averaged 5.2 rebounds at UConn as a freshman. That's better than any of our frontcourt players are averaging this year. He has always been a very good rebounder.

He was good but nothing like what he is now, when I watched the Arizona St and Illinois games he was like Rodman out there, making it a mission to try to collect every rebound.

Reaction Score

Yeah and he shoots the ball like Amida Brimah so good for him……he wanted UNLV he has them. Congrats on his rebounding, we're 10-1 without him!!!

Reaction Score
I haven' t seen UNLV play but my only question would be does their 5 block. Out.
DD is rebounding 2 against 1 most of the time. When Nolan or Brimah learn to keep their man off the boards we will have a better assessment of rebounding comparisons.

Reaction Score
Maybe the point was that he's continuing to rebound at a high level this season. I knew he was rebounding well this year, but didn't realize he's leading the nation with 13.1 RBs/gm, over one rb more than the next guy and almost 2 rbs more than the next high major player, Randle of UK.

Their center is Birch, who is 6th in the nation in blocked shots, so Roscoe is probably is not getting double teamed on the boards, but regardless, 13 boards a game is impressive. If my memory serves me he really picked up his rebounding durning that impressive 11 game run that ended with UConn cutting the nets.

I wish he had stuck it out here, but if he did, it would have impacted DD's development who is a much better offensive player. Roscoe would not be getting the minutes at UConn he's getting at UNLV, but he would have been a huge help on the boards for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven' t seen UNLV play but my only question would be does their 5 block. Out.
DD is rebounding 2 against 1 most of the time. When Nolan or Brimah learn to keep their man off the boards we will have a better assessment of rebounding comparisons.

Khem Birch (Pitt. transfer) is averaging over 9 rpg himself. So they are definitely one of the better rebounding front courts. Roscoe looks stronger these days too.

Reaction Score
Roscoe is a very good player and this team misses him quite a bit. Not only is he rebounding at an exceptional rate, but his offensive game seems to have progressed as well. He's averaging 13 a game on 57% from the floor, and while Giffey and Daniels can mix it up down low from time to time, those guys don't seem to embrace doing the dirty work inside like Roscoe did. He'll get the tough, gritty baskets inside, rebound in traffic, and guard anybody on the floor 3-5. It's too bad he's not here, especially because he's playing virtually the same role over there that he would be here, but we'll just have to make do with what we have.

Reaction Score
It's too bad he's not here, especially because he's playing virtually the same role over there that he would be here, but we'll just have to make do with what we have.

This part is what's frustrating. But hey, things happen for a reason. Maybe Roscoe being here would stunt the growth of some of the young guys, like Brimah. Maybe DeAndre would feel squeezed and wouldn't be progressing. Who knows.

Reaction Score
Would rather talk about Enosch Wolf, he wanted to be here……but hey keep going. Damn if we had Roscoe we may be 11-0 or who knows, 9-2?!?!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom