Rooting for the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rooting for the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The two athletic programs with by far the biggest budgets and national brand recognition are UConn and BYU.

If the Big12 expands and our football team is back to at least Edsall levels, I don't see how we're not the choice.

That is, unless, Cinci continues to win 10 games a year, which brings be back to why i will be rooting against them.

B12 doesn't want to travel to new England. This is a conference composed mostly of school from teeny towns in the middle of nowhere. Travel is already a major headache for them. They are not going to compound it.

pj

Reaction Score
I really do hope the AAC represents well and we dominate the conference the best we can. However, if the past has taught us anything it's that having conference mates get better and giving them the platform to do so only hurts us. Louisville, DePaul, Marquette all in a place we'd rather be and are only there thanks to them coming to the BE in 2003. As others have stated, there are other schools that bring more to the table if they just had stronger football programs. UConn has everything in it's favor right now but there are a lot of things working against it should it be on equal footing athletically as say a UCF, Houston, Cincy. We're not in a fertile recruiting ground, we don't have geography in our favor, and we haven't shown much improvement in terms of a football following. I for one don't wanna see a Houston or UCF get good and leap-frog us in the CR game.

We all wanna think we're a valuable commodity but that's only for the present. I don't wanna sit and watch another school in our conference rise up from C-USA and get a lucrative spot at the big boy table while we are stuck in CR Hell

It depends on what drives realignment. If it's football then yes, we have work to do to raise our football program consistently above that of Houston, USF, UCF, Cincy, and others in our conference. It should be doable, but we're not there yet.

On the other hand if it's markets, it's hard to see any of those schools competing with us. There is a dearth of competing local programs with major college athletics, and we cover or penetrate some of the largest markets in the US. Whereas a school like Houston has Texas, Texas A&M, pro teams, and others within a two hour drive.

So let's work on football, work on AAU status, work on regional standing for the university, keep basketball at a high level. If we progress on those, realignment will work out for us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
B12 doesn't want to travel to new England. This is a conference composed mostly of school from teeny towns in the middle of nowhere. Travel is already a major headache for them. They are not going to compound it.

How is travel already a headache? All the schools are very close regardless of if they are remote locations. If anything, it's the most graphically compact conference.

I'm not saying it's likely, but as far as expansion goes, until we're 100% locked out of every conference, I'm not rooting for our competition.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As a whole the conference needs to hold it's own against the other major conferences for recruiting and perception purposes. We need to (passively) root for our AAC mates any time they go out of conference, excluding the lame ducks L & R. In conference is a different story, it's all UConn all the time unless someone else's vistory creates some breathing room at the top for us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Crosby Stills & Nash sung the same concept "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". Of course, that was the 60's and the person following that advice was probably stoned or on acid and it probably resulted in some nasty STDs. Fortunately, our basketball arena resembles a condom, as a reminder to practice safe fandom.

I prefer this: "If you can't be with the one you love, or your second choice, burn every mother f-er to the ground and make them tremble at the very sound of your name".

Reaction Score
Bunch of insufferable crying misogynistic curmudgeons.

We are a Bigtime Athletic Department. I'm respecting our opponents & I'm expecting them (even Tulane) to grow thrive & compete ... Like UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, USF & Cincy did since 2003. Look who I leave out. We can have great success with a chip on our shoulder. I want Cincy to be a "11/12" win power. Someone else. Force the old farts to keep the door open.

Only a flat Pasqualoni performance/product keeps us from ... In. And I trust Warde Manual & Susan Herbst will enforce progress at Rentschler. And grow fans instead of listening to convention in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
How is travel already a headache? All the schools are very close regardless of if they are remote locations. If anything, it's the most graphically compact conference.

I'm not saying it's likely, but as far as expansion goes, until we're 100% locked out of every conference, I'm not rooting for our competition.

Lubbock, Manhattan, Ames, Stillwater, Morgantown, Waco, Lawrence.

This is not geographically compact.

Lubbock to Ames, 930 miles
Manhattan to Morgantown, 981 miles
Waco to Lawrence, 601 miles

The only decent sized cities are Norman (near Okie City), Dallas and Austin.

5 schools are in that East Texas and Oklahoma area. The other 5 schools are not close to more than 1 school.

7 tiny towns.

The trip to Morgantown alone is a pain for them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lubbock, Manhattan, Ames, Stillwater, Morgantown, Waco, Lawrence.

This is not geographically compact.

Lubbock to Ames, 930 miles
Manhattan to Morgantown, 981 miles
Waco to Lawrence, 601 miles

The only decent sized cities are Norman (near Okie City), Dallas and Austin.

5 schools are in that East Texas and Oklahoma area. The other 5 schools are not close to more than 1 school.

7 tiny towns.

The trip to Morgantown alone is a pain for them.

Compared to the other conferences that have teams from Boston to Miami, New Jersey to Nebraska, Washington to Arizona? Please.

It's a pain in the ass for WVU traveling and it would worse for us, but Big 12 teams making that trip once a year isn't going to be a mitigating factor.

Look, I hate the AAC, and i realize teams can't fall off the face of the earth, but if Cinci starts towin 6,7 games a sseason, I'm not going ti complain.

Reaction Score
Compared to the other conferences that have teams from Boston to Miami, New Jersey to Nebraska, Washington to Arizona? Please.

It's a pain in the ass for WVU traveling and it would worse for us, but Big 12 teams making that trip once a year isn't going to be a mitigating factor.

Look, I hate the AAC, and i realize teams can't fall off the face of the earth, but if Cinci starts towin 6,7 games a sseason, I'm not going ti complain.

UConn is traveling to Houston, Orlando, Dallas, Philly, Memphis, Cincy, Tampa, etc.

Only Greenville is hell.

The difference between a direct flight to a big city and connecting flights to podunk-ville is immense. I can't emphasize this enough.

I'm not looking at this from UConn's perspective but the Big 12's perspective. Why would someone from Manhattan, KS or Stillwater, OK, drive far to the nearest airport, connect who knows where?, land in Bradley, drive an hour to Storrs, for a field hockey game?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's what scares you? Really?
Well it is one of the things that scares me. I'd say that Cinci, USF, UCF to Big 12 is our worst case scenario, except every time I think that something even worse happens.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
UConn is traveling to Houston, Orlando, Dallas, Philly, Memphis, Cincy, Tampa, etc.

Only Greenville is hell.

The difference between a direct flight to a big city and connecting flights to podunk-ville is immense. I can't emphasize this enough.

I'm not looking at this from UConn's perspective but the Big 12's perspective. Why would someone from Manhattan, KS or Stillwater, OK, drive far to the nearest airport, connect who knows where?, land in Bradley, drive an hour to Storrs, for a field hockey game?

Because anywhere is better than Stillwater, OK or Manhattan, KS?

Reaction Score
Well it is one of the things that scares me. I'd say that Cinci, USF, UCF to Big 12 is our worst case scenario, except every time I think that something even worse happens.

Those schools are likely for the B12 because they make sense. But, UConn is not going to be hurt at this point. None of these schools are Syracuse or Pitt or even Rutgers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Those schools are likely for the B12 because they make sense. But, UConn is not going to be hurt at this point. None of these schools are Syracuse or Pitt or even Rutgers.

Draw a line through the UCF, USF and Cinci logos, and imagine who would fill those slots and ask yourself if UConn is hurt being affiliated with that conference. UConn can't afford to be passed over again. At that point the stench of death dripping off of us would be a deterrent to any other conference picking us up.

Reaction Score

Draw a line through the UCF, USF and Cinci logos, and imagine who would fill those slots and ask yourself if UConn is hurt being affiliated with that conference. UConn can't afford to be passed over again. At that point the stench of death dripping off of us would be a deterrent to any other conference picking us up.

Man, UCF and USF don't do much for me. I appreciate Cincy, I do, but they are still practically CUSA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Only Greenville is hell.

FYI, for Manhattan, KS, teams charter staight into the local airport. Making it much closer than Storrs to Bradley, and probably much easier than Newark to Rutgers, or Orlando to UCF.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Regional_Airport

Lawrence is about an hour from the KC airport, not too bad. I've driven it several times. Waco has its own airport. So does Lubbock (hell it's even "international"). Stillwater has only a small jet airport it seems. Ames is only 30 miles from Des Moines, and it's not like there is heavy traffic as in NY or Orlando.

Reaction Score

Exactly this. Adding a USF or a UCF is just back-filling for the Big XII. Do those additions really solidify the conference? Are they going to make any of the important schools want to stick around? I doubt Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas wants the football and basketball conference diluted by adding mediocre outliers. Adding such "scraps" only solidifies the image of the Big 12 as the next to be ripped apart conference (would kind of bring back that old Big East nostalgia feel to things). If the Big 12 wants to expand to 12, then expect BYU to be one of the schools. I can't imagine Big 12 expansion without them. I expect the final slot would come down to UConn and Cincy. Cincinnati has two major advantages: 1) Geography and 2) academics. Not in the sense that Cincy is a better school than UConn, but in the sense that the Big 12 has Texas Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, WVU, and TCU. Adding another lower caliber academic institution is not going to really affect them.

Cincinnati is fortunately situated in a major market, while UConn is not located in the same market size. But this should not matter. The Big 12 is not going to create their own network, so markets should not matter nearly as much. UConn needs to pump up the fact that they offer a marquee basketball game between KU and UConn every year. However, Cincy has been more successful in football on a yearly basis, and that is part of the problem for us.

Address that this way: Yes, Cincy has been to two BCS bowl games, but that was with Brian Kelly, who just took ND to the BCS title game. He is a winner no matter where he plays. However, Cincy is located in Ohio, but has to compete with Ohio State for recruits. They have had success in the last few years, but with Urban Meyer recruiting, they're growth potential is not particularly strong. They have had better access and cognizance to Ohio kids for years, but were unable to dominate the Big East with big brother in Columbus. UConn on the other hand, has been to a BCS bowl game, won two Big East Titles, and has been equal to the others programs in the conference.

This, despite, 1) very poor recruiting territory, 2) competing with Big Ten/ACC programs for high-quality recruits, and 3) only having played at the highest level of college football for 10 years or so. UConn has accomplished all of this with these limitations and in so short of a time. Imagine what UConn can be with a major conference to call home?

Plus, UConn has superior academics, presence in NYC to offer, quality non-revenue sports, and better access to a student pool that is generally outside of the Big 12 footprint. UConn must pump up this critical difference: Yes, in football, the teams may be close to a wash, but UConn has the superior overall qualities (academics, basketball, NYC presence), and it is only another hour in the air to get to Bradley. And from there, 25 minutes to the Rent or the XL.

Reaction Score
they are in Florida... And in the Big12, they could get better very quickly.

So can UConn. I think this is a selling point that is never talked about. Look what UConn has accomplished in so short of a time, and consider that in light of the fact that they consistently have had the lowest recruiting rankings in the conference over that time. UConn has outperformed what they are supposed to be, and imagine what UConn can be when 1) the administration is behind the sport (look how men's basketball turned out), 2) they are replacing the Big East conference stench with a Big 12 conference veneer (and kids actually want to play in the conference), and 3) they add better academics, presence in NYC, a closer partner for WVU, a market that they alone dominate, and successful brand-name basketball, mediocre regional competition, and growth potential that the other schools cannot match. UCF/USF are never going to become the big 3 (they will never win enough recruiting battles with UF/FSU/Miami/UGA/Bama to grow that much), but UConn has the potential with the right circumstances to grow exponentially, considering there is no dominant power in its region, save possibly for Penn State.

Reaction Score

Desperation is a stinky cologne. Remember how the fear of breaking apart made the academic snobs swallow hard and appease FSU/Clemson (schools with no academic cache compared to the schools who supported UConn), and compound that concern with a GOR. If the Big 12 fears that it is going to be ripped apart, they will go for the best options to keep them together. That immediately includes BYU. The final spot goes to UConn or Cincy (at this moment anyway). UConn must pump up that they bring back some academic credibility to the conference (even though there isn't much of that to begin with), that they are a massive growth stock (10 years, horrible recruiting classes: still won two conference titles and reached the BCS, imagine what they can do in a conference kids want to play in), and are only another hour flying from Cincy. Don't let the "oh it'll never happen" line of thought screw us again (Louisville to the ACC; Rutgers to the Big 10).

Reaction Score
Desperation is a stinky cologne. Remember how the fear of breaking apart made the academic snobs swallow hard and appease FSU/Clemson (schools with no academic cache compared to the schools who supported UConn), and compound that concern with a GOR. If the Big 12 fears that it is going to be ripped apart, they will go for the best options to keep them together. That immediately includes BYU. The final spot goes to UConn or Cincy (at this moment anyway). UConn must pump up that they bring back some academic credibility to the conference (even though there isn't much of that to begin with), that they are a massive growth stock (10 years, horrible recruiting classes: still won two conference titles and reached the BCS, imagine what they can do in a conference kids want to play in), and are only another hour flying from Cincy. Don't let the "oh it'll never happen" line of thought screw us again (Louisville to the ACC; Rutgers to the Big 10).

If for some unforeseen reason the B12 needs to expand, they will go for a team that makes more sense. It may be Cincy, it may be UCF. I highly doubt they will travel that far afield. I can't figure out why UConn fans are setting themselves up for this. West Virginia is squealing about travel right now, and they are several hundred miles closer.

Reaction Score
FYI, for Manhattan, KS, teams charter staight into the local airport. Making it much closer than Storrs to Bradley, and probably much easier than Newark to Rutgers, or Orlando to UCF.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Regional_Airport

Lawrence is about an hour from the KC airport, not too bad. I've driven it several times. Waco has its own airport. So does Lubbock (hell it's even "international"). Stillwater has only a small jet airport it seems. Ames is only 30 miles from Des Moines, and it's not like there is heavy traffic as in NY or Orlando.

Charters, eh? That's gotta hurt for field hockey.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

So let me get this straight. UConn needs to AAC to be strong in order to be viable, yet it won't hurt losing the only remaining decent brands left. Got it.

Go Cinci, Go USF, Go UCF! Let's root them all on to a new conference while we back fill with UMass, Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss.

Reaction Score
If for some unforeseen reason the B12 needs to expand, they will go for a team that makes more sense. It may be Cincy, it may be UCF. I highly doubt they will travel that far afield. I can't figure out why UConn fans are setting themselves up for this. West Virginia is squealing about travel right now, and they are several hundred miles closer.

UConn needs to set itself up for any opportunity that comes it's way. We're going to be squealing about travelling to Tulane, Memphis, ECU, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane, and SMU. At least if the opportunity to go the Big 12 came along, we would get 10x the money for it.

The overall point is probably this: UConn has let grass grow, and inferior schools take their place in line. Now, UConn is stuck in the AAC, or going to make sure it is ready to jump at the next best offer. That offer appears to be from the Big 12 if it should happen. Unless the B1G or the ACC look to expand again, that is our only viable option. Making sure that we are in position to out-work Cincinnati for that spot when it comes up is paramount for us. The country looks at Louisville as better than UConn. How is it going to feel when a school like Cincinnati or UCF is "better" too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom