Rooting for the AAC | The Boneyard

Rooting for the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know that there is a lot of pain still leftover from being left at the altar by the ACC, but I don't really thinks it helps our cause as an athletics entity to have a negative attitude towards The American. I think it is very important for us to root for the AAC, including our newly formed conference partners, especially if we end up staying in this conference for the long-term. Even if we end up getting an invite from another conference over the next couple of years, our attitude and relationship with the AAC will be still have meaning and carry over to whatever new conference we may be in next.

Color me silly, but I say GO AAC!

Reaction Score
I know that there is a lot of pain still leftover from being left at the altar by the ACC, but I don't really thinks it helps our cause as an athletics entity to have a negative attitude towards The American. I think it is very important for us to root for the AAC, including our newly formed conference partners, especially if we end up staying in this conference for the long-term. Even if we end up getting an invite from another conference over the next couple of years, our attitude and relationship with the AAC will be still have meaning and carry over to whatever new conference we may be in next.

you said it best, simply silly. this is major college athletics and uconn should be a major player. to root for the aac is like rooting for mike rice when he gets a second chance as a high school coach. i doubt very much there will be any carry over once uconn is invited to the big boy table. but since you seem nice, lets play a game of word association...what name doesnt belong...........tulane, smu, houston, east carolina, south florida or uconn? hard to root for something when its clear you don't belong.

Reaction Score

I agree with what you are saying. We need to be happy where we are. I'm sick of all of the big conferences not letting us in. They can go to hell. We don't need them. If they invite us, we should turn them down. They had their chance. We'll play in the AAC and dominant this one-horse town of a conference. Those big conferences that think they're so cool will rue the day they didn't invite us. I'm talking imminent rueage.

I think you and I are on the same page here. We can be the Texas of this AAC dog-and-pony sideshow. We can get our Huskyhorn Network going. All the other schools in the conference will hate us and be jealous of us. They will always be complaining about how we are taking all the money, etc. We will respond "Hey, you better be careful, you bunch of ingrates, or we'll leave this little dog-and-pony sideshow and go to another conference". They won't have any choice. They will have to tolerate it. If they don't like it, we'll send them back to Conference USA or whatever $ they came from that's probably even worse than the ACC. Central Florida has been getting a little snooty lately. I don't like their attitude. It's like they think they are South Florida or something. We might need to make an example of them and kick them out. They could be the new Temple, the school that everyone always want to kick out.

pj

Reaction Score
you said it best, simply silly. this is major college athletics and uconn should be a major player. to root for the aac is like rooting for mike rice when he gets a second chance as a high school coach. i doubt very much there will be any carry over once uconn is invited to the big boy table. but since you seem nice, lets play a game of word association...what name doesnt belong...........tulane, smu, houston, east carolina, south florida or uconn? hard to root for something when its clear you don't belong.

Loving people love those near them, whoever they are; unloving people are never satisfied. We may be in a kennel with the mangy mongrel pooches, but as long as we're there we can be fond of the mutts, even if we're destined to be a show dog.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We need to be happy where we are.
Personally, I disagree. I HATE where we are, and I hate this damn conference. But to the extent that doing well as a conference against all comers helps UConn... I can get behind that.

If they invite us, we should turn them down.
Now that's just pure unadulterated crazy talk.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I really do hope the AAC represents well and we dominate the conference the best we can. However, if the past has taught us anything it's that having conference mates get better and giving them the platform to do so only hurts us. Louisville, DePaul, Marquette all in a place we'd rather be and are only there thanks to them coming to the BE in 2003. As others have stated, there are other schools that bring more to the table if they just had stronger football programs. UConn has everything in it's favor right now but there are a lot of things working against it should it be on equal footing athletically as say a UCF, Houston, Cincy. We're not in a fertile recruiting ground, we don't have geography in our favor, and we haven't shown much improvement in terms of a football following. I for one don't wanna see a Houston or UCF get good and leap-frog us in the CR game.

We all wanna think we're a valuable commodity but that's only for the present. I don't wanna sit and watch another school in our conference rise up from C-USA and get a lucrative spot at the big boy table while we are stuck in CR Hell

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Pissing all over the BE post-2003 didn't hurt Syracuse fans. I hate to say we're too good for this conference, but there you go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nah, I'll root for the conference against all comers. Well except Louisville, because they're an ACC team in waiting, yeah definitely not Louisville...and Rutgers, since they won't be using the conf logo...so I won't root for Louisville or Rutgers... and Cinci, since I don't want them to get a leg up on us. So I will root for the conference except. Louisville, Rutgers or Cinci...check back there may be more later.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As UConn fans we should be rooting against Cinci, USF, Temple as their success only negative effects UConn's chances should the Big 12 expand.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As UConn fans we should be rooting against Cinci, USF, Temple as their success only negative effects UConn's chances should the Big 12 expand.
Got it, so I will root for the conference except Louisville, Rutgers, Cinci, USF, or Temple...and maybe UCF - you can't be to careful. Oh and probably not Tulane, because they made me walk around for a week mumbling Tulane? WTF, Tulane?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Got it, so I will root for the conference except Louisville, Rutgers, Cinci, USF, or Temple...and maybe UCF - you can't be to careful. Oh and probably not Tulane, because they made me walk around for a week mumbling Tulane? WTF, Tulane?

I'm not rooting for anyone in the AAC. I only listed our main competition in terms of getting out of the AAC, I thought that was fairly obvious, no?

Reaction Score
If conference realignment has taught us anything, we should know that its every man for himself. The other schools in this conference that have the best opportunity to be successful and help this conference make a name for itself are all looking to bail the first chance they get (Cincy, USF, UConn). Everybody else besides Memphis and Temple has a lot of work to do and I dont see them making a difference or making noise in the NCAA tournament anytime soon. UConn needs to worry about themselves because our ticket to another conference will not get punched with the help of anyone else.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
OK, I'm in

Cinn, USF, Temple, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF and UConn

those teams are easy to remember

then we have Tulane and I'm not really sure about anything else

Reaction Score

UConn won't be invited to the big boy table EVER if this conference squanders. Simple as that. UConn depends on the AAC. There it is.

Reaction Score
UConn won't be invited to the big boy table EVER if this conference squanders. Simple as that. UConn depends on the AAC. There it is.

I think realignment will happen regardless if the AAC squanders. It's up to UConn's performance to be invited not the conference's.

Reaction Score

I agree that it's not easy to root for the conference, but I would like to present ourselves as a fan base that is willing to be a team player and take pride in whatever conference we are in. Could you imagine if Warde or President Herbst came out and said "OMFG I can't believe we're still in this hellhole of a conference!" We need to represent ourselves positively as a fan base, and leave all the b*tching and whining to the other schools.

Reaction Score
Also, I was taught as a young person to respect my opponent and practice humility. I'm not so sure we don't "belong" in this league, especially if our team ends up going 4-4 in football conference play. It's also not unreasonable to think that there can be 4+ losses in conference for our men's basketball team with opponents like Cincinnati, Memphis, and Louisville. I have all the pride in the world for UConn, but lets not get balloon headed into thinking that were are going to go undefeated in this "weak sauce" conference.

Reaction Score
I think realignment will happen regardless if the AAC squanders. It's up to UConn's performance to be invited not the conference's.

UConn, and it's ability to recruit, are tied to conference fortunes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn, and it's ability to recruit, are tied to conference fortunes.

Ok, so everybody get out you Cinci pom poms and root for them to keep putting up 10 win seasons so there's absolutely no doubt the big12 expands with them.

Reaction Score
Ok, so everybody get out you Cinci pom poms and root for them to keep putting up 10 win seasons so there's absolutely no doubt the big12 expands with them.

That's what scares you? Really?

Reaction Score
Don't understand the internal conflict... rooting for SMU or Houston is not suggesting that you are happy with Uconn's conference affiliation.
It's in Uconn's best interest for the AAC schools to step up, beat the big boys when given the opportunity, and hopefully get into the national discussion. That's Lousiville this year. Hopefully it's Uconn the following years, but if not, I would certainly hope that's because another AAC school has stepped up.

It is what it is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's what scares you? Really?

Uh, yeah?

BYU and a strong Cinci football program playing some games at the Bengals stadium makes a lot of sense.

BYU and a faltering Cinci program doesn't. Enter UConn.

Reaction Score
Uh, yeah?

BYU and a strong Cinci football program playing some games at the Bengals stadium makes a lot of sense.

BYU and a faltering Cinci program doesn't. Enter UConn.

B12 is NOT coming for UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
B12 is NOT coming for UConn.

The two athletic programs with by far the biggest budgets and national brand recognition are UConn and BYU.

If the Big12 expands and our football team is back to at least Edsall levels, I don't see how we're not the choice.

That is, unless, Cinci continues to win 10 games a year, which brings be back to why i will be rooting against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom