Roof looks good | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roof looks good

Reaction Score
The design of the roof was a terrible idea from the start. I don't know why UConn just didn't bite the bullet and replace the roof with something more traditional. Also Gampel should have 2000-2500 more seats or at least been designed to accommodate expansion like the football stadium. But it is what it is and the new roof looks great.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIRST NIGHT.... PLEASE!!!

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Awesome!

Now lets concentrate on getting rid of those AAC team banners and putting up some better ones.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@Danzz I'd guess because it would have been more expensive to retrofit a new roof design and we don't have the money is probably the biggest reason. Gampel is an attractive and unique facility. It would be a shame to throw that away. I think the new roof plus the updated lights that were put in a year or two ago is going to make it a very good game experience.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@Danzz I'd guess because it would have been more expensive to retrofit a new roof design and we don't have the money is probably the biggest reason. Gampel is an attractive and unique facility. It would be a shame to throw that away. I think the new roof plus the updated lights that were put in a year or two ago is going to make it a very good game experience.

I agree, but I also agree, as someone who was there for opening night vs. St. Johns, that it was a short sighted facility from the get go. Needed to be bigger, and better designed to age without requiring the kind of roof renovation we just completed. Fancy tiles were a dumb idea. At this point it's a nice facility and isn't going anywhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, but I also agree, as someone who was there for opening night vs. St. Johns, that it was a short sighted facility from the get go. Needed to be bigger, and better designed to age without requiring the kind of roof renovation we just completed. Fancy tiles were a dumb idea. At this point it's a nice facility and isn't going anywhere.
Yeah, but remember the capacity is less a design flaw and more a compromise. The Civic Center and and especially the Colosseum were very concerned about having a facility in Storrs that could conceivably compete with them as a concert venue. In order to get the votes for Gampel the capacity was limited.

The roof issue? Meh, life is choices. If you go with a unique innovative design, you gain character but you risk unforeseen issues. The biggest issue at Gampel is the lack of a concourse. I believe the UConn master plan addresses that by, essentially, building one around Gampel. That won't happen while the university and the athletic department are in a fiscal crunch though.

Reaction Score

Yeah the state required that the capacity be significantly lower than the HCC.

People complain about capacity but I think intimate venues with 100% capacity vs bigger venues with empty seats is much more intimidating and it's a better environment.

Fenway>>>>Yankee Stadium

Reaction Score
The roof may look good but getting to Gampel with North Eagleville blocked for construction will make traveling to and from Gampel a challenge this fall.

Reaction Score
We should actually make our voices heard to AD Benny on twitter to bring the bright lights back. Nothing would bring my mood and energy down more than going into a sunday noon game against ECU in the darkened gampel. It just never felt right.

We need the bright lights that make your eyes hurt when walking in on a dark January night! Those are the UConn days I miss!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What's wrong with the floor in Oregon that a map, GPS and night googles won't cure - worst floor in history of college BB.

Night vision googles might blind you for life no joke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom