Roof looks good | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roof looks good

Reaction Score
is there going to be anything new with regards to intros, student chants/signs,distractions, music, etc? I feel like we need to switch it up.
Retro Cheerleaders:

images

Reaction Score
Yeah, but remember the capacity is less a design flaw and more a compromise. The Civic Center and and especially the Colosseum were very concerned about having a facility in Storrs that could conceivably compete with them as a concert venue. In order to get the votes for Gampel the capacity was limited.

In addition to what you mentioned CL82, the entire fundraising effort for Gampel was a huge challenge at the time. UConn basketball had not even begun it's ascension to the level of prominence it enjoys today. Understandably, people weren't so anxious to pony up hundreds, god forbid thousands of dollars each to get this done. I believe the total cost was around $28M and the state was kicking in $22M, so even at 6M, it was still difficult and challenging to raise the private funds ...took quite a while. There were some who thought we'd never reach the target. Point being...it wasn't easy to get this done with the program's standing at that time. We really hadn't done much at all yet and hadn't even cracked the top 20 for a long long time.

The original building had only 8,241 seats. It wasn't until after the program really began to take off, which coincided with the opening of Gampel, that everyone wanted to go and the decision was made to use the expansion room in the corners to add another ~ 1,800 seats, to bring it over 10,000. So they did build in for some expansion, but with the stipulation the state put on the overall size, it was never thought of as being a 15-20K facility. The state didn't want to compete with itself... :confused: In hindsight, it would have been nice to be at those levels, but it never would have been built at that time if those were the parameters. Amazing how far things have come in that time!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That's a good looking court. Fresh. Not a huge fan of the upside down names on the sideline, but that's only a small quibble.

Its, literally, the EXACT SAME COURT as last year. They put a fresh coat of poly on it.

Reaction Score
But they are right-side up looking from the other side!

But I think still a valid point. If the words are facing the right way, the logo is upside down. I guess they wanted everyone to have something that looked right from their perspective?

Reaction Score
So, stay with the darkened Gampel which helped obscure the failing tiling or go back to the bright lites Gampel?
I'm a traditionalist which means that you turn down the house lights when the game is about to begin. This is the way it was in all the old arenas including the Field House.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom