Ron Johnson to where? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ron Johnson to where?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
1. We have no idea if Ron even wanted to leave or was told there's no room for him. So he gets the benefit of any doubt. Well my post was assuming it was his choice. So if he was forced out, then of course what I said is wrong.
2. College athletes don't think this way. Otherwise nobody would ever transfer, because the majority of transfers are guys sitting at "big name U" who go elsewhere to play more. They should be thinking about their education.
3. We have no idea where he's going so why assume anything. What if it's William and Mary...a better school than UConn by most accounts. What then? Maybe it's Harvard?
You missed the part where I talked about a better university.
This is why the right approach is always, "thank you for being a Husky and giving your all and we wish you the best". There's no need to second guess the decisions.
Of course everyone is thanking him for what he did, but from an outsiders point of view, it looks questionable.

Reaction Score
Hahaha. I enjoyed the facetiousness this post was dripping with.

It was supposed to be facetious, right? Right?

I now kinda hope he somehow shows up on an Ivy League roster; preferably HYP.

Reaction Score
I always chuckle at the overvalue placed on where you get your degree from. This isn't Harvard, or Emory, or Stanford, or Rice, or MIT.

UConn is a fine school. It's not a difference maker in anyone's long term career. What you do after your undergrad, once you get your foot in the door, how you leverage your network, and whether or not you obtain a secondary degree and/or certifications/licenses is much more important than the name on your diploma. The difference in your career 5, 10, 20 years after graduation is going to be based on what happened in those 5, 10, 20 years. Not whether or not you graduated from UConn instead of URI.

Public Ivy? LOL. If he wants to be a teacher (IIRC) CCSU is one of the best schools in the area to attend. If that's even where he ends up. We don't know what he wants out of life.

Add the amount of pompousness needed to pretend to know what is best for a complete stranger, while speaking down to him, as if he hasn't thought this decision through; and I can only conclude that those types of posts are about as douchey as they get.

He's already ahead of the large majority of his fellow graduates next year based on the fact he shouldn't have any college debt. Let the young man live his life, nobody here knows what his priorities are or what's best for him.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I always chuckle at the overvalue placed on where you get your degree from. This isn't Harvard, or Emory, or Stanford, or Rice, or MIT.

UConn is a fine school. It's not a difference maker in anyone's long term career. What you do after your undergrad, once you get your foot in the door, how you leverage your network, and whether or not you obtain a secondary degree and/or certifications/licenses is much more important than the name on your diploma. The difference in your career 5, 10, 20 years after graduation is going to be based on what happened in those 5, 10, 20 years. Not whether or not you graduated from UConn instead of URI.

Public Ivy? LOL. If he wants to be a teacher (IIRC) CCSU is one of the best schools in the area to attend. If that's even where he ends up. We don't know what he wants out of life.

Add the amount of pompousness needed to pretend to know what is best for a complete stranger, while speaking down to him, as if he hasn't thought this decision through; and I can only conclude that those types of posts are about as douchey as they get.

He's already ahead of the large majority of his fellow graduates next year based on the fact he shouldn't have any college debt. Let the young man live his life, nobody here knows what his priorities are or what's best for him.

Exactly. 100%. I graduated from UConn, and it's a good school, but nowhere near good enough to be the kind of place that grants you a good job right out of school. I think we like to overvalue UConn because many of us went there, and by overvaluing it we are able to see ourselves as smarter than we are :p

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

You are so right on so many points. My years among the elites at Fairfield U and BC taught me one thing: a lot of DBs go to Fairfield U and BC. People at both places thought Fairfield U and BC would open doors for them. Laughable. UCONN enabled me to pay my way through undergrad and get the grades and experience I needed to pursue grad programs at the aforementioned Jesuit schools for free. 3 degrees, no doors opened, but no debt. And now I have a job I love.

Reaction Score
UConn isn't a good enough school to guarantee anyone a good job, or to even give one a great likelihood of landing a good job, especially when being an FBS football player doesn't lend itself to studying in more rigorous degree programs. Figure Ron Jon transfers to a place like URI or Maine--sure, UConn is a better school statistically, but do you think the difference is great enough to change his life that much? UConn isn't Oxford, and I think sometimes we overstimate the value of a UConn degree (I say that as someone with a UConn degree)

As with all schools, major and GPA matter a LOT. That's a gross overgeneraliztion.

I don't know what RJ is studying or what his grades are so I won't comment.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Exactly. 100%. I graduated from UConn, and it's a good school, but nowhere near good enough to be the kind of place that grants you a good job right out of school. I think we like to overvalue UConn because many of us went there, and by overvaluing it we are able to see ourselves as smarter than we are :p

It's much better than the academical than say, Louisville. Just pointing out a fact

Good luck to Ron wherever he ends up

Reaction Score
Was that guys post really wrong though? Unless he's transferring to a more prestigious university, why not finish your degree at a great school like UConn? Best of luck either way, but it doesn't make sense to me either...

This is how I felt about Boyle

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom