Rodney Purvis | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis

Reaction Score
I don't get how so many of you "fans" can bash Rodney. Yeah he can be frustrating to watch at times, like any player can in the country. Rodney has done everything hes been asked to do. He has been here the last 4 years and I have NEVER heard a single bad word about him. Some of you guys really need to look at your life if your gonna bash a kid who never causes trouble. Never been arrested, suspended none of that. He plays with 110% hustle. Never see him take plays off. He has never been a great outside shooter. So people who wanted him to come in and be the savior of this program were dead wrong. Its a tough season but these players are playing there asses off. And Rodney for the last 4 years here has been playing his ass off. If you can bash a college kid like some of you do shame on you. Hes not getting paid a penny and has done more good for our university then 99% of you guys will EVER do. I'm a diehard Husky fan till I die and ill never throw shots at our players. Rant over.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't get how so many of you "fans" can bash Rodney. Yeah he can be frustrating to watch at times, like any player can in the country. Rodney has done everything hes been asked to do. He has been here the last 4 years and I have NEVER heard a single bad word about him. Some of you guys really need to look at your life if your gonna bash a kid who never causes trouble. Never been arrested, suspended none of that. He plays with 110% hustle. Never see him take plays off. He has never been a great outside shooter. So people who wanted him to come in and be the savior of this program were dead wrong. Its a tough season but these players are playing there asses off. And Rodney for the last 4 years here has been playing his ass off. If you can bash a college kid like some of you do shame on you. Hes not getting paid a penny and has done more good for our university then 99% of you guys will EVER do. I'm a diehard Husky fan till I die and ill never throw shots at our players. Rant over.

There are so many reasons people here bash Rodney. Their expectations were through the roof when Ollie called him a Ferrari. They've seen him take a game over and score 20+ points. They don't really value defensive play or understand its importance on a basketball team.

But mostly, just because they are spoiled brats who have never faced adversity and think that by birthright, they are due something by being a UCONN fan. They think that national titles grow on trees and that freshmen should play like seniors. And that's why I have read negative comments about every player on the team this year. Literally every player, even including Durham. Welcome to the Boneyard... :confused:

Reaction Score
I love Rodney as a person and what he brings in terms of effort. I'm not sure it's bashing to point out a bad performance however.
When he plays real well, we have a chance to beat anyone, when he plays poorly we usually lose. I agree that there is too much negativity at times on the BY, but sometimes bad performances are bad performances.

Reaction Score
Purvis is what he is, he's been solid as a Husky. We have to remember this guy is playing just about 40 mins a game at all different positions and some of the time out of position like last game which he played a lot of point guard.

Works his tail off and is a competitor who is an excellent defender and streaky shooter.

He's not the reason why this is down year, it's obvious because of all the injuries.

Get off his back.

Reaction Score
I love Rodney as a person and what he brings in terms of effort. I'm not sure it's bashing to point out a bad performance however.
When he plays real well, we have a chance to beat anyone, when he plays poorly we usually lose. I agree that there is too much negativity at times on the BY, but sometimes bad performances are bad performances.

Reaction Score
Purvis is what he is, he's been solid as a Husky. We have to remember this guy is playing just about 40 mins a game at all different positions and some of the time out of position like last game which he played a lot of point guard.

Works his tail off and is a competitor who is an excellent defender and streaky shooter.

He's not the reason why this is down year, it's obvious because of all the injuries.

Get off his back.
Just really disagree with this. Rodney certainly carries us at times with his shooting, but the last thing I would call him is solid. I don't think any of our seniors are solid players, and that combined with no junior class is a much bigger problem than the injuries.

Reaction Score
I think the Ferrari tag really hurt his perception by fans. On a championship caliber team he would be a solid backup 2 guard. He's trying to put a team on his back with UCONN and he ends up forcing a lot. We all know his strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I think the Ferrari tag really hurt his perception by fans. On a championship caliber team he would be a solid backup 2 guard. He's trying to put a team on his back with UCONN and he ends up forcing a lot. We all know his strengths and weaknesses.

Problem is that he was an McDonald's All American.

Reaction Score
All of the above plus the issue of him still making the same mistakes he's made for three years. The stepping out of bounds, odd shot selection, blown layups, etc. It's frustrating. He is obviously a great kid but when you are lauded as much as he was, it's tough to watch the same inconsistencies every single game.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. He's a streaky shooter and player and often plays out of control and undisciplined.

If he get hot in the AAC tourney anything is possible, none of these teams are any good.

Reaction Score
If you are a lifelong basketball fan, or former player, or coach etc...Rodney is never going to be a favorite player of yours. He is unnatural as a basketball player, frustrating, unable to think the game very well, and seems to be one of those kids who had a man's body in high school which is what made him a top recruit. Basically, his game is ugly.

However, I do agree that he plays hard, he cares, and represents the program well. If he was never a top recruit or was never described as a ferrari, most of the fans would probably think differently of Rodney. He would be viewed as a raw, hard working, blue collar player without much skill.

Reaction Score
He didn't live up to expectations as a basketball player, this is why he is critized. Nobody thinks he's a bad kid. We have all given him praise for the way he represents the university. Get off your moral high horse.

Yes. The guy is just flat out inconsistent.

At Gampel games I have heard grown men scream obscenities directly at Purvis DURING the game, even while were still in the game. Things like screaming for him to graduate already, he sucks, etc. Sh1+ like that is inexcusable and TRUE bashing. True fans like myself and many on this forum obviously would never do that before and/or during the game...but afterwards some healthy venting and deserved criticism is absolutely fine and appropriate.

Somebody already said it I believe, but he was a Mcdonald's All American out of high school. Now is a fifth year senior and is playing as inconsistently as a freshman would.

I was at the SMU game 5 rows off of center court and have been to several other games this season. When Rodney isn't hitting jump shots it just looks like it's getting to his head....and then the bonehead mistakes come into play as a consequence; (example being just when the momentum finally seemed to be in our favor during the SMU comeback he makes a bonehead transition turnover that turns into an and-1 on the other end.) Again, just watching him it seems his missed shots and mistakes compound and he just can't shake it off and move on to the next play. Aside from that in my opinion the guy only plays at one speed, being a million miles a minute.

I'll give credit where credit is due he has drastically improved his FT shooting.

However, just because I player has moral integrity and good character does not mean we can't criticize their play on the court once the game is over. This same criticism can be aimed at Amida. Great person....unbelievably & frustratingly inconsistent player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Another point to be made, anything extremely offputting said about a player after an off game or a loss should be thrown out as frustration and being reactionary.

Compare it to getting in a fight with friends or family. During a heated extange you've said things you didn't mean and certainty regret. Most of the time it's just a heat of the moment thing. I never come on this board 1-2 days after a loss and see a new thread bashing a player for any reason. We're fans who get upset when our team loses and sometimes say regretful things, we move on and support the team during their next challenge the same way we always have.

You're not a better fan because you'd never utter a critical thought about anyone involved with the team. Only the people making personal attacks deserve what's coming to someone, and those people should probably just be ignored to begin with.

Rant over.

Reaction Score
Some of you need to get off of your high horses. You guys are like the liberals that want everyone to act a certain way that doesnt offend anyone.

Its a sports team, albeit college sports. People are allowed to criticize or express their displeasure. Obviously over a certain point and/or if it gets personal/unreasonable then its not appropriate. You dont go to a major college basketball program if you dont want to get criticized.

You pay a price. It is one of the costs of getting massive benefits such as scholarships/chicks everynight/being on tv/panache/money/free stuff etc. God these guys are treated like kings and many of them will get job opportunities that most people can only dream of. Obviously Purvis' career wont be in the NBA but he will be making millions of dollars playing overseas sleeping around with models/hot chicks. He will have a life that many will never comprehend. Here some of you guys are whining and trying to defend him saying people have no right to criticize anyone.

, call me everyname in the book you want. Ill gladly take the abuse for the ability to make millions of dollars playing a sport!

Reaction Score
He didn't live up to expectations as a basketball player, this is why he is critized. Nobody thinks he's a bad kid. We have all given him praise for the way he represents the university. Get off your moral high horse.
I don't really care that he didn't live up to expectations. Not everyone will live up to (or exceed) their high school rankings. It'd be one thing if there were rumors of a poor work ethic, but we know that's not the case with Rodney.

What does bother me, though, is that he's making the same mistakes now that he made as a sophomore (and presumably a freshman), particularly from a decision-making standpoint. And it bothers me more than he's never gotten pulled for these mistakes in 3 years here. He's always been given a much longer leash, and I don't think that served him well.

Reaction Score
I like Purvis as a person and ambassador of the UConn brand but feel we will be better when he is gone. Bottom line is he when he is not hitting his three, most times he's not this year, he is a liability on offense and a turnover waiting to happen when he drives. Feel like Vital is just as good as Purvis right now and hes just a freshman. Someone tell me what Purvis does that Vital can't do?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Another point to be made, anything extremely offputting said about a player after an off game or a loss should be thrown out as frustration and being reactionary.

Compare it to getting in a fight with friends or family. During a heated extange you've said things you didn't mean and certainty regret. Most of the time it's just a heat of the moment thing. I never come on this board 1-2 days after a loss and see a new thread bashing a player for any reason. We're fans who get upset when our team loses and sometimes say regretful things, we move on and support the team during their next challenge the same way we always have.

You're not a better fan because you'd never utter a critical thought about anyone involved with the team. Only the people making personal attacks deserve what's coming to someone, and those people should probably just be ignored to begin with.

Rant over.
The op is not talking about people critiquing Rodney's play. He's talking about people who go out of their way to bash the kid.

It was a general statement without calling anyone specifically out. We all know there are people in this forum who make personal attacks. You even state this in your second post. The only difference I see between the two of you is that you recommend we ignore those posters. He felt the need to say something about them.

But even if there were a bigger difference between the two of you why is it out of bounds (deliberate choice of phraseology) for a poster to criticize other posters who demonstrate a perceived lack of control particularly when that poster does this to players?

You are correct that in the heat of the moment we tend to do and say things we don't ordinarily do in situations where we're not charged. Even though it happens to most of us I'm sure you are not defending this behavior. There may be situations it is justifiable but at the very least it causes problems that may never have arisen if we kept our cool. So most of us probably should work on keeping control during these charged moments. With that said it's human to be less than stellar all the time. So if we're seeking understanding and compassion for ourselves when we act poorly shouldn't we be the very people who defend players (and even posters) when people feel the need to deride them?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I said it before and I'll say it again: In a perfect world he'd have been this generation's Rashad, a guy who can come in as a 6th man and just rain down fire on looks that other people get him.

Regardless, I hope he has one more great March in him.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
every player who accepts a D-1 scholarship to a highly competitive program is going to take some flak, it's just a fact of life

it's not meant to be easy

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Some of you need to get off of your high horses. You guys are like the liberals that want everyone to act a certain way that doesnt offend anyone.
Its a sports team, albeit college sports. People are allowed to criticize or express their displeasure. Obviously over a certain point and/or if it gets personal/unreasonable then its not appropriate. You dont go to a major college basketball program if you dont want to get criticized.
Here some of you guys are whining and trying to defend him saying people have no right to criticize anyone.
, call me everyname in the book you want. Ill gladly take the abuse for the ability to make millions of dollars playing a sport!
And you need to get off your high horse. You are doing what you accuse others of doing. You are insisting people behave in a way that suits you. The difference is you are so caught up in your own cliche you really believe you are taking the moral high road by taking the moral low road.

With that said who is implying anything other than the part of your post I put in bold. As far as college players go it probably is important to be prepared for people who lack control. But the same can be said for any of us including you and me.

I'm calling it like I see it. It isn't any different than what you are doing no matter how you want to label it or differentiate it. You have no more right to change me or others who think like me than I have in changing you and others who think like you. The aggravation you express towards some imagined attitude is nothing more than a brat having a tantrum . You're a spoiled snowflake that is duped by it's own self reinforcing group of bootlickers. You're a sycophant and a toady. You love bullies because you are a woos who acts like he's tougher than everyone else but deep inside is afraid.

Did I accommodate your request troll!:cool:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
every player who accepts a D-1 scholarship to a highly competitive program is going to take some flak, it's just a fact of life

it's not meant to be easy
So true.
Everyone entering the men's forum in the Boneyard should expect the same don'tyathink!!
This place is not for the weak of heart.

Reaction Score
I guess reading comprehension escapes you. Look above, you have posters calling people "spoiled brats who have never faced adversity" and yet I am taking the moral low ground?!

Your argument is flawed and is circular and doesn't deserve a response. I stopped reading after spoiled snowflake because you obviously have some latent anger/insecurity issues and I would be wasting time to read further/respond.

Have a great day!

Reaction Score
I guess reading comprehension escapes you. Look above, you have posters calling people "spoiled brats who have never faced adversity" and yet I am taking the moral low ground?!

Your argument is flawed and is circular and doesn't deserve a response. I stopped reading after spoiled snowflake because you obviously have some latent anger/insecurity issues and I would be wasting time to read further/respond.

Have a great day!

Loved the way you stuck to your guns and didn't respond. Particularly the part of your response where you said you weren't going to respond. Post more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom