Rodney Purvis on campus | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis on campus

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I said I was dramatizing for effect, but your commitment to your "black" vote for with respect to all things Kevin Ollie is noted.

I'll just note that it pairs nicely with your more recent--and frequently contradictory and out-of-touch--criticisms of Hurley's ability to recruit, develop and maintain a roster, for which many of the same posters with whom you are now aligned called you out as insane.

As for Rodney, I liked him as a player and a person, but like many, I felt that he didn't live up to the advance billing, which admittedly set an unreasonably high bar. I was happy to see that he was back on campus, and even more happy to see his praise for Hawkins.

I didn't like seeing the dirty laundry aired, and I'm going to stop giving it more air now.

Thinking Kevin Ollie was an is not contradictory. It’s what he was - and it’s not recent. And you can go back to 2012 and see where I was not sold on hiring him and 2014 to see me concerned about him.

Eventually, a pair of stories will come out and the veneer will be stripped entirely. I hope he goes away forever and never comes back.

As for Rodney…honestly, who really showed much improvement under Kevin Ollie?

Reaction Score
For what? He was the canary in the coal mine.
Who proceeded to choose one bad coal mine after another when he left.

Look, not a single person saying Ollie had a big part in the NC is defending Ollie for what came afterward.

If someone wants to step up here and tell me Glen Miller developed Giffey, Napier, Boatright and Daniels, that's perfectly fine. All we're saying is that the coaches of that '14 team did a helluva job, especially since those players became the greats they became post-Calhoun.

I accept what Purvis is saying at face value. That's a very different thing than Vance Jackson who hasn't managed to improve under several other coaches elsewhere. It's night and day.

Are we acting like Vance is the first disgruntled player to leave and fizzle out?

I mean, we've even had disgruntled people like Oriakhi leave here, or one of the best examples is Gavin Edwards. A guy who was disgruntled and yet developed into a solid player here, after not having ANYONE else knock on his door coming out of high school.

I just think you take it with a grain of salt from some kids, while other kids--like Purvis--have more credibility.

Reaction Score
Imagine being stupid enough to wonder why a former player, any former player, would be welcomed back on campus. The dangers of reading the board when not signed in… it is not for the faint of heart. That ignore list is out here saving souls and sanity.

Reaction Score
Thinking Kevin Ollie was an is not contradictory. It’s what he was - and it’s not recent. And you can go back to 2012 and see where I was not sold on hiring him and 2014 to see me concerned about him.

Eventually, a pair of stories will come out and the veneer will be stripped entirely. I hope he goes away forever and never comes back.

As for Rodney…honestly, who really showed much improvement under Kevin Ollie?
Yeah, well, I do remember the February 2014 posts about him, and I can't say I expected a national championship, but I was a defender at the same point in time because I thought the team was gelling.

That being said, the 2014 was one of the biggest outliers in NCAA history. Look at that team and compare it to all the other champions in terms of talent. It's a struggle to find other championship teams without NBA players, and that UConn team had only one.

It's crazy that they won it. Credit the kids, but credit the coaches too because when a team lacking talent wins it all, it's a beautiful thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah, well, I do remember the February 2014 posts about him, and I can't say I expected a national championship, but I was a defender at the same point in time because I thought the team was gelling.

That being said, the 2014 was one of the biggest outliers in NCAA history. Look at that team and compare it to all the other champions in terms of talent. It's a struggle to find other championship teams without NBA players, and that UConn team had only one.

It's crazy that they won it. Credit the kids, but credit the coaches too because when a team lacking talent wins it all, it's a beautiful thing.
A team lacking talent? Shabazz was the best point guard in the country and the best player in the country by tournament time. He shared the backcourt with a guy who was one of the best guards in the country forming the best backcourt in the country. DeAndre Daniels gave them that third scorer by tournament time who could easily drop 20 points. Giffey was one of the most accurate three point shooters in the country that season (most accurate three point shooter ever at UConn in a season) was versatile in who he could guard and did all the dirty work. I'll say the team wasn't deep with talent but they actually underachieved a bit throughout the season. That team had a lot of talent in that starting 5 and caught lightning in a bottle at the right time.

Everyone involved deserves a ton of credit for that 6 game run but saying they lacked talent isn't accurate and is selling them short.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Eventually, a pair of stories will come out and the veneer will be stripped entirely.'
ooh, salicious inna-u-end-o. can't wait. hopefully, it will have hookers, and blow. or not dropping a fiver in the salvation army bucket at holiday time.
shore do like me a story aboot one of my fellow monkeys replete with hookers and blow. mebbe meth? that's good also. does he wear a dress in this tale, too? what's wrong with that? i mean, somebody has to keep this economy moving, and those folks partial to the chiffon do a right fine job.
i hear this all the time from mg, 'what are u mad aboot, im just doing my job to keep things moving. if we had to depend on you, we'd all starve.'
yep, gonna try to get me a new crack pipe on my way down to the docks. is the crack pipe store open on sundays? helping the economy, an all that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Eventually, a pair of stories will come out and the veneer will be stripped entirely.
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Reaction Score
A team lacking talent? Shabazz was the best point guard in the country and the best player in the country by tournament time. He shared the backcourt with a guy who was one of the best guards in the country forming the best backcourt in the country. DeAndre Daniels gave them that third scorer by tournament time who could easily drop 20 points. Giffey was one of the most accurate three point shooters in the country that season (most accurate three point shooter ever at UConn in a season) was versatile in who he could guard and did all the dirty work. I'll say the team wasn't deep with talent but they actually underachieved a bit throughout the season. That team had a lot of talent in that starting 5 and caught lightning in a bottle at the right time.

Everyone involved deserves a ton of credit for that 6 game run but saying they lacked talent isn't accurate and is selling them short.
DeAndre Daniels doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Shabazz, Boatright, Deandre and Niels?
OK, that's it. I've been biting my tongue since you first mentioned those 4, but now we're a half dozen more pages into the thread, and poster after poster continues to virtually ignore Lasan Kromah.

Sure, Olander has twice as many rings as Boeheim. And we all remember KO himself calling Terrence Samuel "a difference maker." Brimah's 3-point play made Martelli's grandson cry. And nobody photo bombed like Phil, whose late game breakaway crushed Calipari's spirit so hard that he was forced to concede free throws that were destined to be made, but never taken.

Lasan came in heralded by a persistent & insistent GW partisan who predicted he be the team's most talented player, maybe a 16 & 6 guy. Instead, he was either surrounded by superior talent or sublimated his ego; limited his stat-sheet stuffing to numbers less than half the boldest predictions; and, like Reggie Jackson, revealed himself to be "the straw that stirred the drink." Two years later, Karl Hobbs parlayed his Kromah connection into a P5 Associate Head Coaching gig.

This was a nice little thread, benignly-Titled, that was solid feel-good up until Chief & I weighed in while most slept, and then Rodney either stayed up very late or awakened very early the next morning and took things in an "if I'm being honest" direction that has taken on a life of its own.

Who saw that coming?

I hope Rodney's early-expressed interest in being on Jared's podcast holds up, though things have certainly opened up since its original mention.

7 pages later, here's where I'm at...

I'm a little afraid that this is the first post of yours that I have been able to comprehend, and I actually had the same thought.

As I said upthread, perception is reality.

And most of the same posters who now proclaim Ollie as the devil will be vilifying the players and not the coach in that instance.

And, they WILL be right in both cases. AND not.
FIFY

This topic is permanent Rashomon. Nuance may apply, but it's not accepted.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
When Ollie was first hired, he exuded such a passion - for the game, his school & his players. Winning on the battleship against MSU was huge in a probation year & then the next year, going to battle & damn-near playing defense on the sideline every game was epic. He showed what I believe Calhoun saw in him & why his players played hard for him - passion, knowledge & work ethic. His NBA teammates & collegues saw the same thing, that’s why they boasted him in such high regard.

Post championship, I believe he let the success get to his head & it bled into his personal/professional life. The passion & work ethic were diminished. I don’t recall seeing him coach much from the sideline, I don’t recall charismatic interviews, or memorizable performances. Simply bold statements, that he rarely, if ever, followed through on. It’s a shame, because he’s a Husky & his potential was through the roof. That said, as disappointing as all this is, he’s still a Husky & I’ll always wish him the best. It ended ugly for both sides, but KO got his money. We’ll recover & I hope that time heals all wounds for everyone - Purvis, Wilson, Calhoun, included.

Reaction Score
'their gripe is a little more reasonable'
it is?
some of ko's guys get to say 'we were the best in the nation, and got the hardware to prove it. kiss my grits.'
what's danny's guys get to say, so far, 'danny's wife makes good cookies? i like the smell of sage burning in the morning?, im gonna be on the wall?'
yeah, umm no.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. it makes for great memories.
welcome to the jungle. i like saying 'kiss my grits.'
the time for relativism is au revoir, over. take a walk around outside, and folks will tell you that storytime is also, au revoir, over.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. if im spending my time cheering, i expect results. championship results. in my day job, iffn you come at me with continual bs and excuses, i will drop you faster than a one eyed cat's head spins in a fish market.
Yes he brought us a championship but he also brought us years of misery

Reaction Score
Just caught up with this thread.

I was talking with a buddy about this and we both agree that while major credit is given to him winning a title (the argument that anyone could have lead that team to a championship is pure bunk), the second half of his tenure was not good.

A specific memory is the overall body language of the bench. College basketball teams are known for being super fiery and amped up, but I recall multiple games where that fire wasn’t there, almost a sense of complacency.

That’s rare for any basketball team and might have been a sign of how Ollie led…we don’t know, but I do know that I’m so glad we’re back to playing basketball where everyone on the floor and the bench have passion regardless who we play.

Reaction Score

Compared to the vast majority of other champions from the past.

No one said they weren't good players.

Now go back and find me champs without 2 NBA players

Reaction Score
Most of us kind of knew that and said as much, even THAT year.
That Bazz was the coach might be the most ignorant BY meme ever. That is was Calhoun players is also ignorant but not as absurd.
The reality is Bazz was so in tuned with his coach after 4 years together he was able to execute what the coach was trying to do perfectly. But that team was special.
Bazz could sit and the team didn’t miss a Beat. The lesser talented guys who stepped up on that team in Key situations are really unprecedented.
What the BY doesn’t understand is Bazz was in total awe of KO , why not
He not only was the starting PG on some iconic UConn teams . managed to stick in his dream NBA for many years with limited talent , hard work and a high BB IQ .Beyond that that the kids that stayed loved him , he was like a father to Bazz and saw in RB a potential for defense from the start, possibly without his getting the job they might have left. The only exception possibly was Giffey whose 2pts a game average for two years spelled lower mid major.
KO ‘s story is an old one , a guy who spent his life in the background finds incredible celebrity, The ESPN guys had him getting away from mid major UConn almost nightly Unfortunately he believed the hype ,and mailed it in , forgetting the real reasons he got as far as he did..Having.never achieved celebrity it’s impossible for me to judge , but the results were personally disastrous for him .
He managed to destroy a promising career , relationships and a marriage in the process. I’m sure the UConn job was the pinnacle of his objectives and his marriage seemed sound . His story is the stuff off tragedy. Hopefully he returns to his core values gets away from the sharks and gets a guard coaching job somewhere teaching kids how to run an offense. That’s his core competence
I loved Purvis but a lot of his grip is he wasn’t allowed to play PG which.given his other attributes “IF” he succeeded would have made sticking in the NBA.easier . He certainly is entitled to an opinion. He had to play a wing a lot because of circumstances.and maybe if he played 3 years as a combo getting drafted might have been a possibility. Maybe .
Frankly he had chances because we were so short handed those years and JA was forced to be on the ball. the whole game . Possibly he progressed since UConn but anyone who believes he should have been our PG should take up another sport. My recollections are when he was forced into the role we all shuddered.
2014-15 we had RB
2015-16 we had Gibbs Purvis , Adams
That was his opportunity to show he was a lead guard . Gibbs was a great 2 and Adams was a Freshman. We had a good 3 and 4 .
but Gibbs and eventually Adams beat him out
2016-17 we had *Gilbert , Adams , Vital Purvis . In a 6 -7 man rotation . he was the backup PG by default
Frankly the guy that got screwed over was Adams
Rodney did make the all rookie G league team
He got multiple 10 day looks and was signed for the duration of the year but was traded twice before being cut by the Celtics. Some guys don’t get that chance
6’3 guys have to be special it’s a cruel occupation.
With a guard coach as good as vintage Ollie and 4 years maybe he makes him into a NBA PG . However a teams Is not a personal clinic and there are other guys with similar aspirations and the objective is build a team.
In a debate you can make a much better case factually that Ollie did more to save the program than hurt it but this is the BY
where opinion trumps reality. That UConn was a JC anomaly was destroyed by KO.
That’s huge for a program.
*3 games

Reaction Score
My personal opinion is that Ollie was the perfect man for the job when Calhoun stepped down. He deserves the credit for 2014. I don’t think Calhoun wins the title with that team and he is the GOAT. Calhoun still had a huge influence over the program in 2013 and 2014 in regards to player development, but I think it’s pretty clear when Ollie’s personal life fell apart, his relationship with Calhoun was fractured (Calhoun’s own words) and that was the beginning of the downfall. He was a bad coach who was propped up by having the best player in the country and the GOAT coach in the office right down the hall. Once those two things were gone, he was toast. Had he just maintained his relationship with Calhoun and kept learning from the best resource in the sport, he likely has continued success here.

Reaction Score
Then you really should open your eyes and read this board more. Every few months someone suggests Shabazz retire and coach here. When Taliek left he was suggested multiple times. And I'll give you it's impossible to read all the threads, but it was even suggested in this thread you presumably read before replying
I read the board almost every day. So KO is the reason Purvis did not develop? Apparently he has continued to not develop. Posters suggesting Bazz coach here is not a rousing endorsement. I mostly do not participate because so many take the low road, because one person claims to have seen someone do something at a local bar and everyone piles on like they were there and the thread loses credibility.

Reaction Score
I read the board almost every day. So KO is the reason Purvis did not develop? Apparently he has continued to not develop. Posters suggesting Bazz coach here is not a rousing endorsement. I mostly do not participate because so many take the low road, because one person claims to have seen someone do something at a local bar and everyone piles on like they were there and the thread loses credibility.
But he did develop after he left UConn, and even played in some NBA games.

I really don’t understand the Ollie defenders on this board.

Reaction Score
That Bazz was the coach might be the most ignorant BY meme ever. That is was Calhoun players is also ignorant but not as absurd.

Hey Einstein, that was per Purvis. Wow. The man lived through it, not you, nor anyone on the Yard. Purvis deserves his time to speak. He worked his butt off. S t fork up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom