Rocket Watts? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
AG? Who cares about that he hasn't played for us in a long time do I need to fill you in?

Read my post before you get all whackey. I know his numbers but look at his form. Do you think he has a better chance of improving or Andre jackson. Get back to me on that one ok? I'm thinking he has a chance to, that's all i said but his game overall could be better than Gaff or Cole on ability alone. Doesn't mean it will be but change of scenery cold be just what the doctor ordered.
i would reasonably expect mr watts, on a practical level, to improve more than ajax. on a statistical, ie percentage up level, i would expect ajax to improve more, yet on that efg% thing, ajax is already at 43.6%, but his 3fg% is also currently at 11.8%, so chose the metric however u'd like.

Reaction Score
Where are there even minutes at this point? If Watts had to sit a year I would get it with Cole & Martin likely gone after 2022 (maybe they do a fifth year, but I doubt it).

You already are juggling Cole, Gaff, Hawkins, and Diggins + maybe Andre at the two guard spots.

Sure there will be three guard lineups but there's also a log jam at the 3 between Tyrese, Andre, and Polley.

This team needs a fifth guard for depth in case someone gets injured. Maybe Watts is OK being that guy, but I don't see much PT left for a squad that is even deeper than the last season.
I’m highly skeptical he commits. Probably was way more engaged waiting for Polleys decision. If he commits someone likely gets squeezed off the roster. He has plenty of choices outside of UConn that are probably more appealing. This roster has a log jam as it is.

Reaction Score
Where are there even minutes at this point? If Watts had to sit a year I would get it with Cole & Martin likely gone after 2022 (maybe they do a fifth year, but I doubt it).

You already are juggling Cole, Gaff, Hawkins, and Diggins + maybe Andre at the two guard spots.

Sure there will be three guard lineups but there's also a log jam at the 3 between Tyrese, Andre, and Polley.

This team needs a fifth guard for depth in case someone gets injured. Maybe Watts is OK being that guy, but I don't see much PT left for a squad that is even deeper than the last season.
Exactly why I don’t believe any of these rumors .

Reaction Score
I’m highly skeptical he commits. Probably was way more engaged waiting for Polleys decision. If he commits someone likely gets squeezed off the roster. He has plenty of choices outside of UConn that are probably more appealing. This roster has a log jam as it is.
Curious. Do you think we add anyone else with any of the 3 schollys? How many do you think we should use and what type of player should we look for?

I agree with the crowded roster, but i’m not sure where we go from here.

Reaction Score
Curious. Do you think we add anyone else with any of the 3 schollys? How many do you think we should use and what type of player should we look for?

I agree with the crowded roster, but i’m not sure where we go from here.
I agree with storrs south. Someone for depth and can shoot the ball reliably if called on.

Reaction Score
I agree with storrs south. Someone for depth and can shoot the ball reliably if called on.
I said this on another thread, but there’s definitely no way we can fill all 3 scholarships unless someone wants to red shirt or comes in as a developmental player who isn’t expecting any minutes. I definitely agree that one more is solid.

Reaction Score
i would reasonably expect mr watts, on a practical level, to improve more than ajax. on a statistical, ie percentage up level, i would expect ajax to improve more, yet on that efg% thing, ajax is already at 43.6%, but his 3fg% is also currently at 11.8%, so chose the metric however u'd like.
Andre 43% is dunks how many shots from outside of 3 feet did you see him make? I don't think that comparison makes too much sense.

Reaction Score
Yup, basically what BA was supposed to be this year. That's what I had in mind. Already set basically at starter and reserve minutes at every position so at this point it's either developmental or in case of injury & just happy to be in Storrs.

I can only see 1 more scholarship being used at this point without pushing someone off the roster, which from what we've seen up to this point Hurley doesn't do. Unless someone is transferring which hasn't happened and I hope does not, I don't see the fit.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Andre 43% is dunks how many shots from outside of 3 feet did you see him make? I don't think that comparison makes too much sense.
cheez and crackers man, i put up stuff that would allow u to choose something to feel 'right' in your opinion. obviously and thus far, ajax is a '3 and d guy,' with the '3' part meaning 3 feet and closer to the rim.
now, im gonna go all backdoor on u with ur
'I know his numbers but look at his form' comment.
typo looks like a bball player, but he just ain't. that makeup stuff for the ladies is often just a mask.

Reaction Score
Yup, basically what BA was supposed to be this year. That's what I had in mind. Already set basically at starter and reserve minutes at every position so at this point it's either developmental or in case of injury & just happy to be in Storrs.

I can only see 1 more scholarship being used at this point without pushing someone off the roster, which from what we've seen up to this point Hurley doesn't do. Unless someone is transferring which hasn't happened and I hope does not, I don't see the fit.
I wonder if Hurley would ever offer Andre’s brother Marcus Jackson as like a one year scholarship (shades of Brendan Allen) and then potentially preferred walk on after that if they use 13 in the future? Doubt he’d be interested because he has some legit mid major offers but you never know.

Reaction Score

Maybe take Gaff's minutes? Then whatever happens happens? Oh yeah loyalty. My bad.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Rocket Watts. Worst case scenario he's bad, rides the bench, and then transfers again. Best case scenario, he's a legit starter that makes UConn noticeably better. With Polley back, Hawkins' rep as a shooter, the strides we've seen Gaffney make % wise, and the fact that Cole is a pretty solid shooter I think we can afford to take on a guy who may struggle from 3.

Reaction Score
His numbers and advanced stats are pretty rough, but I get that if you’re not playing in the right system, a change of scenery can do wonders. How much so would be the question. Going off their actions, the staff still seems intent on adding another guard if they find a decent fit. They’ve reached out to quite a few in the market, at least 4-5, maybe more. Itll be interesting to see who they add, do think one way or another theyll like add one more guy and bank the other two scholarships.

My hope is they’re putting in serious work with the ‘22 class and can get a reclass from that group. With having a couple open scholarships, I’d love to see a kid come in a semester early or even a whole year early. Possibly steal a kid away before the recruitment blows up even more. Another note with the seniors coming back, it’ll be interesting to see how many schools across the Big East and country keep schollies open. UConn will likely bank a scholly or two, less available for either incoming freshmen or transfer portal players. Some players will be left out when the musical chairs end.

Reaction Score
Watts starts next to Cole day UNO. Gaffney is strictly a Craig Austria type IMO. Which is okay, we absolutely need that guy. But I think the upside with Watts is much higher
All fair points.

Reaction Score
IMO.. Rocket doesn't strike me as the kind of player looking for PT off the bench or as a role player.

DH was looking at him out of HS so he has familiarity with his game. If there is legit mutual interest again (as is suggested by some of these prognosticators)--. DH must see PT being up for grabs among his guards.

Question for the BY Scouting Dept-- Does Watts have the ability to play off the ball and be a consistent contributor or is his "lane" as a PG only? I think his shooting percentages could trend up when he is more selective with his shots.

Can he be a positive influence in the locker room and will he play D?

Nice to have /not have to have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't want Watts if the cost is losing a current roster member. I wouldn't trade potential Watts upgrade if it means losing freshmen Hawkins, for example. Hurley seems to have a solid grasp on his current roster pulse so I have confidence he will make the right decision, not just for next year but for the next couple years.

Reaction Score
I don't want Watts if the cost is losing a current roster member. I wouldn't trade potential Watts upgrade if it means losing freshmen Hawkins, for example. Hurley seems to have a solid grasp on his current roster pulse so I have confidence he will make the right decision, not just for next year but for the next couple years.
I don’t think anyone decomits or transfers because we add Watts. We can’t not add talent because we’re afraid to hurt feelings. A guy like Hawkins will find his way on the court imo

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone decomits or transfers because we add Watts. We can’t not add talent because we’re afraid to hurt feelings. A guy like Hawkins will find his way on the court imo
I hope you're right. Personally, I'm very high on Hawkins and really think he has freshmen-Bouk type potential.

Reaction Score
It's a strange case where I look at this team and it feels like we're 1 legit guard/wing away from being a top 15 team, and at the same time it's hard to find minutes for that guy
For the upcoming season (again, only this upcoming season) we have 4 B-'s at the 2guard spot. Cole is actually our best offensive option for the 2, but he's also the best offensive option at the point, so I'm guessing he sees most of his time there (but if we didn't bring in any other 2s maybe he plays some Diggins + Cole minutes where he plays off ball).

Gaff is a combo with not enough aggressiveness in the half court and unproven shooting.
Hawkins is a freshman outside the top 30.
Diggins is a pure point freshman outside the top 30.
Andre doesn't have the shooting to be ideal at the 2.

Watts has the pedigree and potential to be an A at the 2 in his junior year, but has played like a C+ so far. It's a tough call.

Reaction Score
This team sorely needs two things: shooting, and penetration/shot creation. I haven't watched him too much but if he can create for others consistently and can improve as a shooter, I think it's worth it.

Cole is a decent creator, but struggles against the top end athletic teams. I think Sool will end up being a great PG but is he ready this year?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah it seems, especially on his midrange pullups, that he hangs and shoots almost fading backwards. Taking too long and poor balance. He's taking too many contested shots in general, and doesn't have a great ability to separate (or the length and athleticism to shoot over the defense), so he's compensating with this poor form. It's probably fixable with film work, shooting work, and a different role/scheme that puts him in better situations.

It's hard to know whether I'm hung up on wanting him out of HS, his pedigree, his awesome name... or definitely all of the above. But I do want to try and fix him. I'm not sure if we're able to land a better option we don't have to fix, but we've struck out so far.
We've had way too many guys over the last 6-7 years that were lacking in one or more areas and seemingly had great talent or length upside (if only we could fix this or that) but the only guy who consistently got better year after year despite deficiencies was Vital and that was because he had a no quit/no surrender attitude which was kind of normal culture back in the day here once upon a time. DH trying to rebuild that again by developing freshman from the start and pushing everyone to give their all. It will be very interesting to see who improves during the off season. I think it is a very different culture in the outside world these kids are coming from. I used to think it was sad to see so many kids glued to i phones 24/7 and every kid coming off the team bus with ear pods on. You are only young once. Hope this is changing and based on the hustle they showed last year and commitment to summer work it seems to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
cheez and crackers man, i put up stuff that would allow u to choose something to feel 'right' in your opinion. obviously and thus far, ajax is a '3 and d guy,' with the '3' part meaning 3 feet and closer to the rim.
now, im gonna go all backdoor on u with ur
'I know his numbers but look at his form' comment.
typo looks like a bball player, but he just ain't. that makeup stuff for the ladies is often just a mask.

Much like a lot of your posts, a mask. I gotcha not sure what ladies you're talking about with a mask but I'm talking about a basketball player. And I know Rocket Watts is one, just wondering how good he can really be. They eyes say he can be special, your words say no. I will wait for Hurley on this one thanks. Go grab some soup and crackers but take the mask off if you're going to eat anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom