Rocket Watts? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Don’t agree there are 4 teams better than us. Do think we need another shot maker. Braziller is off. The other guy is spot on
Im not comfortable with the stance that we don't have to be great, just better than the majority of teams in a down year for the BE. If it leads to another first round exit in the tourney, then we aren't progressing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, it would be nice to have another Polley-level player for insurance in the event that Polley does not improve his consistency from last season. It would increase our odds of finding a hot hand on any given night, which the teams that beat us all seemed to have.

But if you are a Polley-level player in the portal, are you looking to come compete with a graduate player who is the reigning Sixth Man in the Big East, as well as a heralded freshman or two?

I can see why we are where we are. It's not a bad place, but we have work to do.

Reaction Score
Im not comfortable with the stance that we don't have to be great, just better than the majority of teams in a down year for the BE. If it leads to another first round exit in the tourney, then we aren't progressing.
The Big East isn't going to be down next year, I think 5 teams in the tournament is the minimum next year and 6 wouldn't surprise me

Reaction Score
The Big East isn't going to be down next year, I think 5 teams in the tournament is the minimum next year and 6 wouldn't surprise me
But I think his point is we shouldn’t be okay with just being in the mix. Or just being “good”. We should be making moves to be great. Not saying the staff isn’t and hasn’t tried, or that we won’t be next year. Just saying we have sooooo many question marks that it’s impossible to be confident in either stance. Are we sure were better than Villanova, St. John’s(if Champaigne) returns, or even Seton Hall? It’s possible, but I’m not confident in saying yes

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, it would be nice to have another Polley-level player for insurance in the event that Polley does not improve his consistency from last season. It would increase our odds of finding a hot hand on any given night, which the teams that beat us all seemed to have.

But if you are a Polley-level player in the portal, are you looking to come compete with a graduate player who is the reigning Sixth Man in the Big East, as well as a heralded freshman or two?

I can see why we are where we are. It's not a bad place, but we have work to do.
One thing the staff has hit a home run with is positioning us for the future. I’m so excited about the team we’ll have in a season or 2. But next season is a big ? for me

Reaction Score
But I think his point is we shouldn’t be okay with just being in the mix. Or just being “good”. We should be making moves to be great. Not saying the staff isn’t and hasn’t tried, or that we won’t be next year. Just saying we have sooooo many question marks that it’s impossible to be confident in either stance. Are we sure were better than Villanova, St. John’s(if Champaigne) returns, or even Seton Hall? It’s possible, but I’m not confident in saying yes
I just don't think there's as many question marks as people are saying. I don't think we're better than Villanova who's going to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the country, but I will very confidently say we're better than Seton Hall and St John's right now.

Nothing the staff has done this offseason indicates they're satisfied with being mediocre and aren't striving to be great. With how much turnover there's been all across college basketball you don't think there's any benefit to returning almost the entire team and having continuity?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah people get bent over Hurley’s statements. Tune that out and watch the results. Every year has been better than the previous one since he’s been here. The success won’t be linear but I like the trend in recruiting and on the court.
Taking the sane approach is no vice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just don't think there's as many question marks as people are saying.
I guess it depends on how you count the question marks.

Our front court is great.

Our back court is unproven beyond Cole, who, while serviceable, has his limitations and also benefited from all the defensive attention paid to Bouknight. So it remains to be seen how Cole performs at this level over the course of the entire season without an elite scorer alongside him; and whether some combination of the rest of our back court can provide enough points. That's either two questions, or a half dozen, depending on whether you count the holes or the potential players to fill them.

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on how you count the question marks.

Our front court is great.

Our back court is unproven beyond Cole, who, while serviceable, has his limitations and also benefited from all the defensive attention paid to Bouknight. So it remains to be seen how Cole performs at this level over the course of the entire season without an elite scorer alongside him; and whether some combination of the rest of our back court can provide enough points. That's either two questions, or a half dozen, depending on whether you count the holes or the potential players to fill them.
But we have a glimpse into how Cole will play without Bouknight since there was a month stretch with his injury, and Cole was very good in that stretch. Same with Tyrese Martin who had his best games in that stretch.

I guess a more accurate way to phrase my point was a lot of the questions people seem to have just have very obvious answers to step up and take over those roles. And even the holes without an obvious answer, there's 2-3 options. Expecting all the players to be great is a stretch but I don't think it's crazy that 1 of the 3 will step up

Reaction Score
I hate relying on freshman and unknowns(Akok). Next season we’re rolling the dice big time. Our ceiling is very high, but our floor is lower than I’m comfortable with. That’s where I stand today
I think that’s a good way of putting it. I think we will compete and give teams fits but there could certainly be nights where we are all pulling our hair out watching this team struggle to put the ball in the hoop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that’s a good way of putting it. I think we will compete and give teams fits but there could certainly be nights where we are all pulling our hair out watching this team struggle to put the ball in the hoop.
I’ve said this before but we are not going to have anyone go off for 40 points on any given night. But we are going to have a lot of guys who can score. Those are the kinds of teams that are always difficult to scout, because you can only take away so many options at any given time. I don’t know how good we are going to be, but I like the pieces and I feel like we are headed in the right direction. If I have a concern, it would be whether Danny has the ability to game plan and adjust to take advantage of that flexibility consistently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

They both go on to mention Xavier, Butler, St. John's, and Seton Hall as teams that could be ahead of UConn.

UConn beat Xavier and Butler a collective three times this season with no losses...all without James Bouknight. They return basically the same lineups so that makes no sense

St. John's and Seton Hall I have on the bubble given the losses they both took in the portal/NBA offset a lot of their gains imo (Seton Hall losing best player, SJU losing literally everyone not named Julian, Posh, Addae-Wusu).

Reaction Score
It’s been beaten like a dead horse, but we didn’t run an offense sophisticated enough to play to our strengths. We had Polley sprinting all around the floor but still struggled to get him open shots, which he needs because he’s not a great contested shooter. We high screen a ton but don’t screen for shooters much. If we integrate some type of offense other than the weave maybe we’ll be fine with our current players. Our #1 option should be Adama in the post and IW mopping up the messes, but all good teams hit threes, and we need more than 1.5 players to prove they can.

Reaction Score
Inteesting from Amore. I didn't realize the courant was still covering UConn men's basketball. I thought they had become the exclusive media outlet for women's basketball.
??

Reaction Score
If Whaley and Polley had left this offseason and two dudes named Paley and Wolley came in with their exact skill sets, this entire board would be over the moon with how we crushed the transfer portal. I get that we still have holes in the roster, but outside of 4-5 teams in the country that can be said about anyone. Trust in Hurley.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If Whaley and Polley had left this offseason and two dudes named Paley and Wolley came in with their exact skill sets, this entire board would be over the moon with how we crushed the transfer portal. I get that we still have holes in the roster, but outside of 4-5 teams in the country that can be said about anyone. Trust in Hurley.
If he were a better framer than carpenter, DH would have first said, "We've identified a guy who was DPOY in a major conference, and I'm very confident will fit with what we're doing, and work well with the guys we've got, which is very important to what we are building here."

A bit later he'd have said, "Another one of our targets was his conference's 6th Man of the Year, after coming back from a season-ending injury the year before. We're hopeful that his 3-pt shooting percentage returns to the 40% range of his 1st two years, and again feel great about how he fits with the program we've been building, and expect that he'll be great with the guys already on board."

Reaction Score

UConn picks up a major conference's sixth man of the year and defensive player of the year for a bonus season? sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom