OT: - Road Cycling | The Boneyard

OT: Road Cycling

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’ve been mountain biking for a few years now, but have just started road riding to try to build up endurance. Really just started in the past few weeks, building up from 15 miles to 20, to doing 31 today. I’m just curious about how BY road riders have built up endurance and any tips that you might have. I’ve been doing a lot of climbing...I’m in Glastonbury, so been going into the orchards or up John Tom Hill. Just looking for advice to get myself to riding 50+

Reaction Score
I used to do a lot of road biking and Glastonbury was the place I used to ride a lot. Climbing hills is definitely a good way to increase your endurance. I don't know if I have any specific advice on how to increase your endurance except to gradually increase the length and difficulty of your rides. My favorite ride in Glastonbury was up Hebron Avenue into Hebron or take a left on to 85 past Gay City State Park and then into Manchester. Going up Hebron Avenue is probably the longest climb east of the CT River. We used to call that Birch Mountain. Is that the same thing as John Tom Hill?

I used to ride 20-25 miles 2-3 times a week M-F and then on the weekends we'd do 1-2 rides of about 50-75 miles. If you want new terrain you can put your bike on your car and head north and do loops. A favorite loop ride was around the Quabbin Reservoir in MA. Sometimes we would hitch a ride with friends and they'd drop us off in Vermont and then we'd ride home.

The best shape I was ever in was a trip we did from Salt Lake City to Denver. Did about 80-100 miles a day. Went up the Wasatch Mountains out of SLC, then picked up Rt. 40 in Park City, UT. Then all along 40 until we got to Estes Park in Colorado. Then down into Boulder and then to Denver to fly home. We did 3 climbs on the trip that were over 20 miles of riding uphill. Nothing like that in CT! I'll never forget leaving Grand Lake and it was 75 degrees in the morning and 4 hours later at the top of Trail Ridge Road it was snowing out. When I got home I was in sick shape. A combination of long rides, lots of climbing and the thin air.

Sorry I don't have more specifics for you. Just keep riding and increase the intensity of your rides.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I used to do a lot of road biking and Glastonbury was the place I used to ride a lot. Climbing hills is definitely a good way to increase your endurance. I don't know if I have any specific advice on how to increase your endurance except to gradually increase the length and difficulty of your rides. My favorite ride in Glastonbury was up Hebron Avenue into Hebron or take a left on to 85 past Gay City State Park and then into Manchester. Going up Hebron Avenue is probably the longest climb east of the CT River. We used to call that Birch Mountain. Is that the same thing as John Tom Hill?

I used to ride 20-25 miles 2-3 times a week M-F and then on the weekends we'd do 1-2 rides of about 50-75 miles. If you want new terrain you can put your bike on your car and head north and do loops. A favorite loop ride was around the Quabbin Reservoir in MA. Sometimes we would hitch a ride with friends and they'd drop us off in Vermont and then we'd ride home.

The best shape I was ever in was a trip we did from Salt Lake City to Denver. Did about 80-100 miles a day. Went up the Wasatch Mountains out of SLC, then picked up Rt. 40 in Park City, UT. Then all along 40 until we got to Estes Park in Colorado. Then down into Boulder and then to Denver to fly home. We did 3 climbs on the trip that were over 20 miles of riding uphill. Nothing like that in CT! I'll never forget leaving Grand Lake and it was 75 degrees in the morning and 4 hours later at the top of Trail Ridge Road it was snowing out. When I got home I was in sick shape. A combination of long rides, lots of climbing and the thin air.

Sorry I don't have more specifics for you. Just keep riding and increase the intensity of your rides.

This is all great to hear. Sounds like your time in SLC was awesome. So it sounds like an ‘average’ ride of 20-25 should get me in solid shape to leg it out for longer ones on the weekend. And yes, John Tom and Birch Mtn are the same thing...I climbed up via back roads rather than hebron ave, but ended up in the same spot. I’m trying to start doing endurance MTB races next summer, and riding on the road is the only way to get the miles in needed to get to that fitness level.

Reaction Score
I’ve been mountain biking for a few years now, but have just started road riding to try to build up endurance. Really just started in the past few weeks, building up from 15 miles to 20, to doing 31 today. I’m just curious about how BY road riders have built up endurance and any tips that you might have. I’ve been doing a lot of climbing...I’m in Glastonbury, so been going into the orchards or up John Tom Hill. Just looking for advice to get myself to riding 50+
It’s great exercise for couples too! Get Yammy out there with you.
9e5694a3-7abf-465f-a498-85a43ec8d053

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

get a job

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
When I trained for my first century I would increase my short ride days by 2-5 miles a week and my long rides by 5-10 miles a week. It got me century ready really quickly and felt easy to do. Make sure you bring some goo packets, etc so you don't deplete energy too soon.

I also spent my short days doing things like hill climbing or sprinting.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
When I trained for my first century I would increase my short ride days by 2-5 miles a week and my long rides by 5-10 miles a week. It got me century ready really quickly and felt easy to do. Make sure you bring some goo packets, etc so you don't deplete energy too soon.

I also spent my short days doing things like hill climbing or sprinting.

I tend to dislike the goo packs...they make my stomach upset. I generally bring sugary foods that I’ll eat at hour intervals. Adding a couple of miles each week to routine rides seems like a good plan. My body didn’t feel ready for much more than 30 with a good deal of climbing involved. On flatter ground I could do more, but need to take some time to stretch it out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have two now that I’ve graduated

I bought a $600 bike in Glastonbury today (no joke). When we hitting the Airline Trail?

I’ll Uber home from Willimantic Brewing.

Reaction Score
Ride 3 days a week. 2x 20ish miles during the week then a long one on the weekend. Of course make sure you are getting proper Nutrition. Sounds like you are on the right track. If you can find a group to ride with that's great and motivating too.

Extended Spin class or a trainer with Zwift is a great way to get a lot of miles. Nothing really like being out on the bike though!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I tend to dislike the goo packs...they make my stomach upset. I generally bring sugary foods that I’ll eat at hour intervals. Adding a couple of miles each week to routine rides seems like a good plan. My body didn’t feel ready for much more than 30 with a good deal of climbing involved. On flatter ground I could do more, but need to take some time to stretch it out.

Forget the goo packs - they're garbage.

You're not going to burn all of your candles in an hour or two, so don't sweat the nutrition. If you must, and you have two cages on your bike and you know you'll be out for a while, fill one with water and the other with a diluted sports' drink.

Find a bike club in your area - they'll have group rides with descriptions. Email the ride leader, tell him what you've been doing and he'll probably suggest a C ride, or whatever their equivalent of a beginner ride is. Ride with that group. In about a week or two or three, you'll move up to B.

Higher the group, the longer, faster the rides are. It's not rocket science - you'll learn to ride in a pack and you'll get into road shape.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I bought a $600 bike in Glastonbury today (no joke). When we hitting the Airline Trail?

I’ll Uber home from Willimantic Brewing.

Did you buy it at Bicycles East by any chance? Today was my day off from there...part time in the service area

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Forget the goo packs - they're garbage.

You're not going to burn all of your candles in an hour or two, so don't sweat the nutrition. If you must, and you have two cages on your bike and you know you'll be out for a while, fill one with water and the other with a diluted sports' drink.

Find a bike club in your area - they'll have group rides with descriptions. Email the ride leader, tell him what you've been doing and he'll probably suggest a C ride, or whatever their equivalent of a beginner ride is. Ride with that group. In about a week or two or three, you'll move up to B.

Higher the group, the longer, faster the rides are. It's not rocket science - you'll learn to ride in a pack and you'll get into road shape.

I personally agree on the goo pack comment. I work at a shop in town, and don’t really feel like riding with a shop group because it’ll feel like work. I also sort of like having alone time on my bike. In any case, agreed on the diluted sports drink suggestion and I think I’ll be slowly upping mileage on my weeknight rides as others have suggested

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I personally agree on the goo pack comment. I work at a shop in town, and don’t really feel like riding with a shop group because it’ll feel like work. I also sort of like having alone time on my bike. In any case, agreed on the diluted sports drink suggestion and I think I’ll be slowly upping mileage on my weeknight rides as others have suggested

Riding in groups is overrated.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I'm sure your shop has rides, but I'm also sure there's a bike club in your area. The upside to the group ride is that you can go farther and faster than you can on your own. And riding in a pack is something you'll need to learn at some point.

But I completely get wanting to get the hell away from people. You've been mountain biking, so you likely already have the leg strength. The big adjustment to road cycling is the cadence and conditioning - the effort is more sustained. It'll come together quickly for you.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm sure your shop has rides, but I'm also sure there's a bike club in your area. The upside to the group ride is that you can go farther and faster than you can on your own. And riding in a pack is something you'll need to learn at some point.

But I completely get wanting to get the hell away from people. You've been mountain biking, so you likely already have the leg strength. The big adjustment to road cycling is the cadence and conditioning - the effort is more sustained. It'll come together quickly for you.

For sure more sustained effort. The difference in gear ratios between mountain and road bikes has been a big adjustment as well...rear cogs on mountain bikes are massive, whereas there really isn’t a total ‘granny gear’ on my road bike

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What kind of bike is it? I’m probably building it this afternoon. That’ll teach you to rag me about not having a job. Your life is in my hands now

I got them at 10. I was going to ask the beardo in the green hat if he was you.

$1800 - homeboy is cleaning up.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I got them at 10. I was going to ask the beardo in the green hat if he was you.

$1800 - homeboy is cleaning up.

Were you the dude with the little girls who was waiting outside before we were open? I was definitely back there. The guy with the beard runs the service shop, not me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom