RJ Cole OV 5/9-5/11 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole OV 5/9-5/11

Reaction Score
Alabama in the mix for coveted Howard transfer
“Right now, I haven’t decided which school I like the most,” Cole said. “I just know who’s been talking to me the most — UConn, Alabama and Arkansas’ been coming around, Seton Hall, schools like that. But I haven’t decided which school I like the most.”

In addition to meeting with Hodgson, Cole has also talked on the phone with Alabama head coach Nate Oats. And Oats will now have a chance to further try to sell Cole on joining the Tide when he’s in Tuscaloosa next week.

“It was a really good conversation (with Oats),” Cole said. “I like the type of coach he is and I’m looking forward to going on my visit.”

Reaction Score
Alabama in the mix for coveted Howard transfer
“Right now, I haven’t decided which school I like the most,” Cole said. “I just know who’s been talking to me the most — UConn, Alabama and Arkansas’ been coming around, Seton Hall, schools like that. But I haven’t decided which school I like the most.”

In addition to meeting with Hodgson, Cole has also talked on the phone with Alabama head coach Nate Oats. And Oats will now have a chance to further try to sell Cole on joining the Tide when he’s in Tuscaloosa next week.

“It was a really good conversation (with Oats),” Cole said. “I like the type of coach he is and I’m looking forward to going on my visit.”
Hasn’t Hurley already met RJ and his parents? And Oates hasn’t met anyone in person yet? I think that helps?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hasn’t Hurley already met RJ and his parents? And Oates hasn’t met anyone in person yet? I think that helps?

Kids love Oats. He's gonna clean up at Bama imo

Reaction Score
I've met Oats. Sat next to him. He is a nice guy. But let's not pretend he has some magic powder here. He is no more/less likable than Hurley or others. Bama has always gotten good recruits for a reason.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
So if we land him he sits out a year and has 2 years eligibility left. While I think all signs point to him being a great guard, doesn’t it seem like he sits out 1 year, only to declare for the NBA after that one year? I mean he’s even testing the NBA waters right now. Am I missing something here?

Reaction Score
So if we land him he sits out a year and has 2 years eligibility left. While I think all signs point to him being a great guard, doesn’t it seem like he sits out 1 year, only to declare for the NBA after that one year? I mean he’s even testing the NBA waters right now. Am I missing something here?

I get the comment but overall brand recognition, etc. If this kid went pro & got drafted, that’s better for the brand/future recruiting than some kid coming here for 4 years & nevr playing an NBA second

g_smith

Reaction Score
I get the comment but overall brand recognition, etc. If this kid went pro & got drafted, that’s better for the brand/future recruiting than some kid coming here for 4 years & nevr playing an NBA second

Ah was not thinking of that. Sometimes I forget Drummond was technically a UConn program alum that’s crushing it in the NBA. Still I don’t like that we’re in a position where we have to do things like this for recruits. We still have strong name recognition. I want players who want to build us back up. Everyone knows that’s where all the fun and story is. I guess I’ll be happy if we land him but a freshman big man would do so much more.

g_smith

Reaction Score
RJ Cole isn't on draft radars yet, and won't be after sitting out a year.

So you think Hurley sees 2 years - even if he has a blowup year 1?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why not just to the NBA now then. Why wait a year at all?

Reaction Score
So you think Hurley sees 2 years - even if he has a blowup year 1?

If he has a blowup year enough to get draft buzz when Sid is a junior, Polley senior, Carlton senior, Bouk/Akok/Gaffney are sophomores.... I think we'll sign up for investing a blank scholarship for a year for just that hype year and no 2nd. You're talkng Sweet 16 at a minimum to get that kind of pub. (Leaving out senior Gilbert because if Cole is blowing up that hard, likely means Gilbert left after graduating next year.)

Reaction Score
The article is from an Alabama source and so it makes sense that it highlights the Bama perspective. Nate Oats and Hurley are actually really good friends and run programs the right way. If it comes down to those two, Cole can’t go wrong with either one. The St. Anthony connection gets them a visit but isn’t a lock. I hope he doesn’t, but Cole may want to expand his basketball experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, the grind continues and flood alerts are in the news.
But I heard the rain may clear up sooner than expected and the dam will hold. Honestly, I am a fan of Chief. But we have at least 1 scholarship available and its almost May. Of course, some one will sign. You need to be more specific.

C

Chief00

But I heard the rain may clear up sooner than expected and the dam will hold. Honestly, I am a fan of Chief. But we have at least 1 scholarship available and its almost May. Of course, some one will sign. You need to be more specific.
Keep the faith - I know the knives are out and Zion has pronounced the dam sealed. Campus looks beautiful this time of year. The grind will pay off soon.

Reaction Score
Ranking the Best Transfers in College Basketball This Offseason - Stadium
4) R.J. Cole, 6-1, 185, PG, Soph., Howard
Stats: 21.4 ppg, 6.4 apg, 4.1 rpg, 39% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Dynamic all-around guard who can dominate the game by scoring, passing and on defense. Was terrific — and the scary part is he can get a lot better.”
Schools: Alabama (5-1), UConn (5-9), Murray State, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, Colorado State, Pittsburgh, Butler, Boston College, Washington State, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, St. John’s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom