RJ Cole expectations? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole expectations?

Reaction Score
How do you factor in the huge difference in the level of competition?

I don’t think it will be nearly as big an adjustment as many want to believe. Yes he will be playing better players on offense and defense. But again, at Howard he was constantly double teamed and opposing defenses put all their focus on him. He STILL put up those points and 3pt%. When he’s on the court with players like Bouk, Gaff, Jackson, Polley and Whaley all of the attention won’t be on him. If it is, he’ll drop 8 dimes finding the open man. If it’s not, he’ll take advantage of the increase in space to work with.

Reaction Score
Mine is always around 85!! Let me take the first crack: Bouk (18), Cole (15), Whaley (8), Gaffney (7), Polley (6), Jackson (6), Adams (6), Carlton (5), Springs (4), Wilson (4), Javonte (2).

Not bad only 81!!
Cole too high , maybe 12-13 a game, gaff too high 5-6 a game, polley cud be a bit higher , Wilson too high, Carlton shud be 7-8, everything else looks good lol

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to see what he brings. No more waiting for ferraris.

Searching for a quality luxury cars and truck will undoubtedly bring anyone to the rather apt adjective, “exotic”. Ferrari 488, Exotic Sports Cars, Exotic Cars, Super Sport Cars, Super Cars, Liberty Walk Cars, Top Luxury Cars, F12 Berlinetta, Automobile

Reaction Score
You guys are unbelievable. We have a starting point guard. He is big and looks to be at worst a solid player. Cole played in the lowest level D1 league in the country. Those guys are rarely stars at higher levels. And he played well against Georgetown. Great. You do understand that guys occasionally have good games against superior opponents. But that there is a huge difference between playing well against Georgetown in November then playing Delaware State and Florida A&M and playing Georgetown then Villanova then Marquette. The difference in size, speed and skill on an every day basis will be staggering. BTW Georgetown had huge leads in both games agaist Howard With Cole. He played the whole game practically. You think maybe his numbers were helped when Georgetown stopped playing tough d up by 20 or so?

My guess is he will be a useful piece off the bench spelling Gaffney. But in any case he isn’t getting 5 assists and 13 points.

Reaction Score
You guys are unbelievable. We have a starting point guard. He is big and looks to be at worst a solid player. Cole played in the lowest level D1 league in the country. Those guys are rarely stars at higher levels. And he played well against Georgetown. Great. You do understand that guys occasionally have good games against superior opponents. But that there is a huge difference between playing well against Georgetown in November then playing Delaware State and Florida A&M and playing Georgetown then Villanova then Marquette. The difference in size, speed and skill on an every day basis will be staggering. BTW Georgetown had huge leads in both games agaist Howard With Cole. He played the whole game practically. You think maybe his numbers were helped when Georgetown stopped playing tough d up by 20 or so?

My guess is he will be a useful piece off the bench spelling Gaffney. But in any case he isn’t getting 5 assists and 13 points.

So Hurley recruited Cole to UConn knowing Cole would have to sit a year and tie up one of 12 scholarships, so that we can have an adequate backup point guard the following season? Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Let's revisit this a year from today.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a tweet that said last year all grad transfers averaging double figures that transferred up failed to do so on their new team? RJ Cole isn't a grad transfer of course, it just demonstrates the leap he is taking.

I'm still setting my expectations at a slightly more efficient Tarin Smith with a better 3 point shot. So something like 9/3/3.

Reaction Score
He is a small low mid major point guard. Hurley likes big guards. I have no idea why he landed the kid. He will be fine in a backup role. There are people here expecting him to be better than Napier, better than AJ Price. Please

Reaction Score

Goodness gracious, some of you are shocking me. I hate to keep carrying on about this but this argument is just ridiculous. Prepare to be amazed, that’s all I’ll say.

Reaction Score
Goodness gracious, some of you are shocking me. I hate to keep carrying on about this but this argument is just ridiculous. Prepare to be amazed, that’s all I’ll say.

Coach Hurley knew what he was getting with Cole far more than some Boneyard pessimist. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to seeing him in a UConn uniform, especially when he is surrounded by guys like Bouk, Jackson, Gaffney, Polley, and Whaley.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley knew what he was getting with Cole far more than some Boneyard pessimist. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to seeing him in a UConn uniform, especially when he is surrounded by guys like Bouk, Jackson, Gaffney, Polley, and Whaley.

My point exactly. Hurley knows this program needs to get championship level talent. He wouldn’t have recruited RJ if he didn’t think he was that. He’ll have more space and will be playing with better players here. His usage won’t be the same here as Howard but his efficiency will greatly improve.

Reaction Score
I do not know if he will average 13 and 5.

I do know Dan Hurley and the staff are not idiots. They wouldn't have held a scholly for a year for a player who isn't talented.

At minimum, I'd expect a decent floor general and leader, with good 3 pt shoting.

9.5/2/3.5 42% from field field. 38% from 3. But improves as the season goes on. Starts over Gaffney all year.

Reaction Score

Well if Gaffney isn’t a lot better Next year and Cole can’t start ahead of him or at least with him we will be closer to the cellar than the top in our first year. Unless we get a special transfer of sorts we won’t have a backcourt to hold their own consistently.

Different views from many but hope everyone is right!

Reaction Score
Have you seen him play?

Reaction Score
Those thinking Cole will average 5-6 assists...what's that going to mean for Gaffney?

5 APG isn't that common in college hoops. Based on our history, if Cole averages that many assists it means he's going to be by far the most ball-dominant player on the team.

Since Marcus Williams--the best passer we've ever had--left 15 years ago, these are the only seasons where someone has averaged 5+ APG.

6.1 Jalen 2017
5.8 Bazz 2012
5.8 AJ 2008
5.1 Kemba 2010

everyone one of them was the primary scoring guard. Cole should be #2 which should free him up for facilitating.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it will be nearly as big an adjustment as many want to believe. Yes he will be playing better players on offense and defense. But again, at Howard he was constantly double teamed and opposing defenses put all their focus on him. He STILL put up those points and 3pt%. When he’s on the court with players like Bouk, Gaff, Jackson, Polley and Whaley all of the attention won’t be on him. If it is, he’ll drop 8 dimes finding the open man. If it’s not, he’ll take advantage of the increase in space to work with.
And he was a freshman..... now he’ll be two more years developed and coached.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Not looking for him to "put up" certain numbers. Looking for him to be a good fit on our team and someone who can be depended upon in a multitude of situations. If he ends up playing in front of Gaffney (which it seems like he might) I hope he is a good role model for the younger kid and that Gaff can learn a thing or two from him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom