RJ Cole expectations? | The Boneyard

RJ Cole expectations?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Is he team leader day 1? Most “sure thing” transfer we’ve had in a while? His stats from Howard are nothing short of phenomenal even against good competition.

C8930AE9-58DD-4DA4-A805-D502A8296446.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I have read on the boneyard, RJ Cole is a combination of Chris Paul & Michael Jordan.

Edit: Just watched his video for the first time and LOVE that he is a lefty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good question. He won't be the leader from Day 1, Bouknight will.

Let's assume that Gaffney, Cole and Bouknight are the team's three starting guards and Adams comes off the bench.

He'll get close to 30 mpg, but nowhere near the 30% possessions used (which was 59th in the nation) in his last year at Howard. For comparison sake, that's a higher rate than Cole Anthony, Cassius Winston, Jarron Cumberland and Mac McClung. His freshman year, his % possessions was 10th in the country, which is insane.

With Bouknight and others, he's not going to get the rock anywhere close to what he got at Howard.

My prediction: 15p, 4a, 1.5s per game.

Reaction Score
Is he team leader day 1? Most “sure thing” transfer we’ve had in a while? His stats from Howard are nothing short of phenomenal even against bad competition.

View attachment 52374

I think you mean even against good * competition. I put the stats up a few months ago... vs p5 competition he had stats basically consistent with the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
he won’t have to be the go to scorer so I think his points and usage will go down but his assists will go up bc he has more options.

14.5pts 6.6 assists 2 rebounds 1.5 steals

Reaction Score

Let's assume that Gaffney, Cole and Bouknight are the team's three starting guards and Adams comes off the bench.

He'll get close to 30 mpg, but nowhere near the 30% possessions used (which was 59th in the nation) in his last year at Howard. For comparison sake, that's a higher rate than Cole Anthony, Cassius Winston, Jarron Cumberland and Mac McClung. His freshman year, his % possessions was 10th in the country, which is insane.

With Bouknight and others, he's not going to get the rock anywhere close to what he got at Howard.

Booknight is not ready to lead anyone..he will grow as a player and become an adult over next few years..maybe he could after that..

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
he won’t have to be the go to scorer so I think his points and usage will go down but his assists will go up bc he has more options.

14.5pts 6.6 assists 2 rebounds 1.5 steals
Hurley said something the other day about him being like a quarterback making the perfect read every time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s like a 7 assist guy. The combo of him, Gaffney, and Bouk is going to be lethal because none of them are shoot first guys. They should play really well together in 3 guard looks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From what I have read on the boneyard, RJ Cole is a combination of Chris Paul & Michael Jordan.

People need to be patient. He may have a slow start due to reduced practice time while he develops a cure to the corona virus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On one hand, he's one of two freshmen (along with Oklahoma's Trae Young) and one of six sophomores (along with Jay Williams from Duke, DJ Augustin from Texas, Trey Burke from Michigan, Cameron Payne and Ja Morant from Murray State) to put up 700+ points and 200+ assists each season since 1992-93.

On the other hand, bad competition doesn't do it justice. Using Sports Reference's strength of schedule rating for each of those above players:

PlayerSOS Rating
Jay Williams (Soph, 2000-01)11.98 (5 out of 318)
Trae Young (FR, 2017-18)10.56 (8 out of 351)
Trey Burke (SO, 2012-13)10.05 (4 out of 347)
DJ Augustin (SO, 2007-08)8.59 (9 out of 341)
Cameron Payne (SO, 2014-15)-2.81 (203 of 351)
Ja Morant (SO, 2018-19)-3.11 (229 out of 353)
RJ Cole (SO, 2018-19)-9.52 (348 out of 353)
RJ Cole (FR, 2017-18)-9.75 (344 out of 351)

He's going to be good for us, but I don't think he'll be as good as some are making him out to be. Jumping up from MEAC (routinely a bottom three conference) to BE (routinely a top three conference) is no joke.

I'm guessing around 9 points and 5 assists a game next year

Reaction Score
Big Time. He will be a huge addition. Just a natural scorer who will fit Hurleys system perfectly. He just needs to be 60-70% of what he was to be a big impact. I really think he will be better than typical MEAC transfers.
He played for Bob Hurley and was included in a showtime documentary which shows his leadership and character:

Reaction Score
Hurley said something the other day about him being like a quarterback making the perfect read every time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s like a 7 assist guy. The combo of him, Gaffney, and Bouk is going to be lethal because none of them are shoot first guys. They should play really well together in 3 guard looks.
Only 7 guys average 7 or more assists this season and only one of those players played at a high major. Marcus Williams is the only UConn player I can remember to average over 7 assists here and he was considered the best passer in the country.

Reaction Score

If he put up numbers like this it would be absolutely amazing. I think it will be closer to 9p,5a, 1s which would be excellent

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's going to be good for us, but I don't think he'll be as good as some are making him out to be. Jumping up from MEAC (routinely a bottom three conference) to BE (routinely a top three conference) is no joke.

I'm guessing around 9 points and 5 assists a game next year

Yeah the point totals are real, real high in this thread. I only care about the 5 ass per game anyway

Worried about this D though

Reaction Score
Booknight is not ready to lead anyone..he will grow as a player and become an adult over next few years..maybe he could after that..
I agree with this. Bouknight never showed any team leadership body language whatsoever this year. It's not a knock. He's a freshman, and CV took the reins.

Maybe Hey Adrien! meant that Bouk will be the scoring leader.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Bouknight never showed any team leadership body language whatsoever this year. It's not a knock. He's a freshman, and CV took the reins.

Maybe Hey Adrien! meant that Bouk will be the scoring leader.

Oh yes he did. A couple of times during the run he proactively pulled the team together in a huddle in a passionate state, driving them. Not saying he's going to be the leader but as he matured this year he did show some potential. You would hope it's Cole but again, to me the unknown. I am fine with a 9.5/6.5/3 line for him. The assists and running the team is of the utmost importance. I mean he did only shoot 39% at Howard total from the floor so we don't need a quantity shooter at all. With better players around him the hope is he gets better looks more consistently. Also I would love to see someone from the grad transfer side come in and be the 2G or another "PG". We will see, long way to go.

EDIT: My bad looked up his numbers 2018-19 he was 41% and 39% form 3. That's solid so that I take back. He wasn't as good against the Tier 1 level comp but he's had a full year to get even better playing against solid guards in practice and getting stronger. I hope he's the guy!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some of the predictions are killing me :( but I’ll leave it at that. Can’t wait for November

Reaction Score
Some of the predictions are killing me :( but I’ll leave it at that. Can’t wait for November

I think we know where you stand and Lord knows as UConn fans we all hope you're correct Jim. But nothing is a given on this subject at all.

Reaction Score
Big Time. He will be a huge addition. Just a natural scorer who will fit Hurleys system perfectly. He just needs to be 60-70% of what he was to be a big impact. I really think he will be better than typical MEAC transfers.
He played for Bob Hurley and was included in a showtime documentary which shows his leadership and character:

I’ve watched this documentary so many times lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom