Riquna Williams | The Boneyard

Riquna Williams

Reaction Score
I've long wondered if the incidents of violence in general and domestic violence in particular in participants in sports is greater than the general population as a whole. Certainly over the past 15 years there certainly been much more awareness and attention to both areas of violence the general population and professional sports. It seems to me that at least in terms of the media there are more incidents over the recent past.

Reactions?

Reaction Score
I have no idea. But if some type of domestic violence happened in my neighborhood, I’d be unlikely to know about. With pro athletes I would. Publicity could be the only difference.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm in VA's camp. Largely, domestic violence of the typical sort isn't covered in the papers. And domestic violence / abuse comes in all levels. My father-in-law was clearly abusive, usually just verbally. But he did cross the line into physical action quite a number of times over the years, for certain. More of a violent temper in the physical, the verbal / emotional abuse was because he was just a nasty man.

In any case, my point is, there was nothing there that was going to come out publicly - had he been a famous person, like anything else involving famous folks, it would have come out.

Reaction Score
I have known a few verbally abusive men,one was married to one of my best friends. He was a veterinarian.... go figure. Afraid of large dogs. Just a general nasty person. Another one was married to a close relative who was verbally abusive and had a nasty temper which would boil over on occasion . Everyone thought he was a charmer. He was good to his kids and I don’t think he e er hit his sons, who love him to this day.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As point of contrast:

Wichita State's Teddy Allen dismissed after arrest

Allen was arrested last Thursday after a woman accused him of causing a disturbance at her home, destroying her iPhone and stealing keys before fleeing on foot. He was later charged with domestic violence property crime and petty theft, both misdemeanors. He faces a July 29 arraignment.​
FWIW, Riquna Williams is charged with felony offenses.

What a black eye for the W. (Painful pun intended.)

Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
...and in the mainstream media and in several places on the Boneyard...
It's distasteful anywhere isn't it. Beating on your significant other won't build a fan base or get P&G to donate $23k per player :oops:

Reaction Score
Here's a great factual breakdown of the situation from SI's legal analyst.

In case anyone wants to see all the accusations against Williams and the WNBA's disciplinary options laid out without the writer taking any particular stance. I found this useful.

The WNBA and issues surrounding domestic abuse
Really helpful, thanks @Orangutan

I hadn't realized that the police have never been involved with Howard or her wife. So far we have a secret video of her being asked a lot of leading questions and a few other tweets. I have no idea whether the accusations will turn out to be true but it seems she's already being tried and convicted in the Court of the Internet without the benefit of due process.

I wish he'd included Sim's drunk driving charges as well. Certainly domestic violence needs a special policy but let's not exclude a league response to other serious crimes.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
WNBA bans Williams 10 games for domestic violence
July 16 - The WNBA suspended Los Angeles Sparks guard Riquna Williams for 10 games without pay as a result of a domestic violence incident involving her ex-girlfriend in December.

In April, Williams was arrested on felony charges of burglary with assault or battery and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, stemming from the December incident. Her criminal case is ongoing.

The WNBA conducted its own internal investigation into this matter, including interviews of Williams and several witnesses. The WNBA also consulted with a panel of experts in the field of domestic violence, upon whom the league relies in connection with such matters.

Based on the investigation, consultation, and a careful weighing of all the facts and circumstances, the WNBA determined that a ten-game suspension was appropriate. Among other factors, the WNBA took into account the nature and seriousness of the conduct at issue, including the involvement of a firearm. The WNBA will also require Williams to participate in counseling. Williams’ suspension will begin with Thursday’s game against the Dallas Wings.

[Story]

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Better late than never. That's a little bit more than half of their remaining regular season schedule.

Reaction Score
HOW THE WNBA COULD LEARN FROM THE NBA’S PROCESS

Excellent article

Part of the challenge for the WNBA with domestic violence controversies is that the current CBA for WNBA players lacks the kind of advanced approach to domestic violence accusations found in the NBA’s CBA. As I explained more fully in a recent Sports Illustrated article on former Boston Celtics guard Jabari Bird, the NBA and National Basketball Players’ Association (NBPA) have negotiated a joint policy on domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think 10 games seems like a reasonable punishment. I'll give credit to the league here.

The party I think deserves criticism is the Sparks. It would have been perfectly easy to take a stand and not re-sign her. Taking morals out of the equation, re-signing her and getting to play her for 24 out of 34 games helps them win basketball games.

I wish that we lived in a world where credible domestic violence allegations would result in a free agent being radioactive, but we're not there yet.

Howard is a different case because she is not facing charge, or at least not yet. I don't have an opinion on what the Storm or the league should do. I will say that if the screenshots of texts Howard's wife posted are legit, they display manipulative behavior that fits with my (non-expert) understanding of classic abuser behavior.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that the WNBA (whoever that actually is) did this on the day before their new boss starts work.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I'm assuming that we'll be seeing those sworn statements tomorrow once the courts are open for business.

Reaction Score
The WNBA union response:

The union said it would file a grievance on Williams' behalf.

"We are disappointed with the league's actions. There is an ongoing criminal proceeding and in fairness to the player, the league could have and should have awaited its completion before taking any action," said Terri Jackson, executive director of the union.

"Riquna has not had a fair opportunity to fully defend herself. We are immediately filing a grievance and will seek the arbitrator's review."

I couldn't help but wonder if a video of William's "incident" was available a la Ray Rice if the narrative would change.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In April, Williams was arrested on felony charges of burglary with assault or battery and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, stemming from the December incident. Her criminal case is ongoing.

Mmm that seems like more than "domestic violence." 10 games?

Reaction Score
I think 10 games seems like a reasonable punishment. I'll give credit to the league here.

The party I think deserves criticism is the Sparks. It would have been perfectly easy to take a stand and not re-sign her. Taking morals out of the equation, re-signing her and getting to play her for 24 out of 34 games helps them win basketball games.

I wish that we lived in a world where credible domestic violence allegations would result in a free agent being radioactive, but we're not there yet.

Howard is a different case because she is not facing charge, or at least not yet. I don't have an opinion on what the Storm or the league should do. I will say that if the screenshots of texts Howard's wife posted are legit, they display manipulative behavior that fits with my (non-expert) understanding of classic abuser behavior.
You make an outstanding point and to your observation below is a contrasting view to what appears to be a similar situation.

Cards release Harrison after arrest warrant issued Cards release Harrison after arrest warrant issued
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Reaction Score

McCann continues excellent reporting on the case.. In particular the current lack of a process in the WNBA CBA agreement reflects the failure of previous commissioners to recognize and proactively prepare for these types of unfortunate events. In addition to due process which is extremely important not only here in sports but in society at large appropriate consequences are necessary. I don't think it's too premature to begin to think about consequences for Williams at the conclusion of both the WNBA grievance process and the legal process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom