Riquna Williams

I've long wondered if the incidents of violence in general and domestic violence in particular in participants in sports is greater than the general population as a whole. Certainly over the past 15 years there certainly been much more awareness and attention to both areas of violence the general population and professional sports. It seems to me that at least in terms of the media there are more incidents over the recent past.

Reactions?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
I'm in VA's camp. Largely, domestic violence of the typical sort isn't covered in the papers. And domestic violence / abuse comes in all levels. My father-in-law was clearly abusive, usually just verbally. But he did cross the line into physical action quite a number of times over the years, for certain. More of a violent temper in the physical, the verbal / emotional abuse was because he was just a nasty man.

In any case, my point is, there was nothing there that was going to come out publicly - had he been a famous person, like anything else involving famous folks, it would have come out.

I have known a few verbally abusive men,one was married to one of my best friends. He was a veterinarian.... go figure. Afraid of large dogs. Just a general nasty person. Another one was married to a close relative who was verbally abusive and had a nasty temper which would boil over on occasion . Everyone thought he was a charmer. He was good to his kids and I don’t think he e er hit his sons, who love him to this day.