Rip's Jersey Being Retired 2/24 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rip's Jersey Being Retired 2/24

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not retired. The only retired number on the men’s side is Ray, 34. Different than Huskies of Honor.
IMG_1553.jpeg

Reaction Score
I love RIP. I hate retiring numbers.

Put a bust in the training facility. Or in the Alumni Center Sports Museum. Does anyone believe that Clingan is not deserving to wear #32?
Lol what? Clingan doesn't need to change his number. He's grandfathered in just like Mariano Rivera with #42

Reaction Score
Change the rule to be that you have to be in the hall of fame or have your jersey retired by an NBA team. Isn't rips retired by Detroit?

Reaction Score

i wonder if the policy change was made when the ncaa allowed players to wear numbers higher than five. previously, it never made sense to retire college jerseys because so few numbers were available.

Reaction Score
and on the women's side, i believe it's only rebecca lobo and swin cash, who are their only currently hall-of-famers (although obviously there will be many more coming)

That’s a silly conclusion. This has nothing to do with Clingan.

First, it was not a declarative sentence, it was a question. It has everything to do with the number.

Besides, UConn has had so many great college players that you could make a cogent argument to retire half the numbers. I prefer what Syracuse football did. They gave the #44 to a great player on the current team honoring Jim Brown as a living tribute. They did eventually retire it but I thought it was better as a living, playing tribute.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only 2-time All-American in UConn Men's Basketball history, led us to our first championship, incredibly successful in the NBA; Hall of Fame or not, it's hard to argue that he doesn't deserve it. Really happy for him. I wonder if it'll mean anything for guys like Emeka and Kemba or not, I think they probably have the 2 strongest cases.

Reaction Score
Maybe it was, but doesn’t make sense. What if a one and done, e.g. Drummond, was a hall of famer based on pro career? College career should be heavily weighted vs. pro career.
A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. You're conflating all players that have their number retired are in the HOF with all players who are in the HOF will have their number retired

Reaction Score
Didn't they pass a rule that 6-9 can be used in jerseys now? I bet we'll be seeing a few more jersey retirements beyond this.

Reaction Score
I Made Some really nice throwback 1999 championship snapback hats for this in limited numbers. Let me know if anyone wants one. Im shipping them and will also be at the game! Message me to reserve and for pics!

Last edited:

Poe

Reaction Score
A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. You're conflating all players that have their number retired are in the HOF with all players who are in the HOF will have their number retired
Yes, I get that, but the requirement still doesn’t make sense. And if it was a requirement, it obviously no longer is, opening the door for Kemba, Shabazz, etc. to have their numbers retired.

Criteria needs to be set by the athletic department or it becomes very subjective.

Reaction Score
I don't like retiring numbers either and there are plenty of other ways to honor players. Plus, it's a team sport and you never see any one player take credit without saying he couldn't have done it without his teammates. Well, I shouldn't say never.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
According to his single, “Pickup Truck”, Big Ed’s number is already up on the wall, and has been for almost 20 years now.

I mean, he was freshman of the year in the ACC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's also ridiculous how in a national championship year, they also are listed in the sweet sixteen section, and the elite 8 section and the final four section, etc. Each year should simply be commemorated for the furthest milestone that was reached.
Disagree. It looks cool.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rip deserves it. That team got us over the hump. He should have been the MOP of the NBA playoffs. Maybe Dom will do a Ray Bourque and give Rip his jersey and have a new number underneath.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You might have someone on ignore. He was responding to a poster saying Emeka's number is also retired already
Ah, got it. I think it may be the other way around. The post I missed is from someone who has me on ignore.

Thanks for the clarification!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom