RIP WES UNSELD. | The Boneyard

RIP WES UNSELD.

Reaction Score
Remember him well, a big fella. Was it Corona?
[/
Unseld's family said he passed away surrounded by relatives and following lengthy health battles, most recently with pneumonia.

Reaction Score
Can anyone who watched him play give me a modern day player comparison?

Reaction Score
Always thought of him as a heavy dude but he weighed 245. Now days that wouldn't be an exceptionally big guy, solid but not that huge. Great player. Had a great ride. RIP.

He was Barkley-like.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wes was 2 months my junior. Tried to model my rec league game after him.
Never really succeeded.
I asked the friend who txted me the news and he agreed with my impression that he was the first great "undersized" center (6'7"), which probably also ends up meaning best ever, because the Barkley would be the next in height/toughness/rebounding mix and didn't play center.

Does that sound right to you as well, or who am I forgetting?

Reaction Score
One of my coaches on my American Legion team was the head basketball coach at Randolph-Macon in Ashland, Va. Wes came to his summer clinic one year and came to one of our Legion games with the coach. In those days, we drove cars to our games and I happened to ride in the back seat of the coach's car. Wes was in front seat and I had never seen a wider human in my life. His shoulders covered about half of the front seat. We were in awe being in the same car with a NBA star, but he was interested in our athletic accomplishments, where we were going to college, etc. A great night I will never forget. Rest in peace Wes.

Reaction Score
One of my coaches on my American Legion team was the head basketball coach at Randolph-Macon in Ashland, Va. Wes came to his summer clinic one year and came to one of our Legion games with the coach. In those days, we drove cars to our games and I happened to ride in the back seat of the coach's car. Wes was in front seat and I had never seen a wider human in my life. His shoulders covered about half of the front seat. We were in awe being in the same car with a NBA star, but he was interested in our athletic accomplishments, where we were going to college, etc. A great night I will never forget. Rest in peace Wes.

That reminds me. He was occasionally called Wes "the wall" Unseld.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I asked the friend who txted me the news and he agreed with my impression that he was the first great "undersized" center (6'7"), which probably also ends up meaning best ever, because the Barkley would be the next in height/toughness/rebounding mix and didn't play center.

League MVP as a 6-6 center. He always liked to have two targets down court by the time his feet hit the ground coming down with a defensive board. He definitely didnt mind contact, because if it came down to core strength he'd already won the battle before you even knew there was one.

Reaction Score
Wes Unseld, Earl Monroe and Gus Johnson on the Bullets had some great playoff series with the Knicks. Wes was a 6'6" fire hydrant. Amazing how long he stayed with one team during and after his playing days.

Reaction Score
Wes Unseld, Earl Monroe and Gus Johnson on the Bullets had some great playoff series with the Knicks. Wes was a 6'6" fire hydrant. Amazing how long he stayed with one team during and after his playing days.

Phil Chenier underrated player too. Fun team to watch in the day.

Reaction Score

Willis Reed might also be in the mix.

Reaction Score
That's awesome.

Reaction Score

Another undersized center who occasionally played PF at 6'8"-6'9" was Dave Cowens of the Celtics..Never forget the NBA exhibition game at the XL Center(then the Civic Center) in Hartford.. Celtics vs 76ers.. Chocolate Thunder's(Darryl Dawkins) first NBA game.. Cowens is playing C.. DD comes into the game as a sub..Is in the game for no more than 30 seconds.. Ref calls an injury timeout..DD is down on a knee holding his face.. Cowens had broken his nose with an elbow to his head as he was battling him for a rebound..Welcome to the NBA young fella..LOL..Cowens was a tough dude..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only Wes and Wilt won both MVP and ROY awards in the same year. Tough and nails and a great rebounder, but what I remember most about Wes were his outlet passes that were on the mark and made immediately after he had the rebound. No wasted effort, just great timing and awareness. RIP Wes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember Unseld being interviewed after a Finals game the year they won by a younger Brent Musberger. Musberger says, "I saw you hitchin' up your shorts a few times while runnin' up the court! Whaddya, losin' some weight there, big fella?" Unseld doesn't change his game face at all and says, "Big shorts."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom