RIP Ginger | The Boneyard

RIP Ginger

Reaction Score
Time for a little Concert

c369fcd3-6164-4a42-9392-3ec297d22d38_1.460d1e60c1e22a68ad9d1b05abd0231b.jpeg

Reaction Score
One of my favorite bands of all time also. I was listening to Sirius station #26, Classic Rock, yesterday and they played a bunch of Cream songs because he wasn't doing well. Didn't realize he was that sick.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I mean...

Mr. Baker, who by his own count quit heroin 29 times, was candid about his drug and alcohol abuse in his autobiography, “Hellraiser,” published in Britain in 2009.

He recalled driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco while on tour with the band Blind Faith in 1969 and being more amused than surprised when he heard a report on the radio that he had died from a heroin overdose.

Of a later tour, he wrote, “In 1983-84, I formed the Ginger Baker Trio with guitarist John Simms and bassist Ian Macdonald and we did a tour that included Malta, Spain and Germany; but I can’t remember anything about it due to the fact that I was drinking so heavily.”

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Blind Faith is down to 1
GB was a great father figure to so many British drummers
RIP - Presence Of The Lord

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ginger was a great talent Cream was a great band very underrated.
Loved Cream in college, I had never really heard them before. I wonder if they were really done when they broke up or they had more to give. I wish they could have kept going a bit longer.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Loved Cream in college, I had never really heard them before. I wonder if they were really done when they broke up or they had more to give. I wish they could have kept going a bit longer.
Cream and then Blind Faith. Changed my entire perception of music.

Reaction Score
RIP. Listening to Cream in high school really blew my mind. Highly recommend checking out the Ginger Baker Trio if you're into jazz.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Blind Faith is down to 1
GB was a great father figure to so many British drummers
RIP - Presence Of The Lord

Both Clapton and Winwood are still alive.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You're ten posts too late for that joke.
You mean you prefer Dawn Wells. Back to the thread, Cream's version of Spoonful and their song Badge are two of my all time favorites. The documentary on Ginger was interesting.

Reaction Score
I saw Cream, before I really knew who they were, in college at a venue that was basically a converted garage. You sat on a concrete floor. I remember being awestruck by him on the drums. The band was so loud that I was essentially deaf for a few days afterwards.

Reaction Score
I saw Cream, before I really knew who they were, in college at a venue that was basically a converted garage. You sat on a concrete floor. I remember being awestruck by him on the drums. The band was so loud that I was essentially deaf for a few days afterwards.
Dannng I'm jealous

Reaction Score
I almost thought that, then I realized @Cheddie is no longer a young man.:cool:
Yeah, pretty much if you saw Cream on its 1st US tour, you're on Medicare!
As good as Cream were, I thought another Clapton act I saw in college was better. Delaney & Bonnie played in Boston with Clapton, Dave Mason, Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge and the guys that eventually made up Derek's Dominoes. Tremendous concert.

Reaction Score
Lived down the street from me for a while when I first moved to Colorado-he was the difference between a musician and a drummer.

Reaction Score
Heard Cream at the Back Bay Theater in Boston, April 5, 1968. Good friend of mine was an usher there - a highly coveted job. When the curtains opened the stage set had GB in middle, Jack on left,, and Eric on right. What was stunning was the amplifiers/speakers on stage - 4 double stacks of 100 watt Marshall amps on either side of GB!! The typical club scene at the time featured guitarists equipped with perhaps a single 50 watt Fender Super Reverb combo, or Fender Bassman with separate amp / speaker case. Seeing 16 speaker cases on stage was mind blowing! We thought - wow, this is going to be LOUD. The roar that the band produced blew your ears out (house PA systems then were primitive). That pure Marshall sound is never duplicated with today's tonier amps and house PAs for volume.

Although the YouTube recording features 'Sunshine' as the opener, I somehow remember that they played 'Crossroads', in which Eric played 10 verses of solo before the first vocal. Perhaps a different concert.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom