RIP Dean Smith | The Boneyard

RIP Dean Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the best..
Err, Dean. Can I get a title thread edit plz..

CHAPEL HILL – Former University of North Carolina head men’s basketball coach Dean Smith died Saturday evening in Chapel Hill. He was 83 years old.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well now, he is Dead Smith. Just kidding. Didn't know Dean was that old. Great coach.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize his age either.

My handyman shoveled snow like as he usually does like a madman yesterday in Hartford. When he finished he said to his sister that he needed to lay down. He never woke back up and he was 49.

Thing is last week he told me that he shoveled out from the massive snow, and had chest pains afterwards which scared him.

Another friend died frantically shoveling snow 2 years ago, like he had to beat a world record in time. When finished he sat on the sofa and had a heart attack within 10 minutes, dead at age 51.

Not trying to railroad this great coach thread but death is always eerily close by.

Enjoy life, family and friends now!

Reaction Score

My handyman shoveled snow like as he usually does like a madman yesterday in Hartford. When he finished he said to his sister that he needed to lay down. He never woke back up and he was 49.

Thing is last week he told me that he shoveled out from the massive snow, and had chest pains afterwards which scared him.

Another friend died frantically shoveling snow 2 years ago, like he had to beat a world record in time. When finished he sat on the sofa and had a heart attack within 10 minutes, dead at age 51.

Not trying to railroad this great coach thread but death is always eerily close by.

Sorry to hear about your friends kita - life is fragile. These guys would have loved to see 83 as you say.

Reaction Score

51 is way too young. I quit shoveling about 15 years ago. It just isn't worth it. Sorry about your friend.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A sad aside was that he was working with a ghost writer on his memoirs number of years back, but he began experiencing signs of Alzheimers and couldn't remember past events and the project was abandoned. Such a shame that the book never happened because he must've had amazing stories of Jordan, National Championships and the ACC battles. I have the ultimate respect for Coach Smith. He did it the right way, but college basketball was a lot different back then.

Reaction Score
RIP to a basketball legend, I know he gave JC and Geno a lot of coaching advice. He told JC (I am paraphrasing here), to take as much time as you can whether to return or retire from coaching, to not make an emotional decision.

Reaction Score
RIP to a basketball legend, I know he gave JC and Geno a lot of coaching advice. He told JC (I am paraphrasing here), to take as much time as you can whether to return or retire from coaching, to not make an emotional decision.
Still only won 2 JC 3 Ollie half way there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom