RIP, Aunt Jane | The Boneyard

RIP, Aunt Jane

Reaction Score
My Aunt Jane Pratt Morgahan passed away over the weekend at 104. She graduated from Connecticut State College in 1936, a year before it was renamed UConn. She was the manager of the "girls" basketball team and was a huge UConn Women's BB fan. Our family has a clip from a UVA-UConn game (when she was "only" 92) when the camera focused in on her at her courtside seat during a break in the action. The broadcast crew had been tipped off about her and talked about her, her husband Marty (who was president of the Connecticut Golf Association at the time) and her son/my cousin Mike who at that time was working the video for the UVA program and more recently succeeded his father at CGA. Kara Wolters said that she wished she looked so good. I only bring this up because the UConn women's team called her on the occasion of her 104th birthday last month and thanked her for being their number one fan in Ohio. What a class act.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of your loss, and thanks for sharing the anecdote with us.

My father, who turned me on to UConn WBB, turns 94 in a couple of weeks. I hope it'll be ten years before I make a post like this. :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My condolences. She must have been a real lady! And your point about UConn WBB program is so heartening in these sad times! Thanks for sharing something so personal

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Your aunt sounded great! I would have loved to have had a chance to talk with her. What a cool perspective on WBB, and especially UCWBB.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My Aunt Jane Pratt Morgahan passed away over the weekend at 104. She graduated from Connecticut State College in 1936, a year before it was renamed UConn. She was the manager of the "girls" basketball team and was a huge UConn Women's BB fan. Our family has a clip from a UVA-UConn game (when she was "only" 92) when the camera focused in on her at her courtside seat during a break in the action. The broadcast crew had been tipped off about her and talked about her, her husband Marty (who was president of the Connecticut Golf Association at the time) and her son/my cousin Mike who at that time was working the video for the UVA program and more recently succeeded his father at CGA. Kara Wolters said that she wished she looked so good. I only bring this up because the UConn women's team called her on the occasion of her 104th birthday last month and thanked her for being their number one fan in Ohio. What a class act.
What a class woman. I hope one of the very few good things to come out of this blighted year are the great memories you'll have of this incredible woman.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Condolences on your loss. Interestingly, my mother celebrated her 105th birthday, Dec. 9. She has no connection to UConn but that won't stop her from claiming the title of "Matriarch of the Boneyard."

Reaction Score
My deepest sympathy for your loss... for our (UConn family) loss for that matter.

God Bless.

Reaction Score
Your Aunt is one of the prime reasons that the world is a better place. A life well lived and a legacy of remembrance.

Reaction Score
I only bring this up because the UConn women's team called her on the occasion of her 104th birthday last month and thanked her for being their number one fan in Ohio. What a class act.
My condolences to you and your family. Thank you for posting, just another reason why the UConn women are so beloved. They are about so much more than just basketball. Simply classy young women that most often go above and beyond on and off the court.

Reaction Score
I'

I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt. I lived in Litchfield, and knew Jane and Marty at the Litchfield Country Club. She was just a wonderfully warm person. Mike was certainly one of the best golfers ever at LCC, and the the CGA is fortunate to have him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom