Right Now(8:00 Sat. Jan. 16)...Baylor | The Boneyard

Right Now(8:00 Sat. Jan. 16)...Baylor

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
BAYLOR and Iowa State are on ESPN2

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a very average wbb team--almost all offense comes from the perimeter. Unfortunately, at this point, my LadyBears look even less than average--like little more than a Sweet 16 type team, if that.

We're really not surprised--disappointed, but not surprised. We just have very little fire power on offense, and we simply can not or will not defend the lane against dribble penetration all the way to the hoop.

And what we are missing, . . . ain't comin' back this season; ie. what we are missing ain't on our bench.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a very average wbb team--almost all offense comes from the perimeter. Unfortunately, at this point, my LadyBears look even less than average--like little more than a Sweet 16 type team, if that.

We're really not surprised--disappointed, but not surprised. We just have very little fire power on offense, and we simply can not or will not defend the lane against dribble penetration all the way to the hoop.

And what we are missing, . . . ain't comin' back this season; ie. what we are missing ain't on our bench.
I appreciate your candor. Sorry you don't have more to root for this year, although we'd be happy to be your fallback team. What explains Baylor's high ranking up now? Historical excellence?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Not so fast:

1) Baylor hadn't played since January 2nd
2) Two starters out (Carrington and Bickle)
3) Egbo missing most of 4 quarter with foul trouble
4) Roster down to nine
5) AND, Iowa State won last time they played

Don't write that obit just yet ☺️

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We should have had that honor. :mad::mad::mad:
It’s not often you see a top 10 team lose at home to an unranked team. A ranking in the top 12 next week would be a very generous nod for Baylor.

24 games canceled or postponed today. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I spent time on the Baylor site and they have been very realistic all season. I told you guys that Baylor was not anything like the team they were the last few seasons. It seems that other fan sites were still treating Baylor like a top team unlike their own fans who are being realistic. You have to give a fan base a lot of credit when they can do that. As Baylorprof stated they just do not have the personal. Smith had good stats when she was on the court with Brown and Cox but by herself it is another matter. She needs open lanes to be affective offensively and his graduated teammates provided her with the opportunity to take advangtage of her strengths. She requires a strong post player and Egbo is not that. UConn would have easily beaten them.

Reaction Score
Not so fast:

1) Baylor hadn't played since January 2nd
2) Two starters out (Carrington and Bickle)
3) Egbo missing most of 4 quarter with foul trouble
4) Roster down to nine
5) AND, Iowa State won last time they played

Don't write that obit just yet ☺️
Neither Carrington nor Bickle are starters; they are indeed valuable subs.

Reaction Score
Considering this season is anything but a "normal season", I'm just envious of teams that are actually playing some games. The luck...or unlucky of teams able to get games in or not really making for a frustrating season for all, especially for players/coaches and their scheduled opponents.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch Baylor as I was occupied with an NFL game, but I did watch some of a Liberty v N Alabama game. I occasionally look in on games between teams from weak conferences, and as with the Liberty game am often impressed with the level of play. Of course they can't compete with the teams in the better leagues, but still the players are athletic and have skills. It wasn't that long ago that most players on teams from weak leagues were obviously not very good at playing basketball and looked like rec league players. Over the years the level of talent in High School play has enabled the lesser college teams to really improve.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I understand that a couple of staters didnt play for Baylor however Iowa St is not a ranked team and if you look at the Baylor bench they got 15pts from a non starter and a few more points for playes who dont normally start. Baylor this season isnt what they were, they are rebuilding. This season its UConn and Stanford. LVille and NC State. Feb 1 NC State plays LVille That will be a really good game.

Reaction Score
I saw the last 15 minutes of the game. My initial impression was they played like a couple of high school teams. Passing was bad, screening was non existent or ineffective. A ton of forced shots. No energy especially on Baylor's part. Plenty of loose balls no one seemed to want. Iowa State drove a lot with some success in that they easily got by the defenders to the basket but just couldn't finish (but they got bailed out by Baylor fouls). Forced a lot of passes into a low post who had nowhere to go. BUT when they needed it, 11 and 24 came thru in the end.

Didi Richards looked a shadow of her old self. I would say she hasn't recovered fully from her preseason injury.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I didn't watch Baylor as I was occupied with an NFL game, but I did watch some of a Liberty v N Alabama game. I occasionally look in on games between teams from weak conferences, and as with the Liberty game am often impressed with the level of play. Of course they can't compete with the teams in the better leagues, but still the players are athletic and have skills. It wasn't that long ago that most players on teams from weak leagues were obviously not very good at playing basketball and looked like rec league players. Over the years the level of talent in High School play has enabled the lesser college teams to really improve.
I could not agree more, as I have read all the posts on this thread this keeps me thinking more than the rest. The Liberty game flow was so far superior to the Baylor game flow that it was unbelievable. It was obvious that Baylor and Iowa St had superior athletes compared to Liberty & N. Alabama, however that's not always what makes for a good game.
While I enjoyed the Baylor game outcome the Liberty game was much more enjoyable to watch. For the most part watching Baylor play is like watchers shot putters trying to run the hurdles. This would be fine if there were enough finesse players to compliment their beef. I am sure they will win the majority of their remaining games, for me even if the missing players return they are not a fun team to watch

Reaction Score
Baylor played Spanish bullfighter defense and Jones @ 6 ft outdueled their Baylor bigs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom