Right Move, but . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Right Move, but . . .

Reaction Score
UConn's decision to NOT play football in 2020 is, I believe, the correct decision, putting athlete's health first. But, I would have preferred that they were not the first program at tbe D-1 to do so. Watching ESPN this morning was painful (and embarrassing). They were basically saying that UConn's motivation had more to do with the pitiful state of the program and the fact that they couldn't finance their own testing protocols. It was not a good look for the program. Makes it a joke. Wish they had waited for other schools to declare to avoid the ridicule. Having said that, I sincerely hope that attempts by P5 schools to have a season crumble, fall apart and make them an embarrassment to the nation.
This is just the excuse to come back in 2021 as a1-AA program.

Reaction Score
This is good. Was the right move will help ensure a basketball season. Maybe we can play in the spring. But this will help on the recruiting trail and the team should be able to practice hard with no distractions and timetables

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with the initial post. I'm a student currently at the university and I'm proud UConn was the first school to cancel the season. I'll miss the tailgates immensely (weren't happening anyway), but nothing about this upcoming semester is going to be normal. Everyone on twitter can poke their fun, but in the end it was the responsible move and I'd like to think it'll pay dividends in the future, showcasing how the program put's its student athletes and their families first always.

Always better to be first then last - and mark my words other major programs WILL follow suit.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with the initial post. I'm a student currently at the university and I'm proud UConn was the first school to cancel the season. I'll miss the tailgates immensely (weren't happening anyway), but nothing about this upcoming semester is going to be normal. Everyone on twitter can poke their fun, but in the end it was the responsible move and I'd like to think it'll pay dividends in the future, showcasing how the program put's its student athletes and their families first always.

Always better to be first then last - and mark my words other major programs WILL follow suit.

UConn made the right decision, but should have waited to cancel season. It opened the program to ridicule. The media basically portrayed it as if UConn was glad to pull the plug since it had terrible teams, didn't want to commit funds for testing, etc. They made it seem like the Covid virus was just the excuse UConn was looking for to get out of the season. So the right decision, but UConn needed to wait til there were more schools opting out. There is nothing to be gained in the world of college football by being first.

Reaction Score
At least the football program continues its tradition of being the laughing stock of the NCAA
I forgot your name I pray you don’t get Covid. You will be the laughing stock of the boneyard,

Reaction Score
our State (I don't live in Connecticut) is overachieving in the containment of the virus

For any sports media to think 45 other states are gonna play is highly speculative at this moment. They can take potshots. But I cannot expect games this fall in today outbreak virus explosive states. Like the SEC. If they play ... it shows the $ involved & lack of safety concern for the athletes

Reaction Score
I forgot your name I pray you don’t get Covid. You will be the laughing stock of the boneyard,
I got it in April, I am fine. Keep praying for the worst and stay in your basement.

Reaction Score
UConn made the right decision, but should have waited to cancel season. It opened the program to ridicule. The media basically portrayed it as if UConn was glad to pull the plug since it had terrible teams, didn't want to commit funds for testing, etc. They made it seem like the Covid virus was just the excuse UConn was looking for to get out of the season. So the right decision, but UConn needed to wait til there were more schools opting out. There is nothing to be gained in the world of college football by being first.
Consider the source... ESPN. They always trash us.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I could care if UConn football is right or wrong in doing this - it's a decision above all our pay grades.
However, your statement is unneeded and juvenile.
On par with the dolts who say cancelling football is great for basketball.
Cancelling something that so many young men have worked hard many years for is nothing to be happy about or thankful.
Lets just see where this all ends up during second week of November

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I heard the news I avoided the Yard all day. What came to me from non-Yard sources is that the players back the decision. If true, that's all I need to hear. This year's squad will be better and tighter next year. Attrition will be offset by incoming players. This fall will be a cluster. CFB can't get away with treating players the same way MLB does.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Terrible decision. The optics are horrendous. Worse, it’s a decision not based on science.
Not sure I'm following. Which science doesn't it support? The nature of football and it's close quarters contact goes against the science of minimizing the virus. Or does your science say it's OK to lay on and breathe on other people as long as you're a young guy?
We're also talking about going to and receiving teams from other states, some not doing well comparatively. If those states require quarantines for you and me, they are required for football players too.

Reaction Score
UConn's decision to NOT play football in 2020 is, I believe, the correct decision, putting athlete's health first. But, I would have preferred that they were not the first program at tbe D-1 to do so. Watching ESPN this morning was painful (and embarrassing). They were basically saying that UConn's motivation had more to do with the pitiful state of the program and the fact that they couldn't finance their own testing protocols. It was not a good look for the program. Makes it a joke. Wish they had waited for other schools to declare to avoid the ridicule. Having said that, I sincerely hope that attempts by P5 schools to have a season crumble, fall apart and make them an embarrassment to the nation.
They have no conference, so they already lost 4 games. It was really the only move.

Reaction Score
I got it in April, I am fine. Keep praying for the worst and stay in your basement.

I guess that seals it. Everybody jump in and play the COVID Lottery. Had someone throw the basement card at me on Twitter. Must have broke his heart when I told him I was a first responder and a couple of things I've seen. Did you bother to tell those you came in contact with or would that be a sissy move too?

Reaction Score
I guess that seals it. Everybody jump in and play the COVID Lottery. Had someone throw the basement card at me on Twitter. Must have broke his heart when I told him I was a first responder and a couple of things I've seen. Did you bother to tell those you came in contact with or would that be a sissy move too?
I am an endocrinologist at a large hospital in Mass. I got it, I presume, at the hospital.

But please tell me more about science, diseases, and the risks.

No one called anyone a sissy.

Reaction Score

None of that stuff matters. Its a one day story, a blip on the radar. When the Ivy's canceled their conference tournament for basketball they caught some flack, then quickly people said they knew what they were doing. But in the long run nobody cares about any of that.

If some miracle happens and a season with the majority of teams happens with few problems then maybe UConn looks bad for jumping the gun That's about it though.

Reaction Score
Last night chancellor Kumble sends letter at 8:00 that UMass will not let students return to campus except those that need face to face such as labs. Was in line for burritos with the football team today. Conversation was what do you think chances of playing this year? Reply 60%. My thoughts were yeah, right. One said something about N Illinois not playing?

Reaction Score
CTE still exists football is going away in its current form. Just a matter of time. Proud of UConn for leading the way.
You realize the CTE study data was uncovered to be fraudulent... .

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You better start hoping a lot more people have interest in it or it won't exist sooner rather than later
True that. I do not trust our admin. They may simply say downgrade or abolish FB. The Hoops only jerks won’t care, until BB is cancelled too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom