Right Move, but . . . | The Boneyard

Right Move, but . . .

Reaction Score
UConn's decision to NOT play football in 2020 is, I believe, the correct decision, putting athlete's health first. But, I would have preferred that they were not the first program at tbe D-1 to do so. Watching ESPN this morning was painful (and embarrassing). They were basically saying that UConn's motivation had more to do with the pitiful state of the program and the fact that they couldn't finance their own testing protocols. It was not a good look for the program. Makes it a joke. Wish they had waited for other schools to declare to avoid the ridicule. Having said that, I sincerely hope that attempts by P5 schools to have a season crumble, fall apart and make them an embarrassment to the nation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn's decision to NOT play football in 2020 is, I believe, the correct decision, putting athlete's health first. But, I would have preferred that they were not the first program at tbe D-1 to do so. Watching ESPN this morning was painful (and embarrassing). They were basically saying that UConn's motivation had more to do with the pitiful state of the program and the fact that they couldn't finance their own testing protocols. It was not a good look for the program. Makes it a joke. Wish they had waited for other schools to declare to avoid the ridicule. Having said that, I sincerely hope that attempts by P5 schools to have a season crumble, fall apart and make them an embarrassment to the nation.

Here's the good news. No one really watches ESPN.

And in today's blistering news cycle this will be forgotten.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the good news. No one really watches ESPN.

And in today's blistering news cycle this will be forgotten.

This. Remember a month ago when the douchenozzle reporter (I forget his name and am not wasting time googling it) was laying in to UConn for cutting sports and how it was a result of a poorly run football program? And then a week later Stanford lopped off even more sports?

This is how this story will go. UConn will not be the only and certainly won't be the biggest CFB program to shut it down this year. In the moment it's bad PR, but come October this will barely be a footnote.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I don't watch the morning shows, or espn at all. Is anyone saying that this was the right move and holding HCRE up as an example of doing the right thing? Some one should interview Mrs. Van Remark.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This. Remember a month ago when the douchenozzle reporter (I forget his name and am not wasting time googling it) was laying in to UConn for cutting sports and how it was a result of a poorly run football program? And then a week later Stanford lopped off even more sports?

This is how this story will go. UConn will not be the only and certainly won't be the biggest CFB program to shut it down this year. In the moment it's bad PR, but come October this will barely be a footnote.
The douchenozzle you are speaking of is Pat "Slam Piece" Forde.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The question will be on who maintains eligibility an how many scholarships can be given. If nothing changes, this year's RS seniors will be done while everyone else will have effectively redshirted the 2020 season.

Any Senior graduating this year (4th year on scholarship), will have to be invited back to allow for the incoming freshman class.

The NCAA can grant a waiver to allow for extra scholarships for Sr and RSr players who have not exhausted their eligibility and/or they can allow for an extra year of eligibility for those that missed this season who would otherwise have exhausting theirs this season.

The first may happen as that's just money and plenty of schools wouldn't mind keeping extra players around. The second is unlikely unless the entire CFB season gets cancelled. This is actually a very small number of players. The NFL caliber players will leave, the backups will move on with their lives, but those who could be useful to their teams and have grad school or fringe NFL ambitions that would be aided by more playing time would likely look into staying if there teams want them. The NCAA would not want a free for all transfer market of players with a 6th year shopping around, so they may not do anything at all. The machine rolls on, but they would also not deny players their redshirt year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@SubbaBub - to your point. FWIW - I think UConn is very confident that the NCAA will grant all kids a full extra year of eligibility...of course - still needs to happen.

Reaction Score
At least the football program continues its tradition of being the laughing stock of the NCAA

Reaction Score
doesn't the fact that the school won't be offering the sport this year effectively freeze the athletes eligibility? They are attending a school that doesn't offer the sport.

Reaction Score
doesn't the fact that the school won't be offering the sport this year effectively freeze the athletes eligibility? They are attending a school that doesn't offer the sport.

I think the overriding issue is that absent a medical exemption/waiver you only get 5 years to play 4.

Reaction Score
Probably the worst part of all this goes without much fanfare. Hypothetically, and from a fan point of view, any perceived or achieved improvement, is delayed another year. this just allows UConn to remain the punching bag for another year. An improved 2020-21 season could of taken some heat off and inspired the fan base that at least the program is moving in the right direction. It could have been another 2-10 season also, but the opportunity to advance from where we are has gone dark.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
@SubbaBub - to your point. FWIW - I think UConn is very confident that the NCAA will grant all kids a full extra year of eligibility...of course - still needs to happen.

No one played 4 games. Nothing has to change, but for those who already took a redshirt year. Those are the ones that need a 6th year granted. If most of the FBS seasons are cut short or cancelled, I would expect the NCAA to grant a 6th year. If the P5 succeed in playing more than 4 games the odds go down. Play 8, and I suspect they drop to zero. It's a real problem for some players, which UConn eliminated for all but a few of their players. How many 5th year Seniors do we have on the two deep? How many who already took a RS year? Not that many, I would guess. Randy was hoping to RS the incoming Fr class anyway, they aren't really hurt at all.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the overriding issue is that absent a medical exemption/waiver you only get 5 years to play 4.
Sidebar, I've felt for a while now it would be best if the the NCAA just made it 6 years to play 4 giving everyone two years use for medical/transfer issues.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No one played 4 games. Nothing has to change, but for those who already took a redshirt year. Those are the ones that need a 6th year granted. If most of the FBS seasons are cut short or cancelled, I would expect the NCAA to grant a 6th year. If the P5 succeed in playing more than 4 games the odds go down. Play 8, and I suspect they drop to zero. It's a real problem for some players, which UConn eliminated for all but a few of their players. How many 5th year Seniors do we have on the two deep? Not that many, I would guess.

Regardless of status, I just don't think any kids should be compelled to use a valuable redshirt year on a cancelled season. Everyone at UConn should just just be granted a "sixth year" option in my opinion.

I agree - the more actual ball that gets played by the P5 the hairier this gets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Need to watch your six. I'm highly confident if a UConn player wanted to jump ship to another school, the NCAA would make that player eligible immediately since UConn chose to shut it down for a year.

Reaction Score
The media really s**** on our sport teams. This, and a month ago Pat Forde's "takedown" of the athletic department (curious why he didn't go in on Dartmouth or Stanford?)

I want sports as much as anyone else, but we have a pandemic to solve first.

And now this:

It would be highly irresponsible to play sports this fall. Pros can do it in a bubble and frankly, because they are compensated to do so.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Who cancels next:

New Mexico seems like the odds on favorite, then UMass.

Reaction Score
When the Ivy League cancelled the season, that put a ton of pressure on academically minded P5/FBS schools to follow suit. For UConn, the decision was easy as they already had up to 6 games cancelled with probably more about to happen.

During World War 2, some schools played football and some schools shut it down. With COVID, we will probably see the same situation. UConn will not be the only FBS school to not play football this fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom