Riddle me this... | The Boneyard

Riddle me this...

Reaction Score
Should the team play fast or slow? When we play fast our defense suffers greatly and we give up ungodly numbers of breakaways and points. When we play slow, our half court offense suffers though long bucketless droughts and exacerbates our inability to knock down open shots.

Kinda of a Hobson's choice, damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. But there is no middle ground. So which would you choose, a waltz or a jitterbug?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Should the team play fast or slow? When we play fast our defense suffers greatly and we give up ungodly numbers of breakaways and points. When we play slow, our half court offense suffers though long bucketless droughts and exacerbates our inability to knock down open shots.

Kinda of a Hobson's choice, damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. But there is no middle ground. So which would you choose, a waltz or a jitterbug?

at this point, a waltz. But really we are just picking posion. We will die either way. I just think the 1/2 court gives us a better chance to get better defensively. We are too stupid to press and run multiple defensive looks. Like Calhoun said a a few weeks ago, this team needs to simplify. Find one or two things we can actually do and hang our hat on. This jack of all trades crap sucks.

For better or worse our best offense (and I use that term very loosely) is letting Jalen and Terry do what we can, sink or swim, in the 1/2 court. Its going to sink us a lot. But its all we got.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I watched the Oregon game and was very impressed with the defense our guys displayed. They got out on guys and stayed in guys' faces. Based on that, I was optimistic for this season but that effort has disappeared. If nothing else, any team, regardless of talent, can play relentless defense. That's all I want to see from them this season. I have no other expectations from this team.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Whatever gets them to share the ball better is what I vote for.

I'm so tired of one-on-one moves as the only means of creating shots.

I want to see screening off the ball executed so that wing players occasionally find themselves wide open, and for that player to get the ball quick enough to him that he can still do something with it. I want to see hard cuts through the lane when our players post up, with their hands ready to catch a hard pass. I want to see hit-aheads on fast breaks so we can take advantage of numbers. I want to see shooters stepping into shots confidently, or not shooting at all.

These are things I see good teams doing, and we do none of them.

Our offense is so ugly, one look at it made the dog hide under the bed...

Our offense is so anemic, the Red Cross is running a blood drive to save it's life.

Our shooters are so bad, they're being recruited as storm troopers for the next Star Wars movie.

Our strategy is so predictable, the pundits just ask the other coach rather than Ollie to save time.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The team has to focus on defense. Maybe you get some easy buckets from it to help the offense but the plan has to be to make the other team work to get a shot off and then you crash for the defensive board and walk it up. No cheap fouls as the shot clock winds down and every shot has to be contested.

Reaction Score
IMO we play better fast. When we slow it down we tend to take a long 2 inside the arc because our bigs are still getting used to the system and higher level ball. We should play fast, work on our outlet passes, second chance tip-ins, and screening.

When we play good teams like witchita, cinci, smu and Memphis the games should be close and terribly ugly like the Zona game. I’d love for us to blow these teams out but we haven’t proven we can do that yet.

Most importantly we need to close out games. The biggest struggle thus far.

Reaction Score
Defense is UCONN. Calhoun had some pretty crummy offensive schemes with top tier talent. But we all played defense. Eliltely

We don’t block shots like we used to. I agree our defensive game was always solid but has been missing in the last 5 minuets of our games.

On the flip side our offense is missing in the first half of every game.

How’s our conditioning?

Reaction Score
The offense is so putrid that slow would be better. If they can defend enough and limit the possessions of the other teams maybe they can gut out some 64-60 type wins.

Reaction Score
I think we have to play slow. That -at least- keeps games from getting out of hand. And it forces them to pass the ball to each other.

Reaction Score
Defense is UCONN. Calhoun had some pretty crummy offensive schemes with top tier talent. But we all played defense. Eliltely

Most definitely but there are players who need to know that if all 5 aren't doing their part in any of the defensive schemes all defenses break down. Have to have 100% buy in and 110% effort, it's not there right now.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If, by some unexpected miracle Sid Wilson is allowed to play, then press and play fast.
If not, we are in a pickle: halfcourt execution, point guard skills and perimeter shooting are too poor to succeed in a slow-down game, not enough ball-handling depth to press and run.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We can’t play fast. And the press...good god, we’d lose Cobb, Diarra and Anderson to foulouts by halftime.

We’re not good at playing fast and we’re not good at playing slow. But at least playing slow theoretically reduces the number of opportunities the opponent has to score, so we should do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom