Ricky Moore on board | The Boneyard

Ricky Moore on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good to have Ricky back...........he will climb the coaching ladder here I'm sure.......Congrats to Ricky now they will play some defense!! LOL

caw

Reaction Score
So can Freeman, Moore and Ollie suit up on the practice squad? Or is that unfair?

Reaction Score
Moore will work directly with Kevin Freeman, the Director of Basketball Administration, in a non-coaching position.

Can anyone summarize their duties/responsibilities?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Nice; finally...to the general population, the most underrated Husky of the Calhoun era.

U

UCONNfan1

Great news, but question - Ollie is a guard, Moore is a guard, Hobbs was guard. Freeman is on the staff in a non basketball (operations) function, as I guess Moore is at this point. Was Glen Miller a post player? My question is - who is responsible for developing the post players? I just remember back to the days of Clyde Vaughn, although at 6'4", he was a small forward. who at this point is the post coach? Miller?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You don't need a forward to coach a forward - there are three former head coaches on the staff.

I'll wager they might understand how to handle a front court player.

On a less nonsensical note, I'm sure Ricky will ascend to a coaching position next year.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
It gets annoying the assumption that a coach needs to be a 6'8" ex-PF to coach the "bigs." Our supposed best bigs coach was an ex-6'4" PF in Clyde Vaughn and these guys have had years of basketball under their belts and can teach a big how to play.........like a guard, a swing man or any player, it's up to them as to how good they want to be. The coach isn't with them all day and all summer.............

Reaction Score
It gets annoying the assumption that a coach needs to be a 6'8" ex-PF to coach the "bigs." Our supposed best bigs coach was an ex-6'4" PF in Clyde Vaughn and these guys have had years of basketball under their belts and can teach a big how to play.........like a guard, a swing man or any player, it's up to them as to how good they want to be. The coach isn't with them all day and all summer.............

I agree, anyone can coach a front court player if they know the game but we did have good results with him here.

At 6'4", Clyde didn't get by on size, he used actual skills to play the game. He boxed out, got proper positioning on D and played very hard. He provided something to our frontcourt players that has been lacking since he left. That's not to say someone else can't provide it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Moore will work directly with Kevin Freeman, the Director of Basketball Administration, in a non-coaching position.

Can anyone summarize their duties/responsibilities?
Compliance, character, class work in roughly that order

Reaction Score
I agree, anyone can coach a front court player if they know the game but we did have good results with him here.

At 6'4", Clyde didn't get by on size, he used actual skills to play the game. He boxed out, got proper positioning on D and played very hard. He provided something to our frontcourt players that has been lacking since he left. That's not to say someone else can't provide it, but it hasn't happened yet.

No doubt but he also had kids who listened, worked hard on their own when he was not around in order to excel............saw him first play when Pitt came to Colonial Classic (or Ct Mutual?) back in the day at HCC......one tough SOB who played so much bigger than his actual size as you stated.........people need to understand what they need to do to be that way and it doesn't have to come from Clyde.........it's work ethic and playing every play, every second no time off, always looking for a body to shove your a** and body in front of........think KO seems to be stressing hard work on the boards so it will be interesting to see if they improve boxing out.............

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
People we think we need a Clyde Vaughn to be able to get effectiveness out of big dudes.

Reaction Score

Don't forget Howie Dickenman before him. And JC himself.

Reaction Score
Howie was very good too, another guy who's toughness and intensity was a big part of his game.

There's a couple things you cannot coach or teach.......one would be real, natural good footwork or the ability to get there and two would be hands.......if you are having trouble catching the ball or struggle to get a handle, how can you be ready to make a low post move on anyone?

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore is the type of kid (now man) you want associated with your team. It's all good to me. This is going to be a great ride with Ollie and the boys (players/coaches).

Reaction Score
Assuming Ricky still has the speed and lateral quickness to guard, he can suit up and play defense on our new guards and teach them a little humility...if they get out of line. Can't get past Ricky, how would you fair in the NBA? Great teaching asset Uconn now has in their gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom