Rickea | The Boneyard

Rickea

Reaction Score
Rickea is just like a lot of us, she has talent and wants to be the best she can be. However, that is a big burden to carry when everyone is looking at you, the pressure on her must be enormous. IMO, Rickea needs that coach who is firm yet supportive. She had that with Vic and she flourished, NMP tries to turn Rickea into a three point shooter at the expense of her real ability, to drive and shoot turnaround in lane shots. Now Rickea is struggling with her confidence in her ability, we will see just how good a coach Kelly is by the way she handles Rickea, suspension is NOT THE ANSWER, that will only worsen the problem. Good luck, Rickea, you control your destiny so just go do it!

Reaction Score
Rickea is just like a lot of us, she has talent and wants to be the best she can be. However, that is a big burden to carry when everyone is looking at you, the pressure on her must be enormous. IMO, Rickea needs that coach who is firm yet supportive. She had that with Vic and she flourished, NMP tries to turn Rickea into a three point shooter at the expense of her real ability, to drive and shoot turnaround in lane shots. Now Rickea is struggling with her confidence in her ability, we will see just how good a coach Kelly is by the way she handles Rickea, suspension is NOT THE ANSWER, that will only worsen the problem. Good luck, Rickea, you control your destiny so just go do it!
In fairness she was suspended from games or at least part of games by Coach Schaefer, Coach McCray-Penson, Coach Novak and Coach Harper. Those are four very distinct coaching personalities with four distinct coaching styles. I’m not saying she is a terrible person. However she is the common factor in the situation. In my opinion she needs to reflect on that.
Further there are lots of extremely talented players carrying just as difficult or more difficult burdens conducting themselves with significant more grace.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’d give Harper benefit of the doubt, she’s clearly suspending her for a reason and Rickea has a well documented history of getting suspended. IMO, how well Rickea responds to Harper’s actions isn’t a reflection on Harper’s coaching ability as much as it shows how well Rickea can respond to adversity. I hope she works through this and turns it around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"A scorpion asks a frog to carry her over a river. The frog is afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, both would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog then agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both."

At this point the two should just part ways with Rickea preparing for WNBA and Harper concentrating on salvaging the season and making the NCAA tournament which might be the only way she retains her job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It might worsen Rickea's problems, but Kelly may have or may have had a bigger TEAM problem if she did/does not suspend Rickea. Star treatment alone can cause team problems but failure to discipline a star can cause bigger problems.

But then again, it may not be a disciplinary problem just a needed break for Rickea's stress level. I don't claim any insider knowledge - or even fringe of the insider's knowledge.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Basketball has its share of 'problem' players just as every academic interest includes 'problem' students - these are still young adults and unlike most young adults their problems get splashed over the newspapers so we can discuss and dissect.

I know little about Richea, but she has also suffered from a very chaotic college career - four coaches in four years is not the best way to develop even if the current coaching change was her choice. Parachuting into a team as the 'new star' is not the easiest situation - with a relatively new coach and a team that is large and not well established is not an easy situation either.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
No one outside the principles know exactly what has preceded the suspension. How many discussions, advisories, warnings, clarifications, explanations have taken place. I'm sure that most if not all the good advise from this forum has been evaluated and implemented in some degree. I trust Kellie to have Rickea's best interest at heart. But she must balance that with the futures of the other players. If it is true that something about Rickea is hurting the performance of the team and also the performance of other players, I wonder if that could affect the draft position of players like Horston and Key. Kellie is responsible to put them in the best position to succeed not just in this season, but in the future also. I am a fan of KJH and trust her to do the best for all parties.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tough to see speculation that Harper is doing the wrong thing when we have no idea what’s going on. For all we know, it could be an academic problem.
A player having academic issues/problem is not consistent with an indefinite suspension nor is it consistent with the coach getting to decide on the duration of the punishment. This is likely a basketball team contained issue eg. "violation of team rules". Remember when T'ea Cooper started swing on her teammates , the punishment was taken out of Holly's hands and determined by the University.

Reaction Score
Basketball has its share of 'problem' players just as every academic interest includes 'problem' students - these are still young adults and unlike most young adults their problems get splashed over the newspapers so we can discuss and dissect.

I know little about Richea, but she has also suffered from a very chaotic college career - four coaches in four years is not the best way to develop even if the current coaching change was her choice. Parachuting into a team as the 'new star' is not the easiest situation - with a relatively new coach and a team that is large and not well established is not an easy situation either.
Fair, but there are many players who are going through similar situations, every season. Kamara MacDaniel, Lauren Ebo, etc. It's not ideal to go through that many coaches, but its also not unique in her case.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
No one outside the principles know exactly what has preceded the suspension. How many discussions, advisories, warnings, clarifications, explanations have taken place. I'm sure that most if not all the good advise from this forum has been evaluated and implemented in some degree. I trust Kellie to have Rickea's best interest at heart. But she must balance that with the futures of the other players. If it is true that something about Rickea is hurting the performance of the team and also the performance of other players, I wonder if that could affect the draft position of players like Horston and Key. Kellie is responsible to put them in the best position to succeed not just in this season, but in the future also. I am a fan of KJH and trust her to do the best for all parties.
More significant I think it affects Jackson's draft status. Poor body language, "me first" type of behavior and several suspensions are a lot of red flags. Scouts have seen a lot of Horston/Key the past couple years and know what they are getting with those players. Horston is physically as good as anyone in the country but has always struggled with decision making and doesn't have a great jumper. Key has size and physicality but a tendency to disappear in games. This year has shown more of the same for both of them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"A scorpion asks a frog to carry her over a river. The frog is afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, both would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog then agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both."

At this point the two should just part ways with Rickea preparing for WNBA and Harper concentrating on salvaging the season and making the NCAA tournament which might be the only way she retains her job.
You left out the rest:

The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I am sorry, but I couldn't resist the urge. It's in my nature."

Reaction Score
In fairness she was suspended from games or at least part of games by Coach Schaefer, Coach McCray-Penson, Coach Novak and Coach Harper. Those are four very distinct coaching personalities with four distinct coaching styles. I’m not saying she is a terrible person. However she is the common factor in the situation. In my opinion she needs to reflect on that.
Further there are lots of extremely talented players carrying just as difficult or more difficult burdens conducting themselves with significant more grace.
Mil, I just remember Rickea freshman year under Vic. To me it appeared she was happy, the team played together, and MSST had a really good year. Then Vic left and everything turned sour. We were expecting the NMP team to be great, the pieces were all in place but that season turned into a nightmare, many of our starters transferred but Rickea stayed. Then Novak, a coach I really respect, took over and we had problems with Covid, injuries, and a depleted roster. Rickea was our leading scorer but she was not a team player, took many shots she never should have taken and I believe there was friction between Rickea and Anne Hayes. Bottom line she decided to transfer. What I am trying to say is Rickea’s basketball career was challenging and she apparently allowed the stress to get to her. I am hoping Rickea can regain her love of the game and return to her freshman form. That said, I am not a Vol fan but I am a Rickea fan.

Reaction Score
oh girl a new thread for this ? There's already like 3 Tennessee threads here lol.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Her freshman year, in the SEC Tournament, she blew a kiss the crowd after an early score. The Gamecocks proceeded to blow them out in the championship game. I can vouch for the fact that she searches Twitter for mentions of her name. She is very talented, but she needs a no nonsense coach.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Her freshman year, in the SEC Tournament, she blew a kiss the crowd after an early score. The Gamecocks proceeded to blow them out in the championship game. I can vouch for the fact that she searches Twitter for mentions of her name. She is very talented, but she needs a no nonsense coach.
To be fair I think most players search themselves here and there. Only natural to see what people are saying about you.

Reaction Score
I just hope that whatever is going on, I am wishing Rickea all the best and that she understands that her future is in her hands. Like @Jmsdawg said, Rickea controls her destiny.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How is the margin of victory in the SEC championship game in her freshman year even the slightest bit relevant to her current situation?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
oh girl a new thread for this ? There's already like 3 Tennessee threads here lol.
Start a different thread on something else, then

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Teenagers….

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched her play in her high school state championship game and she was very impressive. I thought by now she would be one of the best players in WCBB. I believe she has the talent to be one.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
How is the margin of victory in the SEC championship game in her freshman year even the slightest bit relevant to her current situation?
Because it occurred after she blew a kiss to the crowd. She has a way of getting opponents riled up.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Because it occurred after she blew a kiss to the crowd. She has a way of getting opponents riled up.
And? Still don't see the relevance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If a kid with that much swagger played for South Carolina, you’d love her. Teams need an emotional leader and the leaders will have their own way about them. UConn has had its share.

1670595156512.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom