Rick Pitino talks NIL | The Boneyard

Rick Pitino talks NIL

Reaction Score
After a loss....
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
I thought he got a blank check from some alum. Did it bounce?

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He’s irritated by losing to us. He’s gotta calm down, it’s year one for him. There’s nothing wrong with the NIL / Portal from where I’m standing. We won with a nice balance of kids we actually recruited, the traditional way, and developed. And then we added some kids. Even more traditional team building this year with actual recruits that are developing. And a player like Newton obviously needed, deserved and earned the bigger stage he came to. He’s just mad that he cleaned house thinking it was going to be automatic dominance.

Reaction Score
He’s irritated by losing to us. He’s gotta calm down, it’s year one for him. There’s nothing wrong with the NIL / Portal from where I’m standing. We won with a nice balance of kids we actually recruited, the traditional way, and developed. And then we added some kids. Even more traditional team building this year with actual recruits that are developing. And a player like Newton obviously needed, deserved and earned the bigger stage he came to. He’s just mad that he cleaned house thinking it was going to be automatic dominance.
He preferred it when it wasn’t legal and prostitutes > financial agreements for recruits. St. John’s will be very strapped in this regard.

Reaction Score
The nerve of this guy when he basically forced his entire team into the portal while poaching players from the program he left and from other teams.
This is man complaining after playing a team who was in a 10x worse situation and became the shining beacon of college basketball 5 years later.

Rick always likes things to finish quickly I guess.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
This is man complaining after playing a team who was in a 10x worse situation and became the shining beacon of college basketball 5 years later.

Rick always likes things to finish quickly I guess.
Exactly. We were a mess. Recruiting was dead, injuries everywhere, all the time.

Reaction Score
That's funny when they were advertising the St John's NIL fund the whole game. Which to be clear I have no problem with and UConn should be doing too, no idea if they are

Reaction Score
Pitino should shut up and be happy he had his first MSG sellout of the year! His MSG plan is working! lol

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pitino knows he can pretty much get print space or a rubber stamp out of somebody on the NYPost sports staff for anything he wants, so he puts out 'strategic' communications for any & all purposes.

In other contexts, he'd call such behaviors "cheating."

He's not a trustworthy guy. He's a manipulative provocateur.

If it's something that bothers you, start by asking yourself, "Is this BS?" Chance are good the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not defending the guy but he’s right about one thing. Any rules the NCAA tries to enforce just turns into a lawsuit and they always lose. Seems like every transfer request denied goes to court and they lose. Tennessee and Virginia AGs suing them now over recruiting.

The “culture” argument is nonsense though.

Reaction Score
These are the words of a coach who hasn’t found the right wife of a staff member of his yet and an Italian restaurant to bang her at early in his Johnnie career. He sounds frustrated!:cool:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
St John's has only been successful when they could pay players legally (A "housing stipend"), and others couldn't. Genie's out of bottle, Rick.

Reaction Score
"It's a very difficult time in college basketball, because it's free agency," the first-year St. John's coach said Saturday. "And now I think what's going to happen is, they're going to say everybody can transfer, and then if they don't like it, they're going to take 'em to court.

"So I think the NCAA enforcement staff just should be disbanded. It's a joke. Not because I dislike them. But they're of no value anymore. Because just, Tennessee now will take 'em to court, Virginia will take 'em to court."

Reaction Score
He's not wrong.

This is a very difficult time in college basketball. NIL has caused much turmoil. And I suspect it will for the foreseeable future. The are an insane number of players in the portal. And since it is human nature to believe the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence it's tough to know when it will slow down.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the number one team in the country kept most of it's own players and used the portal sparingly.

Reaction Score
He poached our championship 6th man for godsakes.
Here are all the guys that Pitino plays more than 10 MPG this year
  • Joel Soriano - SJU player
  • Daniss Jenkins - taken from another team
  • Jordan Dingle - taken from another team
  • RJ Luis - taken from another team
  • Chris Ledlum - taken from another team
  • Nahiem Alleyne - taken from another team
  • Glenn Taylor - taken from another team
  • Zuby Ejiofor - taken from another team
  • Brady Dunlap - freshman
And some of the guys he could have had, but ran out of town to make room for the people above -
  • AJ Storr - 16.5 PPG for top 10 Wisconsin
  • David Jones - 21.8 PPG at Memphis who were top 10 at one point (even though they were frauds)
  • Posh Alexander - 11.4 PPG / 5 APG at a team that's above SJU in the BE standings

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Here are all the guys that Pitino plays more than 10 MPG this year
  • Joel Soriano - SJU player
  • Daniss Jenkins - taken from another team
  • Jordan Dingle - taken from another team
  • RJ Luis - taken from another team
  • Chris Ledlum - taken from another team
  • Nahiem Alleyne - taken from another team
  • Glenn Taylor - taken from another team