Richie Springs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Richie Springs

Reaction Score
It was at the Chamber of Commerce talk before the season. Said he's the second best offensive rebounder he's coached behind Tristan Thompson.
Found the article.

Richie Springs
“I think he is going to be great. He was a late add, but I think Richie, in his career, is going to prove to be as valuable as any of the other three freshman that probably came in with a lot more buzz. Richie’s 6-9, just turned 18, he’s still growing. Tristan Thompson is the best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached, he plays for the Cavaliers, Richie Springs would be the second best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached. He’s such a quick jumper, traces the ball real well he’s going to develop a really good skill set. He could end up being 6-11 when it’s all said and done.”

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Cole at point with Bouk and Jackson on the wing. Watch TF out!!
AG at point Cole coming off the bench is certainly possible. For all the grief AG caught, we currently have one of the lowest turnover percentages in the country, we’re only giving up 28% from 3. He’s been great outside of shooting percentage. If he returns we may enter the big east as favorites.

Reaction Score
AG at point Cole coming off the bench is certainly possible. For all the grief AG caught, we currently have one of the lowest turnover percentages in the country, we’re only giving up 28% from 3. He’s been great outside of shooting percentage. If he returns we may enter the big east as favorites.

If Rique doesn’t get hurt, he’s gone. Cole will be an upgrade on offense but a downgrade on defense.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Have some updates on Springs as well as Cole. I'm told Richie is a menace on the boards and him and akok have some of the best motors on the team. They play hard all the time. Richie is incredibly fast which has been good for Josh to try to match that in practice. But he's very raw still and has difficulty finishing over Josh. Cole controls the game in scrimmages really well and has had something like single digit turnovers all year. Matches up well with Gilbert. Will handle the ball more than Gaffney next year for sure. Both guys practicing well basically.
Even if you just made this up, I'm happy to readsomething like this as the final post on the first phone screen. Hope there s more on the next page to corroborate. Thank you.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If Rique doesn’t get hurt, he’s gone. Cole will be an upgrade on offense but a downgrade on defense.
I’ll take you up on a little side bet on that whatever it may be. I think when Rique looks at all his options he opts to return. This is based on nothing other than gut feeling and his relationship with TB.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Found the article.

Richie Springs
“I think he is going to be great. He was a late add, but I think Richie, in his career, is going to prove to be as valuable as any of the other three freshman that probably came in with a lot more buzz. Richie’s 6-9, just turned 18, he’s still growing. Tristan Thompson is the best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached, he plays for the Cavaliers, Richie Springs would be the second best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached. He’s such a quick jumper, traces the ball real well he’s going to develop a really good skill set. He could end up being 6-11 when it’s all said and done.”

I just can't wait to have a beast on the offensive glass. When they are on one of our opponents team it drives me crazy watching the person going back again and again. This will be something fun to watch and can swing momentum in a game; upbeat for the rebounder and disheartening to the defense.

Reaction Score
Even if you just made this up, I'm happy to readsomething like this as the final post on the first phone screen. Hope there s more on the next page to corroborate. Thank you.
Yeah always good to get to the point lol. I don't really know much about recruiting or future prospects, just info that happens with the current team that I've tried to share. Wouldn't fabricate anything. Regardless, I often forget about Springs but it's good to know he's making nice progress, could be very useful next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah always good to get to the point lol. I don't really know much about recruiting or future prospects, just info that happens with the current team that I've tried to share. Wouldn't fabricate anything. Regardless, I often forget about Springs but it's good to know he's making nice progress, could be very useful next year.

Rebounding would appear to be the biggest need for next season. Nice to know we may have an answer.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
downgrade from rique? Not much room for possibility there.
Another dude who's smarter than most d1 coaches in America who would give their left nut to have AG on their squad

Playing in Saturday pick up games at the Y doesn't count as building coaching expertise

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hurley called Springs the best offensive rebounder he had ever scouted. Which in retrospect is interesting because Bouknight, his best friend, training partner, high school and AAU teammate is probably the best offensive rebounding freshman guard I’ve ever seen. Who ever trained/coached them clearly knew how to offensive rebound.
Goes along with my observation of the kid in the game I watched him play in. l
Have some updates on Springs as well as Cole. I'm told Richie is a menace on the boards and him and akok have some of the best motors on the team. They play hard all the time. Richie is incredibly fast which has been good for Josh to try to match that in practice. But he's very raw still and has difficulty finishing over Josh. Cole controls the game in scrimmages really well and has had something like single digit turnovers all year. Matches up well with Gilbert. Will handle the ball more than Gaffney next year for sure. Both guys practicing well basically.
It's difficult to know if play in high school can translate to the college level. This confirms some observations I had watching one of Ritchie's games.

In that game it was obvious Ritchie is an above average rebounder. He has the gift to know the way balls bounce off of backboards and rims. It's something people don't give CV enough credit for. But he does it with a big body and his boxing out will be far superior to CV's as would be expected. What I was equally excited about was his passing ability. He's an above average passer. I believe he was a point guard until late in high school when he had a four or five inch growth spurt. I attribute his rawness to the conversion from pg to a 4/5. As far as finishing against Josh, not many centers are able unless they have great footwork. It will be interesting to see how this comes along as the year goes by and he gets stronger. The bonus is he offers a better opponent for Josh than Whaley in practice. The other plus was his ability to hit the mid range shot but I only saw a small sample. Needless to say Ritchie has a lot of potential. I was bummed he was not available this season. The big to big play between him and Josh would have been fun to watch and a mismatch for many teams. It would/will be a throwback to having Armstrong and Boone on the court at the same time although it would be silly to project them to be at that level.

As an aside it was in this game that I observed Bouknight. Watch that game and you will recognize Bouk is holding back and deferring to others at UConn. He was Kemba - like (although with a completely different style) in that he singlehandedly took control of that game. A bonus is that he and Ritchie have great chemistry with one another.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We don't need a savior, team will be loaded.
Exactly. He has to be salivating with the players he will have to play with. Kid is strong, gets to the foul line a lot and is a great FT shooter. Good 3pt shooter. But it appears his best asset is distributing the ball.

Reaction Score
downgrade from rique? Not much room for possibility there.

On defense, yes. Rique is a solid defender at the very least. Cole needs work on defense.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to a bunch of practices this year. Springs is going to be a great piece for us in 2-3 years but he’s a bit raw. I see him as more of a 4 than a 5. He should be a serviceable backup to Akok next year but his offense needs work.

Reaction Score
Springs is no spring chicken in the classroom

Reaction Score
On defense, yes. Rique is a solid defender at the very least. Cole needs work on defense.
Great fan.

Alterique's defense has been great. Just an awful post.

AG has figured out how to play with pace on offense, he stopped forcing things, he is picking and choosing his moments to attack, and he is shooting with confidence because he isn't rushing. Don't mistake that for him being a good defender. I've seen every minute of every game and when you watch his stance, his lack of awareness in help defense his lack of rotation and how he gets beat off the dribble, its just not good. I'm not trying to be an , that's just a straight critique. Before you all go and respond and tell me how your critique is better and you know so much more than me, Save it. I don't care. I've seen, played and coached plenty of ball. To Jim I will say I have not watched any of Cole, so I merely made mentioned that he if he is worse it would be minimally because AG is not a great defender at all.

Reaction Score
AG has figured out how to play with pace on offense, he stopped forcing things, he is picking and choosing his moments to attack, and he is shooting with confidence because he isn't rushing. Don't mistake that for him being a good defender. I've seen every minute of every game and when you watch his stance, his lack of awareness in help defense his lack of rotation and how he gets beat off the dribble, its just not good. I'm not trying to be an , that's just a straight critique. Before you all go and respond and tell me how your critique is better and you know so much more than me, Save it. I don't care. I've seen, played and coached plenty of ball. To Jim I will say I have not watched any of Cole, so I merely made mentioned that he if he is worse it would be minimally because AG is not a great defender at all.

With that said. He has made moderate improvements in his defensive energy with his increased offensive confidence but they should've been mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score

Hurley feels differently. You're probably right and he's wrong, but still.

Also, you didn't "critique" him, you just said something douchey.

Reaction Score
Hurley feels differently. You're probably right and he's wrong, but still.

Also, you didn't "critique" him, you just said something douchey.

Thanks for your response. I can see you were the kid that was told you weren't good or didn't hustle enough and you went and told your dad that your coach is a . No reason I can't have an opinion that a guy of ours isn't playing good defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom