Richie Springs sticking around | The Boneyard

Richie Springs sticking around

Reaction Score
If plays next year, he either got really good or we are terrible...I'd venture to say it'll be the former.

Yep. We know what were getting with Whaley at the 4/5 , Sanogo at the 5, and Rese at the 4. If he's playing big minutes, it means he's beat out Johnson and Akok for PT at the 4/5.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I find Springs to be exceptionally easy to root for, and I hope to see him on the court during meaningful minutes in meaningful games. I've said it before -- despite the miniscule sample size -- he just has the look of a capable basketball player. Never looks out of place or unsure of himself on the court.

Reaction Score
I wrote this a couple months ago, but I was able to go to a game this season at Gampel against Marquette. It was basically a few people who know someone who knows someone, the families of some of the players and a bunch of cardboard cutouts. In warmups, Springs looked huge, was doing the best dunks and was making jumpshots. This doesn't mean much but it definitely stuck out, especially when his head was at rim height on some dunks.

But I was sitting by a family member of his...maybe his grandmother and she kept waving to him the entire game and trying to get his attention. The background of her phone was also a big pic of Richie in his UConn uniform. It was very cute how she continued to wave at him but Richie barely ever looked up as he tried to focus on the game. It was kind of funny.

Reaction Score
"Akok Akok, perhaps the most talented of the bunch, will be back and ostensibly healthy, 18 months removed from ACL surgery."

Never knew they characterized a ruptured achilles tendon repair as ACL surgery. Oh well. Nonetheless this speaks volumes about Richie Springs' character.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hoping to see more up tempo play next season with the roster we have. Hope Ritchie is ready for action as more frequent substituting would be needed to refresh players. Hoping he becomes one of those high energy players dreaded by opponents when he comes off the bench like Whaley was.

Reaction Score
Hoping to see more up tempo play next season with the roster we have. Hope Ritchie is ready for action as more frequent substituting would be needed to refresh players. Hoping he becomes one of those high energy players dreaded by opponents when he comes off the bench like Whaley was.

This kind of reminds me... I don't really anticipate Richie becoming a star, but we know that Hurley and the staff have been able to develop Whaley from a non-factor into one of our best players. You really can't count anyone out on this team with our skill development programs.

Reaction Score
This kind of reminds me... I don't really anticipate Richie becoming a star, but we know that Hurley and the staff have been able to develop Whaley from a non-factor into one of our best players. You really can't count anyone out on this team with our skill development programs.
Exactly. I file Springs under "wait and see". No definitive expectations w/ him, but he could be a really exciting four-year player.

What gets me excited: a 6'9 225 forward who self identifies as a "3". Could make for some really fun, athletic lineups w/o affecting size.

Bottom line, very excited to have him on the roster even though his role for this year and beyond is nebulous.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
He essentially had 2 redshirt years playing every day with some pretty good players. I expect that had a positive effect on his natural abilities and size, and should provide Hurley with at least 10 minutes a game of big east-level rebounding and defense on his bench.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I file Springs under "wait and see". No definitive expectations w/ him, but he could be a really exciting four six-year player.

What gets me excited: a 6'9 225 forward who self identifies as a "3". Could make for some really fun, athletic lineups w/o affecting size.

Bottom line, very excited to have him on the roster even though his role for this year and beyond is nebulous.
FIFY

Reaction Score
What gets me excited: a 6'9 225 forward who self identifies as a "3".
oh god i hope not. we already have two SFs that are below average shooters for the position.

if springs had said he considers himself a stretch 5 allowing us to maximize our spacing then i'd be excited but he is not the type of shooter we need on the wing e.g. hawk and polley

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
oh god i hope not. we already have two SFs that are below average shooters for the position.

if springs had said he considers himself a stretch 5 allowing us to maximize our spacing then i'd be excited but he is not the type of shooter we need on the wing e.g. hawk and polley

He isn't going to be a 3 unless he wakes up some day with Kevin Durant's skill set. But if he develops skills for the 3, it will make him a better 4/5.

Love seeing this story. I'm rooting hard for Richie have a meaningful impact as a UConn player. You have to appreciate those guys who put in the work and earn it through personal development.

Reaction Score
Mature for his age. There will be opportunities on the horizon due to game situations-foul trouble-matchups-injuries that will allow him to show his value to the Program. He will only get better from practice.

You need kids like Richie on your bench. We all know DH/staff like offensive rebounding.

Hope he gets some PT earlier in the season this year.

Reaction Score
The fact he’s 19 and just picked up a free year of eligibility is very encouraging. Hurley knew what he was doing there, almost a G League move.

Reaction Score
Idk why people are acting like it's unlikely he can develop shooting and/or face up drive game? I'd be more shocked if he was a vertical spacing center.
not sure i follow. if he developed his shooting he would by definition be able to stretch the floor so why would becoming a stretchy 5 be shocking?

i dont think either is "likely" but it's certainly easier for a big man to improve his shooting than it is to improve his ball handling.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom