Richard Springs Commits to UConn | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Commits to UConn

C

Chief00

Not a true answer like Chief's, but my observations of Josh even as a freshman, indicated that his skill level was well above his athleticism. He got stronger, and enhanced that skill level further. He's a throwback player with several Kevin McHale style back to the basket scoring moves. It's a skill set that is almost stone cold dead in modern basketball. He didn't learn that on the playground or from his junior high/HS coach, or his birth nurse. He probably learned it from his dad.

One of the reasons Josh is so effective is that he's using those old school back to the basket moves against guys who don't really know how to defend them because they are used so rarely. Modern bigs are like Akok, they want to face the basket, step out and hit threes.

Exactly.

Reaction Score
not sure if this was already posted somewhere, but with springs UConn went from the 21st to 18th ranked recruiting class on 247
Now that's official, the '19 class is the UConn's 2nd best class of this decade and the highest ranked class since 2016 when they were ranked 8th (Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Diarra, Vital).

Props needed

Reaction Score
it might've even been a jump from 22nd to 18th, i cant remember

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Now that's official, the '19 class is the UConn's 2nd best class of this decade and the highest ranked class since 2016 when they were ranked 8th (Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Diarra, Vital).

Props needed
That class was only 8th? Jeez must've been a great year for some schools.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, several of those players dropped in the ratings during the course of their recruitment. Specifically, I think Durham and Jackson fell a good amount.

Reaction Score

Here is how they ended up on 247, with their highest ever ranking as well:
Gilbert - 32 (highest ranking was 32)
Durham - 50 (17)
Jackson - 77 (27)
Diarra - 126 (118)
Vital - 166 (112, but had also been as high low as 268)

Virginia had the #7 class - De’Andre Hunter, Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome, Jay Huff. That group has worked out OK.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Attachments

• 1565649517845.png
    1565649517845.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 21

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The Grind has created that Dam break.

I applaud the ability to stay on message, but the analogy is muddy at best as this point. The metafore is mixed. Do we need a better dam? A better grind? A grinding dam? A damn grinder??? Can somebody get us a damn grinder! ;)

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Everything depends on foul trouble, but if akok is still here, he'll be on the floor for 28-30min.
Good point. Springs needs to see enough time to have a real impact on the boards. He looks like he could lead the league in rebounding at some point with his size and athleticism. Not sure how it would work, but he needs 15 min. a game.

Reaction Score
One random note from the highlights was him hitting a elbow jumper from the high post. I really feel like we have been mediocre at best against zones and having a big who can make shots from the high post is so crucial to breaking down the defense. Remember playing Jalen there last year? Springs' shot was one play in a highlight tape but I hope it bodes well for the future.

Reaction Score
This kid understands the game. I take back my comparison to Facey. The last big to big passer we had was Daniel Hamilton. In this game Richie looked better than that. He’s the anti Selvie play wise.

He moves to the basket for rebounds the moment the ball is released. More impressive is he has an eye for how the ball comes off the rim.

The Macduffie coach knows how to teach his players. I would have pulled the trigger for this kid on this game alone.

My take is that coach Hurley preferred securing a back up five to Carlton this year and maybe take Richie next year depending on how the chips fell.

UConn fans are going to love Bouknight. He’s exciting and does things that will make opposing coaches lose sleep before playing us.

Richie is a player who will go unnoticed by many fans but will be a major contributor. The one thing that is a question mark is whether this kid can become strong and fast enough to play at this level and if so when.

If the scholarship situation and needs weren’t so critical taking Richie is a no brainer. If we had more depth with the four and five positions Hurley would have the option of red shirting Richie. That likely won’t happen.

I’m not sure the type of conditioning Sal will have Richie do given the likelihood he’s still growing but he has the frame to be big and muscular.

IMO Richie has a very small probability (2%) of being a bust, a 48% chance of being an important role player and a 50% chance of a Hilton trajectory.

This is the type of recruit that could make or destroy the reputation of Hurley. Richie is not without risk. But if he reaches my optimistic potential Dan will look like a genius.

I skipped through and saw him make some nice inside shots while looking very confident. He also seems to have instantaneous recognition of where the ball has to go off the backboard on a missed shot by another player, either on his team or the opposition, and moves to the spot where the ball can be corralled.

It was also good to see him take charge and pull two of his team's players away from what started to look like an ugly confrontation in the last minute and a half. Real leadership.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm liking this guy more and more. The build is different and the game has changed in the last 20 years, but something about him is reminding me more and more of KFree. The nose for the ball, the willingness to bang and to play bigger than he measures/weighs, and from what I've seen of his highlights and such, he has an innate sense of court awareness. He seems to know where everyone is and where the ball is going.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I've felt good about this kid for months. The fact I've seen him display more skill than previously advertised on some highlights is a bonus. One thing I really like is that even if he isn't much of a shooter, the highlights show a kid hitting shots from all over, even from three, and his mechanics are good. Good mechanics will take you a long way if you have self confidence and the green light from your coach. He can be developed into a scoring PF that can open up the middle by stepping out. Combining that with a well advertised nose for the ball gets me excited. This kid has Jim Calhoun type recruit written all over him.

Reaction Score
I'm liking this guy more and more. The build is different and the game has changed in the last 20 years, but something about him is reminding me more and more of KFree. The nose for the ball, the willingness to bang and to play bigger than he measures/weighs, and from what I've seen of his highlights and such, he has an innate sense of court awareness. He seems to know where everyone is and where the ball is going.

I like Springs, and given our lack of production inside, I think he's a nice fit to round out an excellent class. He can help us this year and beyond. I'm excited. I hope we temper expectations just a bit, though. Kevin Freeman was a top-35 recruit, although I know rankings weren't as prevalent back then. Freeman is a guy whose toughness makes people lose sight of just how talented he was.

Shock the World

Reaction Score
And more importantly #chiefcertified

pj

Reaction Score
I like Springs, and given our lack of production inside, I think he's a nice fit to round out an excellent class. He can help us this year and beyond. I'm excited. I hope we temper expectations just a bit, though. Kevin Freeman was a top-35 recruit, although I know rankings weren't as prevalent back then. Freeman is a guy whose toughness makes people lose sight of just how talented he was.

Shock the World

Kevin Freeman was great thanks to his versatility and character, but he was undersized at the four and not quite competitive at the wing spots. Springs isn't as versatile or skilled as Freeman was, but he's four inches taller and may be just as good a power forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom