Richard Springs Commits to UConn | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
One thing I’ve noticed that hasn’t quite been mentioned is how quick he moves his feet. He has a very quick step for his size. Not a lot of guys in the 6’10 height range can move laterally so quick like that.

Great work by the staff at reeling him in before he blew up. Now he’s all ours to work with and watch grow.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
One thing I’ve noticed that hasn’t quite been mentioned is how quick he moves his feet. He has a very quick step for his size. Not a lot of guys in the 6’10 height range can move laterally so quick like that.

Great work by the staff at reeling him in before he blew up. Now he’s all ours to work with and watch grow.
First, I like that he scores through contact. Second, the kid is already a wide body. Imagine what he'll look like after a year or two training with Sal.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Kevin Freeman was great thanks to his versatility and character, but he was undersized at the four and not quite competitive at the wing spots. Springs isn't as versatile or skilled as Freeman was, but he's four inches taller and may be just as good a power forward.
Tough to compare over two decades but Chief thinks Springs may turn out more skilled than than KFree. KFree has the better vertical leap. Right now KFree has the stronger body but Springs has more length and he has a frame that could support putting on muscle. Springs has a better shooting touch but still needs some work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I applaud the ability to stay on message, but the analogy is muddy at best as this point. The metafore is mixed. Do we need a better dam? A better grind? A grinding dam? A damn grinder??? Can somebody get us a damn grinder! ;)
a997603d38fa47897c7896ad67ef5ccf--hair-icon-bonnie-tyler.jpg

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I believe Springs will surprise many who think he is just a project with 5 fouls a game to give Carlton a rest.
I think by seasons end he will be a fan favorite and significant piece of the team going forward.

pj

Reaction Score
Tough to compare over two decades but Chief thinks Springs may turn out more skilled than than KFree. KFree has the better vertical leap. Right now KFree has the stronger body but Springs has more length and he has a frame that could support putting on muscle. Springs has a better shooting touch but still needs some work.

You are probably right and I hope you are. The highlight films are impressive. A lot for the coaches to work with there, and apparently an eager student.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe Springs will surprise many who think he is just a project with 5 fouls a game to give Carlton a rest.
I think by seasons end he will be a fan favorite and significant piece of the team going forward.
This may be what Springs brings to the table his freshman year and that is fine. It takes awhile for bigs to develop and he will be playing against older and more mature players early on. As he gets stronger and gets coached up we could see an outstanding player latter in his career. Springs was important Hurley signing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When you put the names back-to-back like that, it emphasizes the level of player Hurley is roughly targeting. And I love the standard he's setting. We're going to be good.
Each recruitment has a nice story. Makes the misses recede in memory.

Reaction Score
I would sign up for KFree for him today but I already saw him in a highlight do something that big men often have a problem with, that is a rebound put back without bringing the ball down to his waist. It’s not a small detail. The kid has some touch and a nice frame to build on and he’s 6’9”? Get in there with Sal!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Let's slow your roll, Chief. Freeman was like the 30th best recruit in the country and was a starter on the greatest AAU team in the history of basketball.
... and an incredible harder worker. Freeman was absolutely 'the garbage man' boxing out, getting rebounds and put backs. I think that is the comparison Chief is making. If Springs has half his heart and toughness, he'll be a fan favorite for sure.

C

Chief00

Let's slow your roll, Chief. Freeman was like the 30th best recruit in the country and was a starter on the greatest AAU team in the history of basketball.
Granted - but that make NBA ready move KFree’s senior year was a disaster. He was an undersized power forward and a good tough one, but he did not have the shooting, dribbling and passing skills to play the wing.

Reaction Score
Freeman was also a superior defender out beyond the arc. I remember one game against Seton Hall when they had one of the better 3-point shooters in the conference. Calhoun put Kevin on him and he proceeded to destroy that kid’s spirit. Lockdown mode. Not sure if Spring’a defense is at that level.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It will come down to desire and willingness to sacrifice as to whether he ends up as important to the program and as loved by the fan base as KFree in his day.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Granted - but that make NBA ready move KFree’s senior year was a disaster. He was an undersized power forward and a good tough one, but he did not have the shooting, dribbling and passing skills to play the wing.
It backfired tremendously, by putting his shortcomings on display, instead of his strengths.

C

Chief00

Unfortunately, Chief had a conflict, but Chief promises he will be there next game.

C

Chief00

The double (Jake,Kevin) on Brand's touch was huge. He struggled enormously - and disrupted Duke's offense. A big factor in the 99' championship. Just my opinion.
Chief agrees - the double Bigs on Elton worked well and let’s not forget Wane and Saunders - and Rickie and Rash poking a hand in there too. Love the double screens Rip would curl off of. Lots of celebrating that night back at the clubs and hotel - basically zero sleep.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
The team is getting better, but we need all the big men we can get! I also think he will show some nice flashes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom