Rich: Lots more on SNY's intentions | The Boneyard

Rich: Lots more on SNY's intentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Steve Raab is certainly making the effort to be available to local media and is saying all of the right things.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
From what Steve Raab has said to Rich and Jim Fuller, this could be a big win for all the UCWBB fans. A real pre-game show and post game show, along with some form of Geno show, AND an alumni/history package interspersed with pre-season and post-season recaps. WOW.

I also like the fact he is saying that any game not tied up in the National (ESPN, CBS packages) they are expecting to air on SNY.

I know it is early days, but this could be the start of a beautiful experience...

Maybe we could start a thread and let him know what is important to all of us here on the 'Yard. He sounds like someone who would listen!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm not interested in dancing on the grave of CPTV, but an actual post-game show that consisted of more than 20 minutes of pledge driving followed by a two minute interview would be a nice change of pace.

Reaction Score
After the initial reaction of CPTV being kicked to the curb by the new administration, I started to think about the real benefits that this package could bring to UCONN. Reading what Steve Rabb had to say in the interview about this makes me feel that this was simply the next step in bringing the program even more exposure that other conference programs and even other nationally recognized programs don't get. Women's basketball will probably never rival men's coverage but at one time they didn't get any coverage. CPTV helped to make a great program's package an asset worth acquiring showing that there were viewers out there who would support that individual product. I don't feel that CPTV is going to go under because they lost the contract. They have lots of loyal supporters who will still be members even though the huskies are not one of their programs (like me! ) I won't miss the constant pleas for help during the games! Obviously the production costs of bringing these programs to viewers is very high and not in their budget. It will be interesting to see how much better exposure can be provided in this larger broadcast area and thru streaming for UCONN fans in other states thru this contract. This should be a very positive development for UCONN as a whole and WBB in particular.

Reaction Score
It appears UCONN put together an awesome RFP, dictating their requirements to SNY. I just realized that Geno's show will be going national. The other top coaches have national shows on Fox Sports and SNY.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One other thing to realize with SNY - they need to fill 168 hrs of airtime every week. They have bought this package from Uconn that includes specifically the rights to the games and the Geno show. They do not have to pay extra rights fees for any other programming on the women's team that they create - they pay the production costs, but the rights fee is already in place. Only makes sense if they can build the audience to continue adding as much additional programming as the market will bear.
So ... if we watch it, they will create it!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I totally want to try out for on-air talent. How do I do that? And no, I have no experience. But I do have a complete home team bias and a degree in journalism from Mizzou.

Reaction Score
Steven Raab quote from Rich article:
"...As we enter into this relationship the UConn women’s basketball program has the best local TV package in the country, bar none. Because we’ve studied them. Tennessee’s package. Stanford’s package. Baylor’s package. Notre Dame’s package. I don’t care who you pick. The University of Connecticut has the best package in the country. And if we do our job and we maintain that leadership position with the University of Connecticut then everything else takes care of itself.’’

I think the complete TV coverage did much to attract fans to the program and it looks like that will continue or even improve.

One of my pet peeves, particularly with the ESPN coverage is the 2 hour window allocated for games. When the first game of a back-to-back game goes overtime, the beginning of the second game is usually joined after the game has already started, and if overtime is involved, fuggeddaboutit. This problem never happened with CPTV and I hope SNY has a solution, because all too frequently, 2 hours is not enough time. Perhaps the post and pre game programming can solve this to some extent, but I'd like to see some consistent solution to the problem.

I noticed that last night this happened in the NBA playoff game, but another channel was used to pick up the end of the first game (To the consternation of Big Bang Theory fans). Don't know if SNY can do this.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I totally want to try out for on-air talent. How do I do that? And no, I have no experience. But I do have a complete home team bias and a degree in journalism from Mizzou.
Probably have to be willing to move up here for the coldest months of the year. :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Probably have to be willing to move up here for the coldest months of the year. :)
Naw. They can just fly me up there and back. I will even go coach if I have to.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I wonder if Stacey Dales is dusting off her resume?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You know, people who've sat next to me during games know I can provide colorful commentary (I'm sure Kib will vouch for me!). Don't they need a third chair?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The old order passeth and giveth place to the new.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For all those whining about not having access to SNY:

Q: Will you provide live streaming of the games?
A: “We expect to do it,’’ Raab said. “We think it’s a great complement to the TV package. I think one of the benefits we have is that SNY.TV, which is our digital business, our partner on the site is MLB Advanced Media (MLB.com). So they’re our technical infrastructure for the site and they are, I was going to say in this country but really in the world when it comes to live event streaming. They’ve created the book and they lead the world. They stream all the games in March Madness for the NCAA tournament. They stream thousands of baseball games every year. They’re the on-line operator behind streaming the Glenn Beck Show.

Like I've said, it will all work itself out.

Reaction Score
For all those whining about not having access to SNY:

Like I've said, it will all work itself out.
Finally, the magic words........streaming will be available. This was my only concern once the deal was announced. Can't wait for the season to start. Go UConn!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe you can do color and I can get hired for PxP.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if the board had a streaming audio capability and knowledgable posters like Icebear and others could be given the opportunity to call games as they see them on TV and we could listen in? That would be a blast.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if the board had a streaming audio capability and knowledgable posters like Icebear and others could be given the opportunity to call games as they see them on TV and we could listen in? That would be a blast.
I have a hard enough time reading some of their posts - no way I want to listen to them for two hours straight!!!:eek:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I had some concerns that SNY would pass on the Caribbean games next November.....sounds like they fully intend to
broadcast them....yes!

Reaction Score
Now that's someone who just rubbed me the wrong way.
Actually, she always did a good job as a color commentator and halftime announcer. Except she never would Diana her props when questioned about the top players in the game. couldn't get over fouling out in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom