Rich: Huskies looking for a few good women | The Boneyard

Rich: Huskies looking for a few good women

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“I don’t know (how many),’’ Auriemma said. “Realistically, how many more than nine are going to play? Would you rather have nine, or …? The only difference is you can’t keep from blowing people out. So it’s going to suck when people say, `Put your subs in.’ Well, our subs are in. They’re pretty good.’’

LINK

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
“I don’t know (how many),’’ Auriemma said. “Realistically, how many more than nine are going to play? Would you rather have nine, or …? The only difference is you can’t keep from blowing people out. So it’s going to suck when people say, `Put your subs in.’ Well, our subs are in. They’re pretty good.’’

LINK

I love that line from GA!!!

And true.

Just thinking for a moment that 2nd 5 "could" be

Chong
Banks
Stokes
Tuck
(1 of the original starters).....

yeah, i think its safe to say that group will be pretty good....

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Isn't there a famous story where we were blowing someone out and a heckler from the audience kept chanting, "put in the subs, put in the subs". Geno usually manages to ignore the audience, but this was too much; he turned and explained, "These are the subs".

A brief pause.

"Put in the starters, put in the starters"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

LINK
Similar to a few years ago when UCONN was blowing someone out, they fans were yelling at Geno to "Put your subs in". He yelled back, "those are the subs". The fans replied, "Put your starters back in."

Ah Phil beat me.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Similar to a few years ago when UCONN was blowing someone out, they fans were yelling at Geno to "Put your subs in". He yelled back, "those are the subs". The fans replied, "Put your starters back in."

Ah Phil beat me.

Great minds and all that... :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Didn't the Boneyard rave over the fact that the 1999-2000 team could field two ranked teams?

Sue Bird
Svet Abrosimova
Shea Ralph
Swin Cash
Tamika Williams

Keirsten Walters
Kennitra Johnson
Asjha Jones
Stacey Hansmeyer
Kelly Schumacher

Reserves
Paige Sauer
Christine Rigby
Marci Czel

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Isn't there a famous story where we were blowing someone out and a heckler from the audience kept chanting, "put in the subs, put in the subs". Geno usually manages to ignore the audience, but this was too much; he turned and explained, "These are the subs".

A brief pause.

"Put in the starters, put in the starters"
Wasn't the comment actually made by Harry Perretta to Geno?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think it was the 2001 team, that the coach of Holy Cross, Bill Gibbons, said "we're going down to Storrs to play the two best teams in the country".
Ah, yes, after the addition of Taurasi and Conlon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When the last person off the bench averaged about 35 ppg, scoring should not suffer too much. :)

Reaction Score
Geno's avoiding the real problem, and that, of course, is injuries. He screwed up this year (third time, by my count) and only landed one player. He said he'd never do that again, but he did.

I sure hope nobody has any soreness or the flu, or any other disabilities the whole season, but Geno has been caught gambling once more. I hope our walk-on is going to actually walk on.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm not really that good in BB, but I'm a whiz at hitting the high-5s, which with the departure of slapmesiter Heather Buck is what UConn really needs. Not the right gender, age, or a UConn student and I used up my sports eligibility back in the 1970s, but if ever there is an opening for somebody to paint their face blue and white like Danny K and just pump out enthusiasm, there's a volunteer for number 10 on the bench. And like most BYers, I have a perfect record at decision-making on the day after the game.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Geno's avoiding the real problem, and that, of course, is injuries. He screwed up this year (third time, by my count) and only landed one player. He said he'd never do that again, but he did.

I sure hope nobody has any soreness or the flu, or any other disabilities the whole season, but Geno has been caught gambling once more. I hope our walk-on is going to actually walk on.

I don't necessarily think he "screwed up", I just think he went out for players and they didn't commit. DeShields and McCall are the first two that come to mind. I just think they chose to go elsewhere.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Who do you suggest he sign?

Reaction Score
Geno prefers to go for the "high risk, high return" recruits. That is, he targets the top talents in the class because he knows you need a couple of these to compete for championships. But being top talents, they're heavily recruited and the odds of landing them are lower than other recruits...even if you're Geno.

If you aim exclusively for these, you can get monster recruiting classes like 2012, with no role players among them. Or you can get one-person classes like 2009 and 2013.

So "gambling" is not all that far off, really; the gambling aspect comes into play because the net wasn't wide enough to include some lesser talents that would be more likely to commit. By the time the top talents have committed elsewhere, most of the next tier of talents have also committed elsewhere because Geno didn't recruit them in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom