Rich Elliot on Doty homecoming, Stokes & Baylor series | The Boneyard

Rich Elliot on Doty homecoming, Stokes & Baylor series

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Wow....on Stokes:
“She’s frustrating,’’ Auriemma said. “She’s frustrating. She’s frustrating. She’s just frustrating. That’s the only thing I can tell you. She’s just frustrating. Because she’s really, really good, but I’m trying to instill in her what it takes to play at this level. And I don’t want to reward mediocre and even less kind of an effort or doing what I did in high school. `This is what I did in high school, Coach, and it worked.’ Well, it doesn’t work here. And you’re too good, you’re too talented and you have too much potential. And we’re going to find out how bad you want this. And I think she does."

Reaction Score
Wow....on Stokes:
“She’s frustrating,’’ Auriemma said. “She’s frustrating. She’s frustrating. She’s just frustrating. That’s the only thing I can tell you. She’s just frustrating. Because she’s really, really good, but I’m trying to instill in her what it takes to play at this level. And I don’t want to reward mediocre and even less kind of an effort or doing what I did in high school. `This is what I did in high school, Coach, and it worked.’ Well, it doesn’t work here. And you’re too good, you’re too talented and you have too much potential. And we’re going to find out how bad you want this. And I think she does."
Hope Kiah can handle this and gets her act together. Hope the pressure doesn't cause her to make a bad decision.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Well, the quote shows that while Geno is "frustrated, frustrated, frustrated" by Kiah, he is still optimistic about her potential. She's only a freshman. We've seen others grow from coaching frustration during the freshman year to stardom. We just have to hope that Kiah turns the corner, and that her desire to be an outstanding player eventually kicks in.

Reaction Score
Geno had to play Steph as a frosh, he can bring Kiah along at a different pace. This will only benefit Kiah and the team. If she really, really wants it he can help her become a great player.

Reaction Score
The wording Rich Elliot's first paragraph.... Caroline playing the last game of her career at Villanova.... made me grimace even though I knew it not to be true.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It could be true. If Caroline returns next year UConn probably plays Villanova at home...hence this year's game would be Caroline's last game AT Villanova

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yesterday was also an easy game for GA to keep Stokes out, although it seems maybe she wouldn't have played in any event. We weren't as successful when SD was in the game in defending that team then when we had 5 guards on the floor.

Speaking of playing time, does it seem like Lauren isn't buried deep on the bench? While she isn't getting much time, it seems like lately she gets in for a few minutes in the first half occasionally.

Reaction Score
I think Kiah is talented and love to watch her in games. I hope she understands that this is why she chose UCONN. We are all behind you Kiah!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
It could be true. If Caroline returns next year UConn probably plays Villanova at home...hence this year's game would be Caroline's last game AT Villanova

Yeah, I think it is correct, but it could have been worded better.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i really really like Kiah's game a lot. she does have a ton of upside and i can see why most of the intelligent ranking services had her in the top 10. she has an incredible WCBB body, is strong, especially for a 6'3"+ freshman, moves very well and is very athletic, but clearly has issues with effort that Geno won't accept. having Stef, Kiah, Bree and Morgan for 2 years together helps explain why Geno is not clamoring for a big 5 from 2013. i don't know when the light will come on for Kiah, but when it does, watch out.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It takes 100% effort all the time, not some of the time, not when you feel like, all the time. Especially when your tired and dont want to. When the effort, time and practice all come together she will be great. You take Kiahs good moments on the court and think if she did it all the time how good she will be. Geno will get her going.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Kiah should have a little chat with Ms. Tina Charles. Geno only expresses and expends this much energy and frustration when he knows the upside of the project is so very high! Kiah is a great deal like Tina was as a freshman...a gifted and physical phenom, smart and with an incredibly sweet personality. Kiah is oozing potential and blessed to have the greatest mentor she could ever hope for. It will all work out if/when she commits to reaching her highest potential. Gotta remember, freshman are only 18 years old and the maturation process is happening on many levels (athlete, student, woman, friend, daughter, etc.). Geno is just accelerating a few of the processes. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah should have a little chat with Ms. Tina Charles. Geno only expresses and expends this much energy and frustration when he knows the upside of the project is so very high! Kiah is a great deal like Tina was as a freshman...a gifted and physical phenom, smart and with an incredibly sweet personality. Kiah is oozing potential and blessed to have the greatest mentor she could ever hope for. It will all work out if/when she commits to reaching her highest potential. Gotta remember, freshman are only 18 years old and the maturation process is happening on many levels (athlete, student, woman, friend, daughter, etc.). Geno is just accelerating a few of the processes. :)
Yep, Tina got regular criticism and an occasional benching.

Kiah has lots of upside and, like Tina, is a great kid.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yep, Tina got regular criticism and an occasional benching.

Kiah has lots of upside and, like Tina, is a great kid.
In her sophomore year, Geno wasn't starting Tina in the NCAA tourney. Lorin Dixon was also on the bench and Geno was very public about the fact she wasn't going to play without an attitude adjustment.

Geno is being clear that she's shown why they wanted her to come to UConn in the first place, but also has to learn the UConn way of doing things. One thing is certain- if you're not doing it Geno's way, every game, every practice, he won't play you. Rooting hard for her. She's a great kid and the son of a pro (which I think will help her get through this- dad will help her understand why Coach is telling her some of the things he's been telling her).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She's a great kid and the son of a pro (which I think will help her get through this- dad will help her understand why Coach is telling her some of the things he's been telling her).

The role of parents is very important and played a big role in Tina's development. Here's a quote from Chris Dailey about Tina's mom and her support for what the coaching staff was saying to Tina:

"I can't say enough about Tina's mother (Angela Holgate)," Dailey said. "She said to us all the time, 'What can I say to Tina that reinforces what you're already telling her?"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who was the post player from Colorado who eventually transferred to Vanderbilt? Sherwood? Was her departure a matter of effort? Surely no player chooses UCONN thinking that it is going to be easy. I watched her play in high school and I was quite surprised when UCONN offered a scholarship. I always thought she was overrated...not a very good mover and not it very good physical condition.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This quote is interesting. The previous talk made it sound as if UCONN had absolutely said that they wanted to continue but that Mulkey was putting the brakes on the renewal of the series. This certainly doesn't sound as if UCONN had already made a decision on continuing the series.

“When we left there (last month), there was discussion about `Do you guys want to do this again?’’’ Auriemma said. “I remember saying to (Senior Associate Director of Athletics) Neil (Eskin), `These are the kind of games you want to play in. And these are the kind of games TV wants to put on television. So what’s the downside?’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom