Rhyne Howard, Aliyah Boston top AP preseason All-America women's basketball team | The Boneyard

Rhyne Howard, Aliyah Boston top AP preseason All-America women's basketball team

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Associated Press - Nov 12, 2020

Rhyne Howard is rewriting the record books at Kentucky and she is only a junior. Now the Wildcats star is the first player from the school to be honored as a preseason All-American by The Associated Press. Howard was a unanimous choice by the 30-member national media panel on the team released Thursday.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Christyn will make a push for 1st team. Olivia and Paige for 2nd team. Anna for HM. A lot will depend on Evina's knees and how they hold up for playing time. But those are just guesses on my part. I really look forward to the surprises, because you know there will be some!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cannot believe Christyn is not in.
Boston is good but with averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds, is just good not great.

Reaction Score
Cannot believe Christyn is not in.
Boston is good but with averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds, is just good not great.
Boston was one of the best players in the nation last year regardless of stats.

Christyn did not play to her full potential last year because of the hype from her freshman season. She couldn’t stop thinking about it and just play. Despite her not playing her best, she still had a good year and that says a lot about what she can do.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Boston, who averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds last season, spent a lot of her time during the pandemic working on her shot.

"I was skeptical at the beginning, but we got here and she's been making them ever since,'' South Carolina coach Dawn Staley said. "Aliyah's a great player. I can say that I can see it every day. You see great players get better and how they did it. It's unbelievable to me. Unbelievable how much better she's gotten.'' Boston also added that she's gotten more aggressive over the summer as well.

If UConn is to advance in the tournament, they must find a way to control/contain the Aaliyah Bostons of the league.

Reaction Score
CW has a chance to push for 1st team All-American, and ONO has a chance to push for 2nd team. There isn't a lot of great Centers anymore, after the amount of great bigs that graduated in 2019.

Boston is the premier Center, and her stats were better than ONO's. While also playing in a tougher league, with a tough OOC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
CW has a chance to push for 1st team All-American, and ONO has a chance to push for 2nd team. There isn't a lot of great Centers anymore, after the amount of great bigs that graduated in 2019.

Boston is the premier Center, and her stats were better than ONO's. While also playing in a tougher league, with a tough OOC.

Out of returning posts, I think Cunane is the clear favorite for 2nd team based on last year with ONO/Collier/Egbo as the next tier below, maybe Cate Reese too. We could also see multiple centers on any of 1st/2nd/3rd team.

Reaction Score
Boston, who averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds last season, spent a lot of her time during the pandemic working on her shot.

"I was skeptical at the beginning, but we got here and she's been making them ever since,'' South Carolina coach Dawn Staley said. "Aliyah's a great player. I can say that I can see it every day. You see great players get better and how they did it. It's unbelievable to me. Unbelievable how much better she's gotten.'' Boston also added that she's gotten more aggressive over the summer as well.

If UConn is to advance in the tournament, they must find a way to control/contain the Aaliyah Bostons of the league.

Fortunately, there are not very many Boston’s in the league and Liv is a year older and a year better than last time, plus she now has some help!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Had Boston came to UConn ONO would’ve been on the bench last year. And South Carolina would’ve not been the same team. I’m just saying.
Not a surprising list, but I think the end-of-season list will be different.

Last year, Megan wasn't on the pre-season list, but made the actual list.
I think Lee should be on there. I don't remember what team she is on but she was really good last season, one of the best posts I saw.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Had Boston came to UConn ONO would’ve been on the bench last year. And South Carolina would’ve not been the same team. I’m just saying.

I'll play along.

Had ONO come to SC like a lot of people thought she would it's entirely possible that Boston would be at UConn.

Just a hypothetical. I prefer the way it turned out though.

Reaction Score
I think Lee should be on there. I don't remember what team she is on but she was really good last season, one of the best posts I saw.
I’m not sure I follow? I can’t think of anyone with the name Lee? Is it the first or last name?

I personally think NaLyssa Smith should be on it over maybe Onyenwere. I’m not sure why she’s not making these lists.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I follow? I can’t think of anyone with the name Lee? Is it the first or last name?

I personally think NaLyssa Smith should be on it over maybe Onyenwere. I’m not sure why she’s not making these lists.
Disagree. Onyenwere's game is so fun and electric. Her stats are better than Smith's, and she plays the same position at 6-0. She can shoot from 3, has a quick first step that leads to blow bys or spinning jumpers, and has a ton of moves in the paint.

Nalyssa Smith should definitely be in the top 10 best players in country convo, but I dont think top 5. She'll have her chance to prove it this season, now that Cox, Cooper, and Richards (injury, hope she can play this season) are not going to be on the floor with her. Onyenwere, Howard, Evans, and McDonald all led their teams last year without another All-American caliber player on their teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's likely Ayoka Lee of Kansas State. She is a terrific true big among the Nations leaders in Rebounding as a Freshman.

Reaction Score

As good as I think Boston can become it needs to be remembered that Charles was thought to be pretty good and yet she struggled in UConn's system for 2 years. And Boston's minutes were limited last season, due in part to a lack of conditioning and in part due to foul trouble.
And remember that Williams had a great freshman year and was tabbed as a preseason AA last year.

Reaction Score
As good as I think Boston can become it needs to be remembered that Charles was thought to be pretty good and yet she struggled in UConn's system for 2 years. And Boston's minutes were limited last season, due in part to a lack of conditioning and in part due to foul trouble.
And remember that Williams had a great freshman year and was tabbed as a preseason AA last year.

She didn't struggle.

Honorable Mention A/A as a frosh.
3rd team A/A as a soph.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She didn't struggle.

Honorable Mention A/A as a frosh.
3rd team A/A as a soph.
She did struggle by every conceivable measure including her own.

“Offensively it wasn’t flowing right, and defensively, I’ve always struggled defensively but I’ve depended on my offense so it kind of balances out,” Williams said. “But really nothing was going right, and I wasn’t mature enough yet to just take it one game at a time.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom