Rhyne Howard, Aliyah Boston top AP preseason All-America women's basketball team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rhyne Howard, Aliyah Boston top AP preseason All-America women's basketball team

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As good as I think Boston can become it needs to be remembered that Charles was thought to be pretty good and yet she struggled in UConn's system for 2 years. And Boston's minutes were limited last season, due in part to a lack of conditioning and in part due to foul trouble.
And remember that Williams had a great freshman year and was tabbed as a preseason AA last year.
False on both counts.
Actually false on three counts Christyn Williams received 1 vote for pre-season AP AA last year that is far from being "tabbed" pre-Season AA.
AP preseason All-American women’s basketball team: Sabrina Ionescu, Lauren Cox headline squad

Reaction Score
She didn't struggle.

Honorable Mention A/A as a frosh.
3rd team A/A as a soph.

Those are awards, not measurable performance. And how does she make 3rd team AA as a sophomore? Or is that a prediction? And I'm not saying she didn't have a great freshman year, just that it's a low bar. With the loss of the seniors Boston will have more responsibilities, at both ends. Maybe she will handle them but as I stated about Williams, freshman numbers don't necessarily translate.
Again, I wish UConn had gotten her but I think there's too much hand-wringing about playing against her. She'll be tough, but not impossible. Should be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Those are awards, not measurable performance. And how does she make 3rd team AA as a sophomore? Or is that a prediction? And I'm not saying she didn't have a great freshman year, just that it's a low bar. With the loss of the seniors Boston will have more responsibilities, at both ends. Maybe she will handle them but as I stated about Williams, freshman numbers don't necessarily translate.
Again, I wish UConn had gotten her but I think there's too much hand-wringing about playing against her. She'll be tough, but not impossible. Should be fun to watch.
That was in reference to Tina Charles.

Reaction Score
That was in reference to Tina Charles.

Then I don't think they watched Charles and Geno in her 2nd year, and actually even the first half of her junior year. He yanked her out of many games, not to give her a blow, but because he didn't like her play. Like Boston, Charles did some great things and had great games, but she would also disappear for entire games at times and was a semi-permanent resident in Geno's dog house.

Reaction Score
As good as I think Boston can become it needs to be remembered that Charles was thought to be pretty good and yet she struggled in UConn's system for 2 years. And Boston's minutes were limited last season, due in part to a lack of conditioning and in part due to foul trouble.
And remember that Williams had a great freshman year and was tabbed as a preseason AA last year.
I like the way things have turned out, I’m not one of those people who get upset about recruits going elsewhere. I am of the belief that everything happens for a reason. I was just speaking hypothetically or from a different perspective.
Dangerfield, Williams, Makarat, Walker, Boston last year would’ve been a tough team to beat. Even if she didn’t play well offensively, she is master at covering the paint. She can block or alter every shot.

As far as conditioning, remember Stef Dolson’s freshman year?

Reaction Score
I like the way things have turned out, I’m not one of those people who get upset about recruits going elsewhere. I am of the belief that everything happens for a reason. I was just speaking hypothetically or from a different perspective.
Dangerfield, Williams, Makarat, Walker, Boston last year would’ve been a tough team to beat. Even if she didn’t play well offensively, she is master at covering the paint. She can block or alter every shot.

Yes I do. And do you remember that it wasn't until prior to her senior year that she took conditioning seriously?

I never intended to criticize Boston. I was trying to calm the nerves of some who see her as Polyphemus' sister.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes I do. And do you remember that it wasn't until prior to her senior year that she took conditioning seriously?
I never intended to criticize Boston. I was trying to calm the nerves of some who see her as Polyphemus' sister.
Personally my nerves will be much calmer when UCONN recruits someone that can actually guard Boston. UCONN does have an answer for Boston and apparently the rest of college basketball might not either. BTW Boston is only going to be a sophomore and per Dawn has added range and consistency to her jump shot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Personally my nerves will be much calmer when UCONN recruits someone that can actually guard Boston. UCONN does have an answer for Boston and apparently the rest of college basketball might not either. BTW Boston is only going to be a sophomore and per Dawn has added range and consistency to her jump shot.

Lets see how our tough minded and aggressive Aaliyah and Liv handle the challenge. I think pretty well. With enough bodies and overall team speed, we can handle any one player. We will force others to beat us and they may but then they have to stop us. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score

I think she’s pretty good, if they have a good season I think she can beat out Howard for player of the year. I don’t think Boston or Dolson had/have conditioning issues to the point where it’s a major concern. However, I’m not over here as a fan scared to play South Carolina because of Boston. When a player is good, I don’t have a problem saying they are whether it be UConn or another team.

Reaction Score
I'll play along.

Had ONO come to SC like a lot of people thought she would it's entirely possible that Boston would be at UConn.

Just a hypothetical. I prefer the way it turned out though.
I think people that are dismissing Liv as vastly inferior to Boston are going to eat their words over the next two seasons. Did Liv struggle against Boston? Yes, but let’s see what happens this year before we write Liv off.

Reaction Score

You realize Nelson-Ododa had 14 more blocks than Boston last year, right?

Reaction Score
You realize Nelson-Ododa had 14 more blocks than Boston last year, right?

SC as a team last year lead the country in Blocked Shots. It wasn’t all just Boston. But 86 of 284 has to count for something right?:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think people that are dismissing Liv as vastly inferior to Boston are going to eat their words over the next two seasons. Did Liv struggle against Boston? Yes, but let’s see what happens this year before we write Liv off.
I think that people who are hoping and thinking that Liv is a comparable player to Boston are the ones being dismissive and more likely to be eating words.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People act like we’ve never had to play a team with a big, strong, and skilled center before! I promise you that Geno knows what to do and will have a plan to deal with Boston. On top of that, Liv is a finesse center and needs more experience in order to cope with a center like Boston who has the natural advantage of her weight and power. We will see soon enough if Boston can dominate Liv enough to beat us this year. Color me doubtful! She (Boston) is a good player but I’m not ready to say she’s a great one yet. She may become one, but Liv may as well! Also, Liv will have some help this season.

Reaction Score
UCONN lost to South Carolina by 28 points

I think that people who are hoping and thinking that Liv is a comparable player to Boston are the ones being dismissive and more likely to be eating words.
We’ll see! Boston wasn’t solely responsible for that margin.

Reaction Score
SC as a team last year lead the country in Blocked Shots. It wasn’t all just Boston. But 86 of 284 has to count for something right?:D
Playing next to a shot blocker like Kiki will certainly tamp down your block stats.

It will be interesting to see how ONO puts it together as an upperclassmen as she still has all the potential to be really good, but the reality is, last season she would have been competing for SEC Sixth WOY if she played for South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Playing next to a shot blocker like Kiki will certainly tamp down your block stats.

It will be interesting to see how ONO puts it together as an upperclassmen as she still has all the potential to be really good, but the reality is, last season she would have been competing for SEC Sixth WOY if she played for South Carolina.

Saxton has potential to be a better shot blocker than Boston and Amihere has more potential than both IMO. I can’t wait to see it this year.

Reaction Score
Boston was one of the best players in the nation last year regardless of stats.

Christyn did not play to her full potential last year because of the hype from her freshman season. She couldn’t stop thinking about it and just play. Despite her not playing her best, she still had a good year and that says a lot about what she can do.
She didn't have a good year .... she had a good finish to her year but well past the midway point of last year, her play was really seldom good, mostly mediocre or poor .... she resurrected herself and closed out the year at a much higher and more expected place but overall, it was NOT a GOOD year

Reaction Score
She didn't struggle.

Honorable Mention A/A as a frosh.
3rd team A/A as a soph.
That was silly being considered third team A/A last year because until the last part of the season where she finally got to playing at close to a level that most people expected she was either putting in mediocre or poor performances .... She must have gotten some attention from voters for that last third of the season because if they were tuning in earlier, she wouldn't have had a chance to get any votes from anyone who follows women's basketball .... it was good seeing her playing better but it was far from a GOOD season .....

Reaction Score
She didn't have a good year .... she had a good finish to her year but well past the midway point of last year, her play was really seldom good, mostly mediocre or poor .... she resurrected herself and closed out the year at a much higher and more expected place but overall, it was NOT a GOOD year

Then I guess Boston didn't have a very good year either, because they put up very very similar numbers.

Reaction Score

Yeah, it counts for exactly 14 less than Nelson-Ododa had. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UCONN lost to South Carolina by 28 points

No, UConn lost by 18 to SC last year. Liv put up 10pts 9rbs and 3 blks, Boston put up 13pts, 12rbs, and 2 blks, the notion that Boston dominated ONO in that game is delusional. Boston is a damn good player, but she is NOWHERE near the player that some of you make her out to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom