Rewatching Texas/South Carolina games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rewatching Texas/South Carolina games

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Uh no Uconn did not beat Miss. St to get to the game and SC beat Stanford. We held up put end of the bargain. And don't give me that Miss. ST. was tires issue because they have beaten Miss. St 11 out of 12 games. These refs and calls arguments are weak at best. I know Gabby's name as well as I know Aja. The conspiracy theories are laughable. Aja, has been a finalist for NPOY for the past 3 yrs. She has earned everything she has received. With your assessment that her game is all smoke and mirrors it' a wonder Geno offered her. Maybe he didnt. Maybe that offer was fabricated by Espn also. Just admit that the hate is she chose another school and unlike other top players she has accomplished practically everyone of her goals. Just reading the Sports Illustrated story on post players and Geno does not share your opinion of her skills, but hey he did want her at Uconn, (or maybe not)

I hope that SC is in the Albany region, that way Wilson can get schooled again by Gabby Williams, heck maybe the Refs will even call all those over the back fouls that she had in the original game and foul out before the half.

Reaction Score
Back to the original discussion...South Carolina would be the better matchup for the Huskies. They don’t shoot 3s and if you pack it in on Wilson, they’ll struggle offensively. South Carolina has never been competitive against the Huskies, and I don’t think that changes this year.

Texas has better scoring guards who can create their own shot and get in the lane as well as knock down triples. Post play is the glaring issue for Texas. Holmes has been a wild child on the court, Boothe has really struggled and AACG has been injured leaving just White as a strong option inside. I don’t think either team poses a big problem for the Huskies, but if I’m Geno I’d rather be paired with SC.

Gotta wonder what'll happen if Tenn ends up in Albany? :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder what'll happen if Tenn ends up in Albany? :rolleyes:

They’d get slaughtered by UCONN or lose in the Sweet 16 if they make it out of Knoxville. There’s a reason why no one wants to be in UCONN’s region year after year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
1997 Tennessee had both Holdsclaw, who missed games during the season, and Catchings. That UConn loss was easily the best played Elite 8 game ever. 2006 was a last shot loss and in 2007 Sylvia Fowles was dominant.

1997 Tennessee didn’t have Catchings on the roster. Jolly who was out for a big chunk of the year and she had a great game against Connecticut in the regional final. Holdsclaw played every game that year. Was a good game, but far from best Elite 8 game ever IMO.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Uh no Uconn did not beat Miss. St to get to the game and SC beat Stanford. We held up put end of the bargain. And don't give me that Miss. ST. was tires issue because they have beaten Miss. St 11 out of 12 games. These refs and calls arguments are weak at best. I know Gabby's name as well as I know Aja. The conspiracy theories are laughable. Aja, has been a finalist for NPOY for the past 3 yrs. She has earned everything she has received. With your assessment that her game is all smoke and mirrors it' a wonder Geno offered her. Maybe he didnt. Maybe that offer was fabricated by Espn also. Just admit that the hate is she chose another school and unlike other top players she has accomplished practically everyone of her goals. Just reading the Sports Illustrated story on post players and Geno does not share your opinion of her skills, but hey he did want her at Uconn, (or maybe not)
Talking about smoke and mirrors, how many victories does SC have over UConn? IF UConn had been in the NC game, then we would have #12, Wilson would've been completely out played again and #33 would be the 2018 NPOY. If Lou played on a team that was more concerned with an individual's stats (ahem) than team's stats, she would easily average 30+ points a game and would probably be on course to break every scoring record, including 3 point FGs.

It doesn't matter, you're a SC homer and are entitled to your bias just as we on this forum are entitled to ours.

Reaction Score
They’d get slaughtered by UCONN or lose in the Sweet 16 if they make it out of Knoxville. There’s a reason why no one wants to be in UCONN’s region year after year.

After winning the SEC tourney do you truly feel SC deserves to go to Lexington or Albany?

SC has done pretty well this year despite losing 2 senior guards for the season. With only 9 active players and over half of them freshman and sophomores, I find it very impressive. Hopefully the committee does as well.

Reaction Score
It's true that South Carolina's guards have "struggled mightily" as Spurrier might say. But, it's been better down the stretch.

Harris is shooting 40% on 3s in conference play. Bianca Jackson is shooting 39% from 3 in conference play. Cliney starting hitting them in the tournament, but I won't necessarily hold my breath on that one in the big games.

UConn put on a clinic vs South Carolina and it wasn't all South Carolina playing poor defense. The ball whipped around even until deep in the shot clock and UConn drained everything. And South Carolina folded for a while.

South Carolina isn't as good as UConn, but I think its best game can make it interesting.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
After winning the SEC tourney do you truly feel SC deserves to go to Lexington or Albany?

SC has done pretty well this year despite losing 2 senior guards for the season. With only 9 active players and over half of them freshman and sophomores, I find it very impressive. Hopefully the committee does as well.

I don’t think they’ll go to Albany. I personally think the committee needs to discredit their losses to Tennessee because they were without Wilson who makes such a difference, and they have Wilson going forward. I think they’re solidly the #7 team this year, behind Oregon and ahead of Texas. Texas should go to Albany, SC to Lexington or KC.

I’ll be stunned if they go to Albany—but if they do, I think it’s the best case scenario for Connecticut. Every other one seed will be hoping for Texas or even Oregon over South Carolina. It’s all about matchups.

Reaction Score
Honestly since the series with Dawn started SCar has continually shown that they have trouble with UConn's style of play. They, in recent years, have particularly shown an inability to handle Gabby or UConn's 3 pt shooters. They have looked slow and indecisive on switches, have had a problem defending UConn of the dribble. They've also been unable to score consistently from the perimeter when UCONN packs it in on A'ja. I don't know what can change there, excepting Lou having another off shooting night.

Texas on the other hand had success with their size and physicality. They also covered Lou well on the perimeter. I think it surprised the UConn players a bit. Z also was still finding her way around the UCONN offense and defense. We'll see what changes the next toime if they meet again.
As long as the same refs don’t show up.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
When you mention blocks you are comparing apples to oranges...so here you go, who led the NATION in 3 point fg percentage? 3 gold medals and International MVPs have no bearing on NCAA WBB NPOY. And the only reason that she was ESPN's preseason pick was because SC was lucky enough not to have to play UConn in the NC game and therefore "won" the NC.

So, what you're saying is that since 1995, every team besides UCONN gets their NC in quotes?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Lexington where Louisville will be the 1 seed and the overall number 2. Since the Gamecocks won the SECT and Texas lost in the B12T, the Gamecocks get the nod for the 3rd number 2 seed.

Reaction Score
Lexington where Louisville will be the 1 seed and the overall number 2. Since the Gamecocks won the SECT and Texas lost in the B12T, the Gamecocks get the nod for the 3rd number 2 seed.

It's not set and stone yet and we must take it one game at a time, but how do you feel about a potential Elite 8 matchup with Louisville? They are solid and will have a good crowd but I think we match up very well with them.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's not set and stone yet and we must take it one game at a time, but how do you feel about a potential Elite 8 matchup with Louisville? They are solid and will have a good crowd but I think we match up very well with them.

We played Louisville in Springfield last season, which was a game I attended. We took the Cards to school in that game so we would have plenty of confidence if we played them. I also like how the Gamecocks matchup versus Louisville better than how they matchup versus UCONN. Those are the 2 Regionals I'd attend with KCMO possible. I probably wouldn't go to Spokane. Because of work commitments I'd have to miss the Final Four. :( I can't wait until retirement.

Reaction Score
1997 Tennessee had both Holdsclaw, who missed games during the season, and Catchings. That UConn loss was easily the best played Elite 8 game ever. 2006 was a last shot loss and in 2007 Sylvia Fowles was dominant.
And in 1998, Sales didn’t play due to her season ending injury.

Reaction Score
Louisville vs. UConn in the E8 is not going to happen. It's simple math.

Reaction Score
I don’t think they’ll go to Albany. I personally think the committee needs to discredit their losses to Tennessee because they were without Wilson who makes such a difference, and they have Wilson going forward. I think they’re solidly the #7 team this year, behind Oregon and ahead of Texas. Texas should go to Albany, SC to Lexington or KC.

I’ll be stunned if they go to Albany—but if they do, I think it’s the best case scenario for Connecticut. Every other one seed will be hoping for Texas or even Oregon over South Carolina. It’s all about matchups.
Everyone gets a pass when Uconn beats them. No one falls to far down in the polls ( South Carolina got spanked at home and stayed ranked 7th ) except 1 team South Florida! USF would only have 4 losses if not for Uconn. Should have a 4 seed before Tenn.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Everyone gets a pass when Uconn beats them. No one falls to far down in the polls ( South Carolina got spanked at home and stayed ranked 7th ) except 1 team South Florida! USF would only have 4 losses if not for Uconn. Should have a 4 seed before Tenn.

They might be a better team, but Tennessee does have good wins over South Carolina twice, A&M, and Texas. Question is will the committee place high value on the SC wins when they didn’t face Wilson?

Reaction Score
They shouldnt but then again. It is the committee. Tenn. was supposed to win those 2 games without Wilson and did!

Reaction Score
Texas should be the last 2 seed, they haven't beaten a top 10 team, and shouldn't get credit for close loses at home. South Carolina just beat the number 2 team in the nation, that makes them better then Texas.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
So, what you're saying is that since 1995, every team besides UCONN gets their NC in quotes?
And that is the only thing that matters in my post? Unbelievable. Bye.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I was talking about a SC vs Louisville Elite 8 matchup.
Oops, our mistake, we thought that this was a UConn forum and "we" usually refers to us.

Reaction Score
Watched both games again yesterday to reinforce my memory. UConn seemed to be low on energy on both sides of the floor especially for most of the first half against Texas. They played a soft defense and did not cut with authority. Coron- Goudreau played a huge influence . At 6-4 she is very physical , and athletic. She has an injury and has not been playing. I have searched for more info , but to no avail. It's no mystery that since her injury, Texas has been on a downward spiral. The officiating was also horrible . Let's start with the illustrious crew of Dee Kantner and co. who swallowed their whistles as KLS was hacked on 3 as 1st qtr. came to an end. At 1:45 left in the game KLS is literally thrown to the floor by Higgs as she cuts thru the lane. Again no call. Then last , but not least is the phantom call on Z before the inbound pass with 15.5 sec. left. Typical of the state of officiating in wcbb. Texas has better guards, but I don't fear them right now.
SC is playing much better since they were dismantled by UConn . No they don't have much depth , or the quality of guards that Texas has. But they have a "top tier " player in AW and a better coach in DS. SC has improved their play and won the SEC tourney. Personally , I rate them ahead of Texas right now. Texas should be sent to Albany for a hypothetical regional matchup. SC to Lexington. Baylor to KC.

Reaction Score
Oops, our mistake, we thought that this was a UConn forum and "we" usually refers to us.

Well you thought wrong Head bang I was clearly talking to another SC fan when I said "we" and nothing in my post had anything to do with UCONN.

Reaction Score
I would personally prefer South Carolina in Albany since they don't seem to have the guard play that Texas does and do not match up well against UConn. Texas can also be very physical, and if the refs shallow their whistles, UConn can really struggle against those types of teams. This is a finesse team, and South Carolina allows them to play their preferred type of game more so than Texas. That said, winning the SEC tourney was big for SC, and I expect them to avoid Albany as a result.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom