Rewatching Texas/South Carolina games | The Boneyard

Rewatching Texas/South Carolina games

Reaction Score
Been re watching the games as it is likely one of these teams joins us in Albany.

Do you think South Carolina is as bad as we made them look? Do you think Texas is as good? If we met either again is their a likelihood the games play out in a similar manner? Do you prefer one over the other to face again?

Both games were played on the road in the middle of the season. It was striking how easily we handled South Carolina. I'm not sure why it was so easy. In comparison we never had control against Texas. Fell down double digits 2 times in the 1st half. Collier fouled out, Azura and Kia finished with 4 fouls. We struggled to guard them and Gabby/Pheesa both finished in single digits scoring. Even when it looked like we were about to take control Texas answered to make it interesting to the final seconds.

South Carolina seems to turn it on in March. They may have the better coach than Texas. They have arguably IMO the best player in the country. If the supporting cast steps up like they did at the SEC Tourney they could be much more formidable than they were when we faced them. Sorta like LSU in 2007.

Texas has played UConn and Baylor tough. They have yet to get that signature win and seem to play down/up to their competition. There's no way we'd overlook them after our first meeting. Not sure Aston is a great coach. Instead of a hostile crowd in Austin it would be a more pro UConn crowd in Albany. But we absolutely have to use Walker if even for 5-7 minutes just to give our posts a rest and keep them out of foul trouble.

We shall soon find out. Either one is very formidable IMO.

Reaction Score
I think Texas matches up better with UCONN then SC. Even though Baylor has had Texas' number they are a dangerous team with depth and senior leadership that could pay dividends in the Tournament.

SC doesn't have the guard play to match up with UCONN. Had Gray and Davis stayed maybe the conversation would have been different. In order for SC to be successful versus UCONN our guard play needs to be spectacular and we just don't have that this year. I think we are a better match for Louisville. Our post play versus their guards would be interesting. Hopefully the committee does the right thing and put us in Lexington. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Been re watching the games as it is likely one of these teams joins us in Albany.

Do you think South Carolina is as bad as we made them look? Do you think Texas is as good? If we met either again is their a likelihood the games play out in a similar manner? Do you prefer one over the other to face again?

Both games were played on the road in the middle of the season. It was striking how easily we handled South Carolina. I'm not sure why it was so easy. In comparison we never had control against Texas. Fell down double digits 2 times in the 1st half. Collier fouled out, Azura and Kia finished with 4 fouls. We struggled to guard them and Gabby/Pheesa both finished in single digits scoring. Even when it looked like we were about to take control Texas answered to make it interesting to the final seconds.

South Carolina seems to turn it on in March. They may have the better coach than Texas. They have arguably IMO the best player in the country. If the supporting cast steps up like they did at the SEC Tourney they could be much more formidable than they were when we faced them. Sorta like LSU in 2007.

Texas has played UConn and Baylor tough. They have yet to get that signature win and seem to play down/up to their competition. There's no way we'd overlook them after our first meeting. Not sure Aston is a great coach. Instead of a hostile crowd in Austin it would be a more pro UConn crowd in Albany. But we absolutely have to use Walker if even for 5-7 minutes just to give our posts a rest and keep them out of foul trouble.

Honestly since the series with Dawn started SCar has continually shown that they have trouble with UConn's style of play. They, in recent years, have particularly shown an inability to handle Gabby or UConn's 3 pt shooters. They have looked slow and indecisive on switches, have had a problem defending UConn of the dribble. They've also been unable to score consistently from the perimeter when UCONN packs it in on A'ja. I don't know what can change there, excepting Lou having another off shooting night.

Texas on the other hand had success with their size and physicality. They also covered Lou well on the perimeter. I think it surprised the UConn players a bit. Z also was still finding her way around the UCONN offense and defense. We'll see what changes the next toime if they meet again.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Sorry that you feel that SC has the best player in the country and I guess that you might be drinking that ESPN Kool-Aid because IMO the BEST player in the country is UConn's #33!!!!
I also believe that we own SC and we should have no problem with Texas because of reasons why we didn't control them, in your opinion, in that game will not happen again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last year at this time people were moaning about MD being in the same bracket as UCONN and that matchup never materialized. Would rather have Texas not scared of either though because it a bus ride for UCONN might as well be in thier backyard.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

With the many foul calls, UCONN's lack of depth was exposed against Texas. That situation has not improved. If the game is called similarly, UCONN will again struggle. We all feel that Z has progressed substantially since early in the season, albeit against less dominant competition, so her defense will hopefully be better and her presence more felt there, taking pressure off Collier, who fouled out. While Aston may not be a COY candidate, she seems to be creeping up on UCONN in each game since the 51-point loss three years ago.

South Carolina has not put up a good fight yet against UCONN. Even in their championship season, they only closed against UCONN to a "respectable loss" in the final few minutes. Nothing is ever certain, but it appears that UCONN matches up well vs. SoCar.

Ultimately, I believe that UCONN's defense, speed and multiple weapons will prevail against either E8 opponent.

Reaction Score
Sorry that you feel that SC has the best player in the country and I guess that you might be drinking that ESPN Kool-Aid because IMO the BEST player in the country is UConn's #33!!!!
I also believe that we own SC and we should have no problem with Texas because of reasons why we didn't control them, in your opinion, in that game will not happen again.
No apology needed it is just a fact. Look no more than this past weekend, though Uconn has a great team Wilson is the best player in college basketball right now. Only player in the top 15 in every stat in country.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No apology needed it is just a fact. Look no more than this past weekend, though Uconn has a great team Wilson is the best player in college basketball right now. Only player in the top 15 in every stat in country.

The only stats that I saw her in are Scoring, Rebounding, and Blocks. What about Assists, Steals, FG %, FT %, 3 pt, 3 pt %, so she is not in the top 15 in every stat.

Reaction Score
History has shown that if UConn is going to lose it will come in the first game of any weekend in the tournament. My thinking is that when a good coach (Vic, Tara, Muffet) has a week to prepare their team and their team plays near their peak then UConn can be beaten. UConn doesn't lose in the second game (E8 or NC game) because their opponent a) is coming off what to them is a huge win, and b) they have only 48 hours till they face UConn. I don't think any 4 seed can beat UConn on their best day. I also don't see UConn getting beat in the E8 unless their opponent had the luxury of playing a very weak S16 opponent who got there in a fluke and therefor could think they could ignore that opponent and focus on UConn. I doubt that would happen but it may be why Dayton got to the E8 a few years ago. In the final four semi is where UConn has been beat. If UConn wins that game then they face a team in the final that hasn't the time to prepare.

Reaction Score

Your statement would have been better served if you said "top 20" and even with that, one big stat Field-Goal Percentage (FG%) would still leave Wilson ranked at #32. Forget that 2 UConn players are ranked higher in FG%, Collier #27 and Stevens #12...but Russell!! (LadyVol) :eek: is ranked #19 in that category.

EDIT: Blurred out area for previous years

upload_2018-3-10_5-59-55.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
History has shown that if UConn is going to lose it will come in the first game of any weekend in the tournament. My thinking is that when a good coach (Vic, Tara, Muffet) has a week to prepare their team and their team plays near their peak then UConn can be beaten. UConn doesn't lose in the second game (E8 or NC game) because their opponent a) is coming off what to them is a huge win, and b) they have only 48 hours till they face UConn. I don't think any 4 seed can beat UConn on their best day. I also don't see UConn getting beat in the E8 unless their opponent had the luxury of playing a very weak S16 opponent who got there in a fluke and therefor could think they could ignore that opponent and focus on UConn. I doubt that would happen but it may be why Dayton got to the E8 a few years ago. In the final four semi is where UConn has been beat. If UConn wins that game then they face a team in the final that hasn't the time to prepare.
In 1997 an undefeated Uconn team lost to a Tennessee team with 10 losses in the Elite 8. In 1998 Uconn lost again in the Elite 8. 2006 Uconn lost to Duke in the Elite 8. In 2007 Uconn lost to LSU in the Elite 8.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Alydar has Affirmed that UCONN is tough to beat on short notice. Second, Alydar Places importance on preparation. He also Rates praise for pointing out that if a team such as Belmont becomes the S16 opponent, there will be more time to prepare for E8 with less at Stake in the first matchup. He wins Champagne, but not quite a Laurel, for suggesting it takes a good coach, with a good team, and enough time between competitions, to pull off the upset.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is playing well right now. I am most impressed with their other BIGs. South Carolina seems to be playing better as a unit, and in the past few games I haven't felt that every bit of their offense has to start with, or, pass through, AW. That is goodness for South Carolina, especially when AW comes out of the game.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Keep on dreaming...
BTW I do think that Wilson will win most, if not all, of the NPOY awards but only because she was preordained in the preseason by ESPN and their announcers shoved it down everyone's throats during every game that they aired. Hell, even ESPNW shoves her down our throats at every chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No dreaming necessary. If you looked past your bias, it not hard to discern that She is your player of the year and not #33. Aja affects both sides if the floor at a high level hence not only was she SEC player of the year, she was also Co-defensive player of the year. She led the conference in blocks. Uconn has the best team and collective talent but If you swapped players Lou could not carry a team the way And can on both ends. ESPN likes her but Aja also won 3 gold medals and International MVPs. So I will stick to my opinion but good discussion

Centerstream

Reaction Score
No dreaming necessary. If you looked past your bias, it not hard to discern that She is your player of the year and not #33. Aja affects both sides if the floor at a high level hence not only was she SEC player of the year, she was also Co-defensive player of the year. She led the conference in blocks. Uconn has the best team and collective talent but If you swapped players Lou could not carry a team the way And can on both ends. ESPN likes her but Aja also won 3 gold medals and International MVPs. So I will stick to my opinion but good discussion
When you mention blocks you are comparing apples to oranges...so here you go, who led the NATION in 3 point fg percentage? 3 gold medals and International MVPs have no bearing on NCAA WBB NPOY. And the only reason that she was ESPN's preseason pick was because SC was lucky enough not to have to play UConn in the NC game and therefore "won" the NC.

Reaction Score
In 1997 an undefeated Uconn team lost to a Tennessee team with 10 losses in the Elite 8. In 1998 Uconn lost again in the Elite 8. 2006 Uconn lost to Duke in the Elite 8. In 2007 Uconn lost to LSU in the Elite 8.
You go back 20 years for evidence of it not being the case. My evidence is that in the last 10 years UConn's record against N Dame & Stanford is 0-3 in the semis and 3-0 in the final.

And any reference to the "dark years" is inadmissible. :)

Reaction Score
1997 Tennessee had both Holdsclaw, who missed games during the season, and Catchings. That UConn loss was easily the best played Elite 8 game ever. 2006 was a last shot loss and in 2007 Sylvia Fowles was dominant.

Reaction Score
If Lou had to carry a team like Aja does. Lou would be averaging over 30 a game! After 4 years at SC Aja hardly kicks the ball out to shooters when she is double teamed. Also when she forces her shots. It seems the refs bail her out half the time. Wilson not only has not played like a POY against Uconn. She hasnt had an AA game against them in 4 years! Remember her freshmen year when she told ESPN that she circled the date on her schedule for the Uconn game. In her 4 years average margin of victory is 19 pts! She still cant hit the 12-15 ft jumper consistently. She outplays McCowan and Russell who are taller than her but not Uconns post that is 6in shorter than her! The name is Williams Gabby Williams! If you looked past your bias then you would agree with everything on this post!

Reaction Score
You go back 20 years for evidence of it not being the case. My evidence is that in the last 10 years UConn's record against N Dame & Stanford is 0-3 in the semis and 3-0 in the final.

And any reference to the "dark years" is inadmissible. :)
Did you say last 10 years in that first post? NO

Reaction Score
1997 Tennessee had both Holdsclaw, who missed games during the season, and Catchings. That UConn loss was easily the best played Elite 8 game ever. 2006 was a last shot loss and in 2007 Sylvia Fowles was dominant.
All Elite 8 losses!

Reaction Score
Did you say last 10 years in that first post? NO

No I didn't. And you made a valid counter-argument. I merely pointed out how far back you went to find some of that argument.

Recent trends tend to have more validity in predicting. Wouldn't you agree?

Reaction Score
When you mention blocks you are comparing apples to oranges...so here you go, who led the NATION in 3 point fg percentage? 3 gold medals and International MVPs have no bearing on NCAA WBB NPOY. And the only reason that she was ESPN's preseason pick was because SC was lucky enough not to have to play UConn in the NC game and therefore "won" the NC.
Uh no Uconn did not beat Miss. St to get to the game and SC beat Stanford. We held up put end of the bargain. And don't give me that Miss. ST. was tires issue because they have beaten Miss. St 11 out of 12 games. These refs and calls arguments are weak at best. I know Gabby's name as well as I know Aja. The conspiracy theories are laughable. Aja, has been a finalist for NPOY for the past 3 yrs. She has earned everything she has received. With your assessment that her game is all smoke and mirrors it' a wonder Geno offered her. Maybe he didnt. Maybe that offer was fabricated by Espn also. Just admit that the hate is she chose another school and unlike other top players she has accomplished practically everyone of her goals. Just reading the Sports Illustrated story on post players and Geno does not share your opinion of her skills, but hey he did want her at Uconn, (or maybe not)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Really, from the press and what everyone talks about, it was Miss St who was the big winner last year, they don't even talk about the game afterwards LMAO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Back to the original discussion...South Carolina would be the better matchup for the Huskies. They don’t shoot 3s and if you pack it in on Wilson, they’ll struggle offensively. South Carolina has never been competitive against the Huskies, and I don’t think that changes this year.

Texas has better scoring guards who can create their own shot and get in the lane as well as knock down triples. Post play is the glaring issue for Texas. Holmes has been a wild child on the court, Boothe has really struggled and AACG has been injured leaving just White as a strong option inside. I don’t think either team poses a big problem for the Huskies, but if I’m Geno I’d rather be paired with SC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom