Revisionist History

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
C'mon

giphy.gif
Typical Sunday at the Yard, everyone is an English teacher

Reaction Score
Here’s the reality. Both arguments have merit. Teams have to learn how to “win” and while we have to keep improving, we have already made progress.
When I lived in Philadelphia, the Phillies would get to the NLCS but could never get to the World Series—until Pete Rose arrived from Cincy. They finally did it in 1980 and when they asked the players what turned them from “almost” to reality here’s what they said: “Pete Rose taught us how to win”.
As for the reality of our play on the field two things are clear. Jack Zergiotis has to relax and improve his accuracy and our DB’s must turn around as the ball approaches. We’ve seen progress with Jack Zergiotis—who BTW is a very self aware athlete. As for the DB’s, they continue to mystify.
Bottom line we are improving. Don’t think the 2020 schedule and commitment to the program hasn’t also been a player energizer. Navy should be winnable. Not easy but winnable. Let’s see how the confidence gained vs UMass translates. I’m cautiously confident.

cautiously confident is an oxymoron.

Navy will be blasting Anchor’s Aweigh all game.

Reaction Score
No Texas coach nor Memphis/Tulsa/East Carolina is as prepared - after 2 decades - for Navy’s offense. I present to you Randy Edsall. As bad as he got beat by Navy not long ago ... I theorize that Edsall has his defense spend time in August to meet a Navy triple option.

Therefore. My pick is we lose by LESS than Tulane. Of course, if we win I’m buying a round. Barley House - Rye. Be there boys

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So happy for the players with the win but if you think there has been significant improvement over last year, we are watching different games.

The defense while not all-time bad, is atrocious, no way to sugar coat it.
That’s an improvement.

Reaction Score
The defense is definitely better.

The offense is generally worse, although there have been some moments.

We would have 3-4 wins if Pindell was still here.

Reaction Score
Defensive Line?

far better. Travis Jones growth alone. Harris and Kevon Jones are better than last years. Uguak has noticeably improved. Thomas, Pace marginal. Watts certainly makes a difference - occasionally

Linebacker?

Morgan - while injured - has had solid moments. Gilmartin has played well at moments. Jackson Mitchell gives us hope - with strength added & maturity. I’ve always liked Swenson. Fortt. Certainly far better than what Crocker had aligned. 2018 LBs were the worst since the early 1990s.

DBs

we are deep. Last year, it was like watching a waiting room at the Vets. Occasional crashes and tackles. No solid work at coverage with intensity. We now have about 8 kids that actually look like they can play. Only Coyle looks like he can advance to a pro project. Harrell & Paul have moments. But last year was a ____ show.

there: My judgement is Better. Not top 100 ... but I see potential rounding out

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UMass didn't have a chance of stopping the run game. With that said, if they didn't fumble away their first two drives and their CB didn't drop that easy pick-6 I'm not sure we win.
IF, IF, IF
I understand but, in sports, as in most areas of life, the IF game just doesn't work

Reaction Score
Having gone from the worst defense in the history of modern college fooball to pretty damn bad in one year is not a small step forward. The only folks who wanted to pretend we could have been much better than this in one year are those who want to pretend that last year's problem was x's and o's and not jimmies and joes. The Jimmy and Joes are not as overwhelmed as they were last year. Next year, there should be continuing improvement.

Reaction Score
It's still a very young defense, but there are some players on the line and in the secondary. How a program that once had LBs Lutrus, Wilson, Moore, Smallwood and Lloyd in the program at the same time (hell, Robinson had trouble getting on the field!) to what we have now is a mystery to me.

The more and more I look at the roster the more I'm convinced that Diaco had a substance abuse problem......I kid. But, honestly, he absolutely duck**d the roster and Edsall appears to be making some progress fixing it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IF, IF, IF
I understand but, in sports, as in most areas of life, the IF game just doesn't work
He basically used my logic to tell me my logic was wrong. How illogical.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You’re right. If UConn didn’t get lit up in the second quarter against an awful Illinois team and Jack Zergiotis didn’t throw those 3 picks, UConn definitely beats USF and Houston! (Two also terrible teams). You are like a young Aristotle.
In fairness, they were better than Houston, but the kid missed several open bombs and there was hard to defend play calling on 1st and goal from the 4. USF was horrible, and we were worse. I think Beaudry QB;d against USF.

But confidence and learning how to win do count. We are infinitely more watchable than we were last year. I'm not a HCRE fan and think his unaggressive defensive schemes can work if your line controls and you have a few playmakers on D. So I'm in the camp that he has a lot to prove and a lot of recruiting to do to try and find some D players especially at DE, LB and DB who are disruptive and are given the freedom to attack..In the meantime, we might have an O that can put some drives together (and don't overuse plays meant to deceive like they did with Ross) .

Reaction Score
Defensive Line?

far better. Travis Jones growth alone. Harris and Kevon Jones are better than last years. Uguak has noticeably improved. Thomas, Pace marginal. Watts certainly makes a difference - occasionally

Linebacker?

Morgan - while injured - has had solid moments. Gilmartin has played well at moments. Jackson Mitchell gives us hope - with strength added & maturity. I’ve always liked Swenson. Fortt. Certainly far better than what Crocker had aligned. 2018 LBs were the worst since the early 1990s.

DBs

we are deep. Last year, it was like watching a waiting room at the Vets. Occasional crashes and tackles. No solid work at coverage with intensity. We now have about 8 kids that actually look like they can play. Only Coyle looks like he can advance to a pro project. Harrell & Paul have moments. But last year was a ____ show.

there: My judgement is Better. Not top 100 ... but I see potential rounding out
Dillon Harris?

Reaction Score
In fairness, they were better than Houston, but the kid missed several open bombs and there was hard to defend play calling on 1st and goal from the 4. USF was horrible, and we were worse. I think Beaudry QB;d against USF.

But confidence and learning how to win do count. We are infinitely more watchable than we were last year. I'm not a HCRE fan and think his unaggressive defensive schemes can work if your line controls and you have a few playmakers on D. So I'm in the camp that he has a lot to prove and a lot of recruiting to do to try and find some D players especially at DE, LB and DB who are disruptive and are given the freedom to attack..In the meantime, we might have an O that can put some drives together (and don't overuse plays meant to deceive like they did with Ross) .

I agree. I have a favorable opinion of Edsall but it’s largely based on 1.0 because I liked the teams style of play. Yes he’s obviously extremely (overly) conservative, but I like physical offensive lines/running game and physical hard hitting defenses. I believe he was able to build this type of team recruiting in the big east. 2.0 obviously does not have this type of team and probably never would have been able to build it in the AAC. Time will tell (if he gets the time) if he is able to build it as an Indy. I like physical lines, running games, and defense. I think it’s why Wisconsin has become my adopted team. One of the last teams I can think of to not run the spread offense in college.

Reaction Score
UMass didn't have a chance of stopping the run game. With that said, if they didn't fumble away their first two drives and their CB didn't drop that easy pick-6 I'm not sure we win.
Let’s just let UConn have this blowout win and not rationalize how they almost lost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom