Revisionist History | The Boneyard

Revisionist History

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If had found a way to win the Illinois game we would have also beaten USF and Houston. There is astronomical progress this year even if we only win 1 or 2 more on paper.

Reaction Score
I’m not seeing the correlation. I picked uconn to best Illinois at the beginning of the season. They were absolutely awful when uconn played them. Down to a walk on and two third stringers on defense. Got off to a nice 13-0 lead but Illinois scored at will in the second quarter and it really wasn’t that close. How would winning that game translate to beating USF and Houston? Couldn’t they just gone out and beat USF and Houston regardless of the outcome against Illinois? Confidence? Learning how to win? Eh I’m not buying it. Where is the correlation?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m not seeing the correlation. I picked uconn to best Illinois at the beginning of the season. They were absolutely awful when uconn played them. Down to a walk on and two third stringers on defense. Got off to a nice 13-0 lead but Illinois scored at will in the second quarter and it really wasn’t that close. How would winning that game translate to beating USF and Houston? Couldn’t they just gone out and beat USF and Houston regardless of the outcome against Illinois? Confidence? Learning how to win? Eh I’m not buying it. Where is the correlation?
If you don’t think learning to win and confidence are real things then your dumber than I thought

Reaction Score
If had found a way to win the Illinois game we would have also beaten USF and Houston. There is astronomical progress this year even if we only win 1 or 2 more on paper.

You’re right. If UConn didn’t get lit up in the second quarter against an awful Illinois team and Jack Zergiotis didn’t throw those 3 picks, UConn definitely beats USF and Houston! (Two also terrible teams). You are like a young Aristotle.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
*you're
1572184556122.gif

Reaction Score
If you don’t think learning to win and confidence are real things then your dumber than I thought

How does the result of the Illinois game directly correlate to assuming wins against USF and Houston? These games happend 4 and 6 weeks later respectively. There was like 20 practices in between. If uconn had just pulled it out against Illinois, than Jack Zergiotis definitely would have put more air under the ball to connect for those long TD passes. They literally lost by 26 to South Florida. It looks like you are the dumb one.

Reaction Score
We are right about where I thought (hoped) we would be at this point in the season. We are demonstrating slow but steady improvement, but are also exhibiting the growing pains one would expect from a young team. We are also a Randy Edsall team so don't expect 56 points very often, only against a truly execrable team such as Massachusetts.

I would expect we will beat one more opponent this year (and have an outside shot at a 4th win), but no more.

The OP is guilty of irrational exuberance. But that's not a hanging offense so enjoy it while you can get it.

Reaction Score
So happy for the players with the win but if you think there has been significant improvement over last year, we are watching different games.

The defense while not all-time bad, is atrocious, no way to sugar coat it.

Reaction Score
Here’s the reality. Both arguments have merit. Teams have to learn how to “win” and while we have to keep improving, we have already made progress.
When I lived in Philadelphia, the Phillies would get to the NLCS but could never get to the World Series—until Pete Rose arrived from Cincy. They finally did it in 1980 and when they asked the players what turned them from “almost” to reality here’s what they said: “Pete Rose taught us how to win”.
As for the reality of our play on the field two things are clear. Jack Zergiotis has to relax and improve his accuracy and our DB’s must turn around as the ball approaches. We’ve seen progress with Jack Zergiotis—who BTW is a very self aware athlete. As for the DB’s, they continue to mystify.
Bottom line we are improving. Don’t think the 2020 schedule and commitment to the program hasn’t also been a player energizer. Navy should be winnable. Not easy but winnable. Let’s see how the confidence gained vs UMass translates. I’m cautiously confident.

Reaction Score
UMass didn't have a chance of stopping the run game. With that said, if they didn't fumble away their first two drives and their CB didn't drop that easy pick-6 I'm not sure we win.

Reaction Score
Here’s the reality. Both arguments have merit. Teams have to learn how to “win” and while we have to keep improving, we have already made progress.
When I lived in Philadelphia, the Phillies would get to the NLCS but could never get to the World Series—until Pete Rose arrived from Cincy. They finally did it in 1980 and when they asked the players what turned them from “almost” to reality here’s what they said: “Pete Rose taught us how to win”.
As for the reality of our play on the field two things are clear. Jack Zergiotis has to relax and improve his accuracy and our DB’s must turn around as the ball approaches. We’ve seen progress with Jack Zergiotis—who BTW is a very self aware athlete. As for the DB’s, they continue to mystify.
Bottom line we are improving. Don’t think the 2020 schedule and commitment to the program hasn’t also been a player energizer. Navy should be winnable. Not easy but winnable. Let’s see how the confidence gained vs UMass translates. I’m cautiously confident.

Not sure where you are getting commitment to the program from. Can you elaborate? Because there has been zero commitment to the football program to my eyes.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
UMass didn't have a chance of stopping the run game. With that said, if they didn't fumble away their first two drives and their CB didn't drop that easy pick-6 I'm not sure we win.
Yeah if they didn’t make those 3 giant mistakes it would have been a completely different game.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of whiners

It is just simply not fair to say the Defense is not markedly better than 2018. Do you watch the games. I can’t imagine that I ever saw worse display of football tackles & tactics than UCONN last year. So ... I disagree.

Second. We - 2 years in a row - use newbies. Fr & Soph. Many look promising. Given that, it’s fair to say that we are better. Same kids more experience.

Could we have had another win. I buy the “learn how to win” mantra. But let’s not continue this game. Win another one next week or ECU etc. that’s all that counts.

I think we are playing a tough schedule - given the cupboards empty Diaco exit - and we all knew this was a tough grind.

Reaction Score
We will see the effect of confidence and a win make can against Navy.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So the game we lost by 8 and drive into their territory late in the 4th wasn’t close. Got it.

I’ll admit the USF game is a bit more of a stretch but the game was close for a while until we gave up late. If we had another win and more confidence under our belts that doesn’t happen.

Houston game straight up came down to “winning plays” and we didn’t make them. If we had experience and confidence pulling out a close game that game could have ended differently.

I’m sorry there is no direct provable science based correlation but it’s just my opinion.

Reaction Score
1. Stating definitively that if we beat Illinois we would have won those other 2 games makes absolutely no sense.

2. There's been some improvement. We have 2 wins and a couple of competitive losses compared to last year with 1 win and a couple of semi competitive losses

3. But with how young/bad we were last year of course there was going to be some improvement. Just by default that was going to happen. I'd like to see at least another win, probably agianst ECU, and a decent effort against a team we're not expected to be able to hang with to say I'm happy with the growth.

Reaction Score

I agree with your bottom line that we are improving and I would love to see us beat Navy or stay close, but with the way our back 7 have played so far, I don't see how we win or stay competitive, unless Navy gets a severe case of the fumbles and we capitalize on every one of them, which is unlikely. This unfortunately shapes up as another 5 TD blowout, I hate to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom