OT: - Returning college athletes test positive | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Returning college athletes test positive

Reaction Score
I wish there was some information in that article/the WHO statement rather than vague terms like most and rare. Specifically, I'd like to know which countries she's talking about. There was a paper published a couple of months ago about how one person in China, either pre- or asymptomatic, I don't remember which, infected a dozen or more people in a restaurant. It was pretty nifty how they mapped out the ventilation pattern and it matched who got sick. Some of these people were 15-20 feet away and had no contact with the carrier whatsoever.

But the virus that's in Europe and the US is a different strain. I'm hoping that the data the WHO person is citing are from Europe, and that the deadlier strain that's in Europe and the Americas is less transmissible than the Asian strain.
WHO retracted statement.

Reaction Score
This is really alarming. Less than 2 weeks after allowing athletes to return to campus on June 1 for voluntary workouts, the University of Houston has shut down all workouts as 6 symptomatic football players tested positive for Covid-19. Houston is another school like Louisiana Tech that had declined to test returning athletes unless they showed symptoms.
every player and athletic staff member should be tested before day one and then every week for the rest of the season............that's the only way it's going to work and even then it's going to be difficult......

Reaction Score
every player and athletic staff member should be tested before day one and then every week for the rest of the season............that's the only way it's going to work and even then it's going to be difficult......

Football & volleyball will be the guinea pigs. Hopefully they get things working well for the real important sport. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Football & volleyball will be the guinea pigs. Hopefully they get things working well for the real important sport. ;)
I had not thought about volleyball as a potential trial run for basketball. But now that I think about it, there are key similarities. Both sports are played indoors on a court with 5 or 6 player teams in close proximity, breathing hard on each other.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In what is anticipated to become a common practice at colleges around the country, returning tOSU athletes are being required to sign a waiver that commits them to follow a number of standard safety practices relative to COVID-19, as well as acknowledging that they may be at risk of contracting the disease.

The practice of signing liability waivers appears to be a growing trend which includes the N.Y. Stock Exchange, political rallies and now college sports. One can only wonder if we will all have to sign waivers before we enter a grocery store or restaurant. That’s not so far fetched. Last week I had to sign a waiver prior to my 6 month visit to the dentist.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In what is anticipated to become a common practice at colleges around the country, returning tOSU athletes are being required to sign a waiver that commits them to follow a number of standard safety practices relative to COVID-19, as well as acknowledging that they may be at risk of contracting the disease.

The practice of signing liability waivers appears to be a growing trend which includes the N.Y. Stock Exchange, political rallies and now college sports. One can only wonder if we will all have to sign waivers before we enter a grocery store or restaurant. That’s not so far fetched. Last week I had to sign a waiver prior to my 6 month visit to the dentist.

In the end, I think Liability will be on the burden of the workplace to maintain an environment consistent with the best practices as defined by medical authority. In that sense, personal waivers do not mean much. If you sign one, and then the place of business is found to be negligent in some way, the waiver will not likely matter and in the opposite direction, you are probably protected against liability if your place of business follows standard medical rules and requirements.

P.S. I am not a lawyer (or anything close).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom