OT: - Returning college athletes test positive | The Boneyard

OT: Returning college athletes test positive

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about the pros and cons involved in attempting to bring back college sports during a pandemic. With some colleges welcoming back football players, as well as some other athletes, for voluntary workouts, there are now eight D1 programs where athletes have tested positive for Covid-19.

Alabama, Arkansas St, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Mississippi, Marshall, TX A&M and Arkansas have all announced positive cases. Stay tuned.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about the pros and cons involved in attempting to bring back college sports during a pandemic. With some colleges welcoming back football players, as well as some other athletes, for voluntary workouts, there are now eight D1 programs where athletes have now tested positive for Covid-19.

Alabama, Arkansas St, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Mississippi, Marshall, TX A&M and Arkansas have all announced positive cases. Stay tuned.

Since these athletes were not in any monitored environment, that is to be expected. Now isolate them for 14 days, test any other members they may have come in (meaningful?) contact with after the initial screening test and retest Hopefully, they will be virus free.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since these athletes were not in any monitored environment, that is to be expected. Now isolate them for 14 days, and retest Hopefully, they will be virus free.
I assume that’s the protocol. But the assumption that colleges can catch every returning athlete before they move into the dorms, eat meals in the cafeteria, workout in the weight room, use the locker rooms and so on seems a little like trying to plug a perpetually leaky dike one finger at a time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I assume that’s the protocol. But the assumption that colleges can catch every returning athlete before they move into the dorms, eat meals in the cafeteria, workout in the weight room, use the locker rooms and so on seems a little like trying to plug a perpetually leaky dike one finger at a time.

I am guessing that scholarship kids are pretty in-tune with what is expected of them regarding getting back onto campus including being tested and not interacting with any college contacts or unmonitored facilities

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am guessing that scholarship kids are pretty in-tune with what is expected of them regarding getting back onto campus including being tested and not interacting with any college contacts or unmonitored facilities
Hope so. If I’m a coach in my 60’s, like a certain WBB coach at UConn, I’m going to lay down the law to all returning players.

Reaction Score
Hope so. If I’m a coach in my 60’s, like a certain WBB coach at UConn, I’m going to lay down the law to all returning players.

Nah, he’s a hands off kind of guy. Will hang in his office with CD (watching practice on the monitor) and let Shea run with the team.

Reaction Score
June is the easy part as I don't believe there are any other students on campus...............the real issue is what happens in September after all of the students and teachers have been within social distancing range multiple times............it's not a matter of anybody getting the virus, the question is how many will get it at the same time and how manageable will that be for each school........they need a lot of rooms/beds for the sick and for those who they have associated with and not every school has that many to spare...........I won't even go into how many new cases we will probably see in the meantime resulting from the massive marches we are still witnessing......

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The problem is: no one knows what the hell is going on, or what the future holds!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about the pros and cons involved in attempting to bring back college sports during a pandemic. With some colleges welcoming back football players, as well as some other athletes, for voluntary workouts, there are now eight D1 programs where athletes have tested positive for Covid-19.

Where the hell is Carnac when we need him? :rolleyes:

Louisville football players and other athletes return to campus AFTER a 14-day home quarantine -

"After being asked to quarantine at home for 14 days before returning to campus, Louisville student-athletes were welcomed back and underwent drive-up coronavirus testing at Cardinal Stadium on Tuesday. "

Louisville officials may have something here. "Quarantine for 14 days BEFORE you return to campus." If it works, UConn may want to try it. If it works, they could try it for EVERY student, faculty/staff member returning to campus for the fall semester. It wouldn't hurt!! It would not prevent the virus from coming on to the campus because you have outside visitors/vendors/independent contractors coming on campus everyday, as well as students that go off campus for various reasons as well as those that commute.

At least everyone coming in would test negative at the outset; and then you do the best you can sanitizing everything and put protocols in place to prevent or slow down the possible spread of the virus. It's a proactive approach to do something to try and get out in front of this thing. It's a thought. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yes, but scholarship athletes only number a few hundred thousand. What about the thousands of other students?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes, but scholarship athletes only number a few hundred thousand. What about the thousands of other students?

No idea what plans will work on such a large population scale but I do not think most schools can survive in remote teaching mode another semester.

Reaction Score
Louisville football players and other athletes return to campus AFTER a 14-day home quarantine -

"After being asked to quarantine at home for 14 days before returning to campus, Louisville student-athletes were welcomed back and underwent drive-up coronavirus testing at Cardinal Stadium on Tuesday. "

Louisville officials may have something here. "Quarantine for 14 days BEFORE you return to campus." If it works, UConn may want to try it. If it works, they could try it for EVERY student, faculty/staff member returning to campus for the fall semester. It wouldn't hurt!! It would not prevent the virus from coming on to the campus because you have outside visitors/vendors/independent contractors coming on campus everyday, as well as students that go off campus for various reasons as well as those that commute.

At least everyone coming in would test negative at the outset; and then you do the best you can sanitizing everything and put protocols in place to prevent or slow down the possible spread of the virus. It's a proactive approach to do something to try and get out in front of this thing. It's a thought. :rolleyes:

I fully expect that all students and staff will have to be tested and shown to be covid free before they are allowed on campus in the fall.........after that bi-weekly testing wouldn't surprise me............

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Looking at our current roster, I imagine only Piath and Mir will be drive to campus for summer school.

When school resumes in the fall, Evina, Anna, and Nika will have to fly.

Makes that 14 day pre-arrival quarantine and testing a touch less effective...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sounds good. Charlie, somebody is going to come up with something. This may or may not be it. On its face, it sounds like it would work for our girls if nothing else, they would all come in negative, and hit the ground running. No concern with touching balls everyone has touched, or physically touching other sweaty bodies if everyone is negative.

I'm sure someone will come up with something in the next 45-60 days. If other programs are allowed to bring their players in for summer workouts, I'm sure Geno will want to. He can't afford to fall behind. He's got six new players that have never practiced or played together. They need to come in for weight room training, team practice and indoctrination as soon as possible.
The truth of the matter is it will all work if everyone is careful and consistent. The danger is if one of the players comes in contact with a non-player who might be positive. That's why I say the players and team associates need to be careful. One of the hospital officials out here described Arizona's best way forward in the pandemic is "exquisite" performance of protocols - particularly the social distancing / masks and such - and that really will apply to athletes as well, because unless they are isolate from the general population at school, you can be certain the general population will not be so careful.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Be nice to know where these positive players come from. It also shows the problem with allowing spectators in.

Reaction Score
Don't see how it is possible or practical to isolate the entire team - players, coaches, trainers, admin., etc. from other students, both on and off campus. Travel brings in another level of complexity. No team in the US is better at operations than UConn but this is a tough issue to manage.

Reaction Score
You just do the best you can. Best scenario it would seem is for all the players on a team to report, ge tested, and discover all have had the virus and have recovered. I expect to hear that we don't know if that provides immunity and if that is true there will never be a vaccine and it will never go away. I choose to believe getting it provides normal immunity.Room someone with immunity with someone who does not to try to hold down spread. This could be a year where a large bench gives a great advantage.

Reaction Score

You would think the same thing about keeping out of trouble and acting like responsible adults. Most do but some do not. Unfortunately.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You can add Auburn to the list of schools announcing positive tests for coronavirus as the school announced yesterday that 3 returning football players had tested positive.

Reaction Score
It will definitely be a challenge to manage things well enough to make a full season of play possible. The protocols and logistics will be complex, and as is the nature of complex systems, particularly when the human element is factored in, the chance of failure will be significant. It can be expected that UConn and all opponents will have players test positive and be out for 2 weeks minimum. Some teams could end up with too few players and have to cancel games or have so few that the game would be uncompetitive and unfair to play.

I hope we can have a season, but pulling it off will be a bear!!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
ALL 10 team members can arrive a day or two on campus or at a predetermined location (off campus hotel) under constant monitoring and supervision BEFORE the quarantine begins. They can quarantine on campus or some where in Storrs. Where there is a will, there's a way. Even if you are forced to think outside the box, and do something that has never been done before. Quarantining the team is a simple matter. All you have to do is figure out how to do it. There will be many obstacles in the path to playing this season. They have to be removed or conquered. They figured out how to put a man on the moon and return him safely, they can figure this out. Don't sell them short. They'll figure it out!! :cool:

Now add in the men’s basketball team and the football team.

Then the rest of fall sports.

Then 30,000 students plus faculty and staff.

It’s naive to think this can really be done without spreading the virus, people just have to decide whether the benefit of going back to a modified normal outweighs the potential human toll.

And universities are deciding they can’t afford not to open.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s a head scratcher. After fellow Sunbelt conference foe Arkansas St announced 3 positive coronavirus cases for returning football players, Louisiana Lafayette has stated that they are not testing all returning athletes, which includes potentially 85 football players who will be arriving on campus today. The explanation is that they want to reserve testing materials for people with symptoms. Hard to comprehend...

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Argonaut, read my comment again. My comment focused on our women's basketball team only. I'm not adding in any other team. You're taking my comment to places I did not go. One thing at a time. I'm not concerned about the 30,000 students, faculty, staff or the football team. All things in time. They will be taken care of. Protocols and provisions will be put in place for them also. Right now, I'm only focusing on the women's team. If you have concerns or issues about THEM, I'm listening.

If they were saying that only women’s basketball would be allowed back, then I’d agree with you. I don’t think I’d trust a coaching staff more than Geno & Co. to keep them safe if they were the only ones on campus.

But considering that it’s not just women’s team on campus now and it won’t be in the future, you have to look at the big picture.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom