Returners, newcomers fighting for minutes on deep, talented team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Returners, newcomers fighting for minutes on deep, talented team

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I Agree. If Aubrey doesn't show a lot of improvement in her offense, she will get in the game when Geno needs her in the game. Perhaps to stop an opponent who is having a career day, but not part of the normal rotation.
ain't that true for everyone? he will sit anyone

it seems to me there is a faction in the BY that undervalues contributions of defense and energy and highly overvalues the specialty of putting the ball through the ring

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

it seems to me there is a faction in the BY that undervalues contributions of defense and energy and highly overvalues the specialty of putting the ball through the ring
That is probable very true but regarding Aubrey specifically her defensive contributions are undeniable =best perimeter defender on the team. The down side of Aubrey is not so much her inability to put the ball in the basket but her overall impact on the offensive flow when she is in the game. The ball sticks when Aubrey is in the game and her movement is hesitant as if she is not sure what to do next or where to go on the floor. As a freshman Geno attempted to simply things for Aubrey and early in her Sophomore year Aubrey appeared to gain and understanding of the UCONN offense but that hesitancy returned about mid way through the season-perhaps do to her injury.

Reaction Score
And then 2015-16 with Saniya, Gabby, Kia, Natalie, Lou, and Pheesa replacing the graduates.

But probably the best roster depth is 2000-01. Here is a box score from early that year before the injuries. (People forget that the first player to go down that year was Ashley Battle who was showing signs of being a very useful disruptive force in her first 5 games. Not the star that Sveta and Shea were, but fast and defensive minded.)
Looks like a ten player rotation. Remember thinking back then that the “bench” would have beaten most of the teams we played. Side … nice game for Svet!

Reaction Score
I Agree. If Aubrey doesn't show a lot of improvement in her offense, she will get in the game when Geno needs her in the game. Perhaps to stop an opponent who is having a career day, but not part of the normal rotation.
Good point … much like Ashley Battle was often used back in the day.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

@PacoSwede mostly we agree, but here I step away. Defense is important of course but the objective is to score more than your opponent - its called basketball 'cuz that is where the ball is suppose to go. About every shot Aubrey takes is a hold your breath. Do you remember the first shot in overtime in the USC game? Aubrey rocketed to the basket, soared to the rim and clanked the layup. Aubrey's stellar athleticism certainly augments her defensive capability and there will be occasions when that has priority and will put her in the game, but I hope Geno will default to a player who can reliably score within the flow of UConn's offense.

Reaction Score
That is probable very true but regarding Aubrey specifically her defensive contributions are undeniable =best perimeter defender on the team. The down side of Aubrey is not so much her inability to put the ball in the basket but her overall impact on the offensive flow when she is in the game. The ball sticks when Aubrey is in the game and her movement is hesitant as if she is not sure what to do next or where to go on the floor. As a freshman Geno attempted to simply things for Aubrey and early in her Sophomore year Aubrey appeared to gain and understanding of the UCONN offense but that hesitancy returned about mid way through the season-perhaps do to her injury.
Preach to me. I completely agree. On offense the ball sticks when Aubrey is in the game. Mir has the same challenge. Aubrey always looks panicked when she gets the ball and like a hot potato just goes to the rim whether that is the best shot or not. Watching her face sometimes, its like she doesn't know what the play is. If she can get to that complete player stage, watch out because she has the talent and athleticism to do it.

Reaction Score
There is someone not on the list who belongs there. Amari. She is already the 2nd best 6’5” player on the roster behind Dorka.
What?? I think you’re forgetting Liv. Her and Dorka are also far above Amari. And most of the other players below 6’5 are as well. Someone has already stated (maybe in a different thread) but Amari couldn’t break the rotation for FIBA and the huskies have a lot more talent, so I think she’ll again have a hard time getting into games.

Reaction Score
There is someone not on the list who belongs there. Amari. She is already the 2nd best 6’5” player on the roster behind Dorka.
Is ONO 6'4" now? Or are you suggesting something else?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's the way the game is evolving, O trumps D. Evolve or die.

Reaction Score
I do agree that Aubrey needs to get a midrange shot at least and be able participate in the offense. And what I am saying is that Aubrey and Mir need to do more than clean up the glass and get the ball and go to the rim. They need to learn how to be complete players and participate in working the ball around and getting to a great shot for someone else too....in my opinion.
I’m going to sort of agree- but there is a big difference between cleaning the boards and CLEANING THE G/D BOARDS.
If you can give me 10-15 boards a night, sweeping up the offensive end, I’ll FIND playing time for you.
Clean the boards, kick it out to shooters/scorers and chip in with some points from the line (from fouls on the offensive end), you will be MORE than earning your keep.
That works for me.
Biggley.

Reaction Score
I do not know that in fact.

Reaction Score
I’m going to sort of agree- but there is a big difference between cleaning the boards and CLEANING THE G/D BOARDS.
If you can give me 10-15 boards a night, sweeping up the offensive end, I’ll FIND playing time for you.
Clean the boards, kick it out to shooters/scorers and chip in with some points from the line (from fouls on the offensive end), you will be MORE than earning your keep.
That works for me.
Biggley.
And kick out is the operative phrase in your post. More often than not, Mir and Aubrey will just go back up rather than kick out even when they are in a terrible position on the court to go back up... I would love it if both of them could kick out consistently because that would be participating in the offense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, Geno said 8-9. I count 10:

Paige
Nika
Liv
Christyn
Evina
Aaliyah
Aubrey
Dorka
Caroline
Azzi

Is there someone on that list who doesn't belong?
Instead naming the 9 that I thought would be included in the rotation, I was going to name those that I thought WOULD NOT. I completely agree with your list. I'm NOT going to suggest who the starters will or should be, only that the rotation Geno mentioned will come from THIS list of players. Geno may or may not already have in mind who his 5 starters will be. We can pretty much GUESS who the first 7 will be.

Who the starters will be is anyone's guess at THIS point. We all know who WE would start. Three returning players I would bet the farm will start are Paige, Olivia and Christyn. It's possible that Dorka and/or Aaliyah could force their way into the stating line up, maybe not. Coaches start their BEST 5 players. IF in practice, Aaliyah and Dorka work their way up to the top 5, than I assume they start. Geno said "no gimmes" this year. Everyone earns their role/minutes. It's possible these two force Geno to start them. Time will tell.

Too early to tell. Those first 7 should get the bulk of the minutes the first half of the season for sure. Games against Notre Dame, Tennessee, Oregon, South Carolina UCLA and Louisville all on the road will no doubt limit how far down the bench Geno will be willing to go. I perceive these games to be UConn's most competitive games on schedule. Arkansas should be competitive, but Chelsea Dungee and her 38 points won't be walking through the door on game day for the Razorbacks.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought for sure the Tennessee game was a home game.

Reaction Score
Instead naming the 9 that I thought would be included in the rotation, I was going to name those that I thought WOULD NOT. I completely agree with your list. I'm NOT going to suggest who the starters will or should be, only that the rotation Geno mentioned will come from THIS list of players. Geno may or may not already have in mind who his 5 starters will be. We can pretty much GUESS who the first 7 will be.

Who the starters will be is anyone's guess at THIS point. We all know who WE would start. Three returning players I would bet the farm will start are Paige, Olivia and Christyn. It's possible that Dorka and/or Aaliyah could force their way into the stating line up, maybe not. Coaches start their BEST 5 players. IF in practice, Aaliyah and Dorka work their way up to the top 5, than I assume they start. Geno said "no gimmes" this year. Everyone earns their role/minutes. It's possible these two force Geno to start them. Time will tell.

Too early to tell. Those first 7 should get the bulk of the minutes the first half of the season for sure. Games against Notre Dame, Tennessee, Oregon, South Carolina UCLA and Louisville all on the road will no doubt limit how far down the bench Geno will be willing to go. I perceive these games to be UConn's most competitive games on schedule. Arkansas should be competitive, but Chelsea Dungee and her 38 points won't be walking through the door on game day for the Razorbacks.
I think Evina is a bet the farm starter too...

Reaction Score

I believe Notre Dame, Tennessee and Louisville (Mohegan Sun) are home games. And isn't UCLA neutral?

Reaction Score
I want to double down on Coco's comments that it is not about her inability to score, but her impact on offensive flow. In terms of offensive production Aubrey is above average in both her rate of scoring and efficiency. Does she produce points efficiently? Yes, but some on the Boneyard have labeled her an unable to score which is just false.

She just doesn't do it in a traditional way or as Coco points out within the offensive flow. Frequently a good spot up three point shooter that can't create their own shot will not score at a higher rate than a good slasher/offensive rebounder because their opportunities are limited to when the defense leaves them open. What they can provide that does not show up in their personal numbers, however, is floor spacing which clearly helps the other players on the floor.

As a backup but undersized PF to Aaliyah I think she is very good even if she doesn't have a well defined role in a set offense, but it would be better if she did. The deeper roster could actually help her in a couple of ways. First if we press more and push the pace on offense that would work to her favor. Second we added superior outside shooting with Azzi, Caroline, and perhaps Dorka and Sailor. If you have some great three point threats on the floor at the other positions, their ability to spread the floor minimizes Aubrey's inability to do the same and may provide more room for her slashing to the basket.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe Notre Dame, Tennessee and Louisville (Mohegan Sun) are home games. And isn't UCLA neutral?
Pardon me everyone, an honest mistake. I had the schedule in front of me as I was writing this comment. You're correct. Originally I was only list road games in my comment, then decided to add games against ALL of the ELITE teams they play. I forgot to delete the "on the road" portion. I also failed to catch that when I proof read it. So much for proof reading.

My thought was that against these elite programs, Geno will probably become near sighted and not see beyond the first two players on the bench, maybe 3. Unless UConn is blowing out the opponent in one of these games, players 9-14 on the depth chart shouldn't expect a lot of minutes. IF UConn loses a game during the regular season, it will be to one of the elite teams I mentioned. Tenn and ND will be improved over last year. They ALWAYS play UConn tough. I think Louisville, Oregon and South Carolina will our 3 biggest games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to double down on Coco's comments that it is not about her inability to score, but her impact on offensive flow. In terms of offensive production Aubrey is above average in both her rate of scoring and efficiency. Does she produce points efficiently? Yes, but some on the Boneyard have labeled her an unable to score which is just false.

She just doesn't do it in a traditional way or as Coco points out within the offensive flow. Frequently a good spot up three point shooter that can't create their own shot will not score at a higher rate than a good slasher/offensive rebounder because their opportunities are limited to when the defense leaves them open. What they can provide that does not show up in their personal numbers, however, is floor spacing which clearly helps the other players on the floor.

As a backup but undersized PF to Aaliyah I think she is very good even if she doesn't have a well defined role in a set offense, but it would be better if she did. The deeper roster could actually help her in a couple of ways. First if we press more and push the pace on offense that would work to her favor. Second we added superior outside shooting with Azzi, Caroline, and perhaps Dorka and Sailor. If you have some great three point threats on the floor at the other positions, their ability to spread the floor minimizes Aubrey's inability to do the same and may provide more room for her slashing to the basket.
FINALLY- someone mentions Saylor’s name.
Thought she may have been banished by the BY.
Why such sleeper status??

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Yeah, Geno said 8-9. I count 10:

Paige
Nika
Liv
Christyn
Evina
Aaliyah
Aubrey
Dorka
Caroline
Azzi

Is there someone on that list who doesn't belong?
I agree with this lineup. Geno will have two starting five- he has to. I would say they rotate based on who they play and/or game strategy (3G or G and F sets). Others will pick up minutes most likely at a time that supports team needs.

Reaction Score
Pardon me everyone, an honest mistake. I had the schedule in front of me as I was writing this comment. You're correct. Originally I was only list road games in my comment, then decided to add games against ALL of the ELITE teams they play. I forgot to delete the "on the road" portion. I also failed to catch that when I proof read it. So much for proof reading.

My thought was that against these elite programs, Geno will probably become near sighted and not see beyond the first two players on the bench, maybe 3. Unless UConn is blowing out the opponent in one of these games, players 9-14 on the depth chart shouldn't expect a lot of minutes.
I think he’s going to go deeper.
He’s got the talent.
Gotta run ‘em and see what they got in game situations.

Reaction Score
FINALLY- someone mentions Saylor’s name.
Thought she may have been banished by the BY.
Why such sleeper status??
Likely because she’s injured, Geno/teammates haven’t made any comments about her to the media, she didn’t do anything impressive last season (which is totally not her fault given circumstances) but still a reason. Unlike Caroline who we got a new development of her having the chance of having a prominent role on the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom