Returners, newcomers fighting for minutes on deep, talented team | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Returners, newcomers fighting for minutes on deep, talented team

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Ono was all that Geno wouldn't be bringing in a senior at her spot.
That’s just not true. Look at South Carolina, if Boston was all that they wouldn’t be bringing in Cardoso. Ono definitely needs to improve but even if she was playing at an all American level, Dorka wouldn’t be turned away.
:eek: You are definitely right-AA level is too high. If ONO was playing at a First Team all BE level Dorka would be a distant after thought for UCONN and UCONN fans would not be as salty that Boston is an actual AA playing in SC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who did Geno recruit over Ono? Did Geno come out and STATE that Dorka was recruited over Ono? If that's what you are implying then didn't Geno recruit Azzi over Paige, or Caroline over CW? Dorka approached Geno not the other way around, so there wasn't any recruitment. With Anna leaving he had a chance to bring in an established player who would fill her spot with more height who also can play either the 4 or 5 spot. Now for the AA level statement, you can say the same with CW, BUT you didn't, because she hasn't earned any AA status either.
I think you are getting tied up in the semantics. I said "brought in" first. Brought in, recruited; same thing no matter who initiates contact. And comparing bringing in a senior to normal HS recruiting is nonsense, as is saying Dorka is filling the spot of a player that couldn't get off the bench. She was brought in to help improve the position Ono plays. And I have no clue what you are talking about with your AA stuff. I think all that Sina music is affecting your brain.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is a Game UCONN won-so again I don't see the need to blame anyone. Although will not use the word blame I have no issues with your assessment that several players could have played better in this game as long as you include Liv in that group of players that could have played better.

My post was written in response to this @oldude statement :

"UConn doesn’t beat SC without Paige’s 31 pts. But Paige doesn’t get 31 without Liv’s passing and screening."

My POV is this is yet another attempt to inflate the contributions of one player (Liv) over another (Paige) and well beyond any reasonable interpretation what really happened. What really happened was this: Liv was substituted for with 2:28 remaining in regulation play and SC holding a 4 Point lead. It took two Paige buckets and UCONN defending 3 SC FGA at the buzzer to get the game in overtime. During that stretch Liv was a spectator while Aaliyah and Aubrey were battling Boston and Saxton on the boards. Liv would return to the game with 1:48 and UCONN down 3. By the time Liv returned to the game Paige had scored 6 points from one "unassisted" basket + one basket from an assist from Aaliyah and two shots from the foul line. Paige's two baskets during the OT which brought UCONN from 3 down to put them up by 1 were both "unassisted". Paige's final basket was assisted by Liv. Why was Liv a spectator during much of crunch time? It was because she had 4 fouls and she had not made a shot since the 2nd quarter of the game. To her credit Liv dished out 6 assists in this game all of them on Paige baskets.
Pointing out what actually happen is not blaming, consider it a measure to cure this hyper inflation.
The only hyper inflation is your posts, but when called out you try to make it the other person. Everyone had a bad game or two last year. Sometimes they had more than one player have a bad game, like the Arkansas and Arizona games, but the only one you have ragged about has been Liv. I didn't see you blame Paige for the loss to Arizona even though she had one of the worst shooting nights. You didn't blame any of the guards for the loss to Arkansas, even though 82 of the 90 points were scored by the guards. You blame Liv for getting in foul trouble in the SC game, but at least 2 of the 4 fouls that were called were iffy at best because all of a sudden the refs started calling the so called illegal blocks because of the legs being too far out. Dee Kantner is the one that called most of those and she has always appeared to be, "in my opinion" biased against UConn. Even Geno stated that he didn't like those calls and said that they affected the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s just not true. Look at South Carolina, if Boston was all that they wouldn’t be bringing in Cardoso. Ono definitely needs to improve but even if she was playing at an all American level, Dorka wouldn’t be turned away.
Exactly! Like I would rather people just say they don’t like Liv at this point than to make excuses lol

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think you are getting tied up in the semantics. I said "brought in" first. Brought in, recruited; same thing no matter who initiates contact. And comparing bringing in a senior to normal HS recruiting is nonsense, as is saying Dorka is filling the spot of a player that couldn't get off the bench. She was brought in to help improve the position Ono plays. And I have no clue what you are talking about with your AA stuff. I think all that Sina music is affecting your brain.
SC is not UConn. Geno has never been known to over-recruit. If Ono was playing at an AA level, she would have a ring and I doubt highly would be recruited over.
The bold red is your earlier quote that I was talking about, but I guess your age must be affecting your brain because you only posted an hour and a half earlier than the post that you have no clue what I was talking about.

Reaction Score
By this logic Geno brought in Natalie Butler during the Stewie era… did he over recruit Tuck and Stewie? Lol

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only hyper inflation is your posts, but when called out you try to make it the other person. Everyone had a bad game or two last year. Sometimes they had more than one player have a bad game, like the Arkansas and Arizona games, but the only one you have ragged about has been Liv. I didn't see you blame Paige for the loss to Arizona even though she had one of the worst shooting nights. You didn't blame any of the guards for the loss to Arkansas, even though 82 of the 90 points were scored by the guards. You blame Liv for getting in foul trouble in the SC game, but at least 2 of the 4 fouls that were called were iffy at best because all of a sudden the refs started calling the so called illegal blocks because of the legs being too far out. Dee Kantner is the one that called most of those and she has always appeared to be, "in my opinion" biased against UConn. Even Geno stated that he didn't like those calls and said that they affected the game.
First hyper inflation and now enabling by blaming the refs for Liv's foul troubles.

Schitts Creek Good Job GIF by CBC

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Exactly! Like I would rather people just say they don’t like Liv at this point than to make excuses lol
It's not a matter of not liking Liv. She can only do what she can do and I don't doubt her effort. My issue is the Yarders here going to great lengths to ignore what is right in front of them. Ono might make the leap this year to be the player they say she is, but I'm thinking that's not the way to bet and so did Geno.

Reaction Score
:eek: You are definitely right-AA level is too high. If ONO was playing at a First Team all BE level Dorka would be a distant after thought for UCONN and UCONN fans would not be as salty that Boston is an actual AA playing in SC.
My point primarily is that Dorka wouldn’t be turned away if Liv was more talented. We definitely need her either way. But Geno said Dorka really wanted to come to UConn, do you guys think he should have just said no if Liv was at the needed talent level.
Uconn’s recruiting strategy has changed, there seem to be more offers out there and more players recruited.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No where in my post or in the post that I was commenting to had anything to do with Paige winning the NPOY. I was rebutting @CocoHusky post where he was "in my opinion" trying to make Liv the scapegoat for Paige having to become Super Husky to beat SC.
Sorry. The thought was totally disconnected from your point . Just reminded of it with all the SCar talk.:oops:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My point primarily is that Dorka wouldn’t be turned away if Liv was more talented. We definitely need her either way. But Geno said Dorka really wanted to come to UConn, do you guys think he should have just said no if Liv was at the needed talent level.
Uconn’s recruiting strategy has changed, there seem to be more offers out there and more players recruited.
The recruiting strategy has changed I agree with you. Let me flip that for a second with an honest question: Do you believe Dorka would have even considered UCONN had Liv been playing at AA level and especially considering the promise that Aaliyah displayed as a freshman? I don't because under those circumstances Dorka would be looking at deep back up minutes similar to Natalie Butler. As things stand right now Dorka will play a lot and that is directly attributable to ONO lack of development-as much as some don't want to admit it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess the words "Pure Hypothetical" which is the way the post started didn't do much for you?
Yep. Probably should not have copied the prior post to add on my mostly unrelated thoughts. :oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
The recruiting strategy has changed I agree with you. Let me flip that for a second with an honest question: Do you believe Dorka would have even considered UCONN had Liv been playing at AA level and especially considering the promise that Aaliyah displayed as a freshman? I don't because under those circumstances Dorka would be looking at deep back up minutes similar to Natalie Butler. As things stand right now Dorka will play a lot and that is directly attributable to ONO lack of development-as much as some don't want to admit it.
I do understand what you’re saying and that’s a hard hypothetical question to which I don’t have an answer because I genuinely don’t know. I’m sure that did contribute to her wanting to come to Uconn under the premise she would get more playing time.

My initial response was to the user stating “If Ono was all that Geno wouldn't be bringing in a senior at her spot.” And I do still feel the same that even if Ono was all that Geno would be happy bringing in talented veteran transfers. Now would Dorka still want to come if Ono was all that, I’m not sure.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
First hyper inflation and now enabling by blaming the refs for Liv's foul troubles.

Schitts Creek Good Job GIF by CBC
Go back and watch the SC game, there at least 4 screens that were called illegal blocks because of the feet being too far apart. Geno even had comments about it and thought they were bad calls. The announcers even said something about Dawn yelling at the refs about them and lough and behold they start getting called. So yes I do blame the refs for some of the calls that Liv got. In no other game was those illegal screens called out like the SC game, even though they were doing the same thing.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That is, with qualifications, a valid point. However, I think it's more subtle than the dichotomy that you have described.

Suppose that Liv were talented and productive at an AA level, but still foul-prone? That would limit her minutes despite her productivity, and would provide minutes for Dorka or someone like her.

Or what if Liv were not foul-prone and was performing at an AA level on both offense and defense, but was limited in her (reliable) shooting range? In other words, what if she could score reliably within 5 feet of the basket, but still could not sink longer shots at any reasonable percentage? That, too, would open up minutes for a player such as Dorka.

Or, what if Liv were AA in every dimension and not foul prone, but Aaliyah remained (or remains) foul prone. That scenario would open up minutes for Dorka and Liv to play together. If it turns out (which I doubt) that Dorka is as strong a rebounder as Aaliyah and is as quick running the floor, that may happen anyway.

If I were Dorka, I think I would be confident enough of my own abilities to believe that I could get my minutes irrespective of the level of competition on the team. So I would still come to UConn if the opportunity beckoned.

Reaction Score
Guess we'll all just have to wait till game time and see who starts, how many minutes everyone plays, who is off the bench first and most importantly, who contributes to The Cause.
I've seen lots of interviews with various players, but nothing from Liv.
As a matter of fact, I don't recall Liv being interviewed at halftime or post-game last year. Or previously, for that matter.
I could be wrong, of course, but she seems to be kind of reserved and maybe is uncomfortable with that kind of scrutiny.
Luckily, she has some teammates that will pick up slack and divert the attention from her.
Let's all hope she can bring some additional oomph to her game, make everybody happy and maybe she'll be a bit more eloquent.
I don't see Geno throwing all the patience, conservative philosophy and somewhat stingy bench usage completely to the wind because he has an expanded talent pool. The game against Providence, where he seemed to just get fed up with what was going on and just yanked most of the starters, was an aberration to say the least. But probably got the attention of a few people.
I don't think he's on any type of hot seat as far as his job goes. Although I'm sure the talk about the "Final Four" jinx has to rub him the wrong way by now. Let's see how sad he looks cutting down the net.
I'm glad we are only a few weeks away from takeoff. Things are really heating up in here, although I must admit I enjoy the various opinions put forth.
We'll all have some new games and new things to crow about. Hopefully, not too many things to complain about.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
By this logic Geno brought in Natalie Butler during the Stewie era… did he over recruit Tuck and Stewie? Lol
Uhm... not exactly. Natalie joined a UCONN roster that included 4 Freshman who were either wings or guards and more significantly included two walk on players which only brought the roster to 12. Morgan Tuck had also had missed the majority of the prior season as a medical redshirt. The next UCONN class when Natalie was finally eligible would included 3 SF size players and Kiah Stokes as a senior and Natalie was only a sophomore by eligibility standards. Natalie did not turn out to be the "game changer" as Geno had predicted. UCONN overcame Natalie's early departure and lack of development by converting two of those SF/wing players into AA Post players. By contrast Dorka was the 14th person added to the roster which included no walk on players, 0 AA Post players, and by eligibility standards Dorka is a senior by eligibility.

Reaction Score
If Ono was all that Geno wouldn't be bringing in a senior at her spot.
Why not? Dorka was brought in because Geno felt she could help the team get better. I would be willing to bet that, if the situation were reversed and Dorka were the UConn starter and Liv the transfer, he would have taken Liv as well. Skilled 6’5” post players with good character, sound academics, and a strong work ethic will always be in demand! Dorka is here to complement ONO, not to replace her!

Reaction Score
This is a Game UCONN won-so again I don't see the need to blame anyone. Although will not use the word blame I have no issues with your assessment that several players could have played better in this game as long as you include Liv in that group of players that could have played better.

My post was written in response to this @oldude statement :

"UConn doesn’t beat SC without Paige’s 31 pts. But Paige doesn’t get 31 without Liv’s passing and screening."

My POV is this is yet another attempt to inflate the contributions of one player (Liv) over another (Paige) and well beyond any reasonable interpretation what really happened. What really happened was this: Liv was substituted for with 2:28 remaining in regulation play and SC holding a 4 Point lead. It took two Paige buckets and UCONN defending 3 SC FGA at the buzzer to get the game in overtime. During that stretch Liv was a spectator while Aaliyah and Aubrey were battling Boston and Saxton on the boards. Liv would return to the game with 1:48 and UCONN down 3. By the time Liv returned to the game Paige had scored 6 points from one "unassisted" basket + one basket from an assist from Aaliyah and two shots from the foul line. Paige's two baskets during the OT which brought UCONN from 3 down to put them up by 1 were both "unassisted". Paige's final basket was assisted by Liv. Why was Liv a spectator during much of crunch time? It was because she had 4 fouls and she had not made a shot since the 2nd quarter of the game. To her credit Liv dished out 6 assists in this game all of them on Paige baskets.
Pointing out what actually happen is not blaming, consider it a measure to cure this hyper inflation.
Pointing out that Liv assisted on 6 of PB’s baskets is surely not intended to “inflate the contributions” of Liv over Paige! The point is that there are many ways to contribute to the overall success of the team beyond scoring. Clearly, ONO has had issues in big games. However, in this game she contributed more than her fellow Juniors so I’m a little uncertain why she is being singled out for this particular game?

Reaction Score
Uhm... not exactly. Natalie joined a UCONN roster that included 4 Freshman who were either wings or guards and more significantly included two walk on players which only brought the roster to 12. Morgan Tuck had also had missed the majority of the prior season as a medical redshirt. The next UCONN class when Natalie was finally eligible would included 3 SF size players and Kiah Stokes as a senior and Natalie was only a sophomore by eligibility standards. Natalie did not turn out to be the "game changer" as Geno had predicted. UCONN overcame Natalie's early departure and lack of development by converting two of those SF/wing players into AA Post players. By contrast Dorka was the 14th person added to the roster which included no walk on players, 0 AA Post players, and by eligibility standards Dorka is a senior by eligibility.
Dorka is the 14th person added to a group of primarily underclassmen with no depth at which position… hmm.. I wonder which position we have no depth and experience at… can anybody guess.

Reaction Score
Pointing out that Liv assisted on 6 of PB’s baskets is surely not intended to “inflate the contributions” of Liv over Paige! The point is that there are many ways to contribute to the overall success of the team beyond scoring. Clearly, ONO has had issues in big games. However, in this game she contributed more than her fellow Juniors so I’m a little uncertain why she is being singled out for this particular game?
They have no excuse just another way to point blame at Liv as if basketball is a singular game

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Go back and watch the SC game, there at least 4 screens that were called illegal blocks because of the feet being too far apart. Geno even had comments about it and thought they were bad calls. The announcers even said something about Dawn yelling at the refs about them and lough and behold they start getting called. So yes I do blame the refs for some of the calls that Liv got. In no other game was those illegal screens called out like the SC game, even though they were doing the same thing.
You would think one bad call would have been enough to learn from and not repeat for a Junior UCONN player?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Actually the SC game was first brought up as an example of a "Big game" in which Liv played well. I believe she set a personal best for assist. Please note that my post began with "My POV" which is clearly different than yours. To expand on my POV-you can certainly point out that Liv had six assist in the SC game in a complementary way without stating that Paige could not have done what she did( 31 Points ) without Liv. Liv played in 69 NCAA games before Paige played in her first. I just think we have that equation (expectations?) backwards as in Liv should be doing more to help Paige than she did in this particular game specifically and for the entire season in general.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wheres this energy for Evina and CW who were complete no shows in the game?
No energy required because Evina and CW do not have a "history" of foul trouble. Both Evina and Christyn played poorly in this game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom