Retirement Locations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Retirement Locations

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dealing with the recent heavy wet snow, even with a snowblower, I was aware that I really don't want to be doing that when I'm 60. Hadn't really considered retiring in the usual places, Florida for example, but if I could find the right spot I might be able to convince my wife.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dealing with the recent heavy wet snow, even with a snowblower, I was aware that I really don't want to be doing that when I'm 60. Hadn't really considered retiring in the usual places, Florida for example, but if I could find the right spot I might be able to convince my wife.

I talk with my dad a few times a week. For anything more than a few inches he just waits for it to melt off or calls up to have driveway done.

Where I am in far western panhandle of Florida we get frost somewhat regularly during mid-December through February. I like seeing the grass go dormant and oaks lose their leaves as it gives the illusion of seasonal change through fall and winter.

Whenever I tell him it's 40 degrees and raining, he reminds me you don't have to shovel rain.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I talk with my dad a few times a week. For anything more than a few inches he just waits for it to melt off or calls up to have driveway done.

Where I am in far western panhandle of Florida we get frost somewhat regularly during mid-December through February. I like seeing the grass go dormant and oaks lose their leaves as it gives the illusion of seasonal change through fall and winter.

Whenever I tell him it's 40 degrees and raining, he reminds me you don't have to shovel rain.

Waiting isn’t really an option here. My driveway would be impassable, probably for several weeks in a row. It’s steep and curves at the top. So can’t be plowed either. So it’s me or we don’t leave the house for weeks at a time. And nothing could be delivered either. One reason I like Cape Cod in winter is that the snow is much less and melts quickly. Cooler summers too.

How is that panhandle region or the Bama coast in summer? I do still hate hot humid weather too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Waiting isn’t really an option here. My driveway would be impassable, probably for several weeks in a row. It’s steep and curves at the top. So can’t be plowed either. So it’s me or we don’t leave the house for weeks at a time. And nothing could be delivered either. One reason I like Cape Cod in winter is that the snow is much less and melts quickly. Cooler summers too.

How is that panhandle region or the Bama coast in summer? I do still hate hot humid weather too.

July and August can be, and usually are, insufferably hot and humid. No getting around that. The dog days of summer rings true. However, almost all the country is baking during the summer months. September and October bother me more than July and August because I am expecting a break from the heat and it doesn't really come until mid to late October.
The mitigation to the heat and humidity is you have the beaches where the temps are relatively more mild and you'll have some breeze. Indoor, screened in pools are common and it's not hard to find a home with them.
One of the biggest bummers to me down here is you really can't swim in fresh water lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. Alligators are in all of them. And you can't forget about cottonmouths either.
Recreational boating is very popular too with a bunch of barrier islands and sand dunes that draw thousands. This area is sometimes called the Redneck Riviera. If you're not in to getting and buying a boat for yourself, make friends with someone who has one. Throw $50 their way every other time you join them for gas and bring your own cooler, food and ice and you'll always have an invite in the future.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
July and August can be, and usually are, insufferably hot and humid. No getting around that. The dog days of summer rings true. However, almost all the country is baking during the summer months. September and October bother me more than July and August because I am expecting a break from the heat and it doesn't really come until mid to late October.
The mitigation to the heat and humidity is you have the beaches where the temps are relatively more mild and you'll have some breeze. Indoor, screened in pools are common and it's not hard to find a home with them.
One of the biggest bummers to me down here is you really can't swim in fresh water lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. Alligators are in all of them. And you can't forget about cottonmouths either.
Recreational boating is very popular too with a bunch of barrier islands and sand dunes that draw thousands. This area is sometimes called the Redneck Riviera. If you're not in to getting and buying a boat for yourself, make friends with someone who has one. Throw $50 their way every other time you join them for gas and bring your own cooler, food and ice and you'll always have an invite in the future.

Ha. You are convincing me to stay with Cape Cod (I guess there's a reason it is so expensive), or to snowbird it.

I wish some mod would move this to Travel where I meant to put it.

Reaction Score
Portugal is lovely. Such nice people. My wife and I went before we got married, which helped convince us we wouldn't kill each other. That was pre-EU, and everything was astonishingly cheap. Wonderful meals with a bottle of wine for like $25.

But I can't learn any new language due to my hearing, so it's English language only for me. Ireland is a possibility, but winter is long and dark, if not cold.
We only spent a little time in Portugal. Because one of the major industries is British tourism, in certain parts of the country most of the folks speak English. I've heard it is sometimes called Britain's California. So depending where you are language may not be a big problem. I agree how nice the folks are and they really like Americans which I think is because we are rare.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We only spent a little time in Portugal. Because one of the major industries is British tourism, in certain parts of the country most of the folks speak English. I've heard it is sometimes called Britain's California. So depending where you are language may not be a big problem. I agree how nice the folks are and they really like Americans which I think is because we are rare.

Yes, that's the Algarve on the southern coast. It is indeed where the Brits go to get warm, if a lot more scenic than Florida.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's the Algarve on the southern coast. It is indeed where the Brits go to get warm, if a lot more scenic than Florida.

Totally agree. Algarve reminded me of San Diego and LaJolla. Beautiful coast line, sand cliffs, cold water. And Lisbon has a lot of San Franciso, city on hills, next to water, lots of low rises, big beautiful bay, right down to the orange suspention bridge.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'downtown' newport, r.i.
'downtown' essex, ct.
'edge boston' coolidge corner, brookline, ma.
'course, i ain't ever moving anywhere permanently, but we have been looking to get back into newport again.
like everywhere else here in the good ol USA, i greatly enjoy visiting florida from time to time (had a place in marco for a bit. pops has cool pic of close relatives in miami/beach? dated 1890s something. it was a studio pic, with fake palms and sand on the floor. that started it for us there. some progeny from them went to orlando after getting out of the service in ww1, and bought some dirt there. my new favorite flaplace is up in the panhandle, yet for some unknown reason to me, a lot of friends have been buying places in tampa. mebbe it's a lowcosts thing? idk.)
now, im heading out to play/move some snow (my 'healthclub!), as it's starting to add up.
i don't expect to see any gators or boa's as we dig out some neglected areas, cuz they don't wear gloves or galoshes. dress appropriately, and it's always 'all good!'
flipflops or redwings - makes no difference to me. anywhere is a good place if you like it, and nowhere is a good place iffn u don't.
we luv Connecticut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom